- U.S. U-23 WNT Will Travel to Portland, Oregon and Orlando, Florida for Back-To-Back Training Camps
- Klimkova Calls Up 26 Players for U-19 WNT Training Camp in Florida
- USA Draws Senegal, Saudi Arabia and Ecuador in Group F for 2017 U-20 World Cup in Korea Republic
- Five Things to Know: The 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Korea Republic
- John Ellinger, Jozy Altidore and Kyle Beckerman Reflect on the History of U-17 Residency Program
- U.S. Soccer Residency Program Set to Complete Final Semester After 18 Years
- U.S. Soccer, KT Tape Extend Partnership Through World Cup, Olympic and Paralympic Campaigns
- U.S. Soccer Announces Next A-Youth and B Course Dates
CHICAGO (March 23, 2017) – U.S. Women’s National Team head coach Jill Ellis has named a 24-player training camp roster for two matches against Russia, taking place on April 6 at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas (7:30 p.m. CT; FS1 with the pre-game show starting at 7 p.m. CT) and April 9 at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston (1 p.m. CT on ESPN).
Ellis will choose 18 players for the game roster for each match. These will be the final U.S. WNT matches before the National Women’s Soccer League kicks off its fifth season with four games on April 15.
Ellis named three goalkeepers, six defenders, eight midfielders and seven forwards, although numerous players can play multiple positions. Nineteen of the players selected were on the roster for the 2017 SheBelieves Cup in March. Ellis has recalled midfielder Megan Rapinoe (117 caps/31 goals) and has given a first call-up to new Boston Breakers defender Megan Oyster, who had a quality NWSL season last year for the Washington Spirit. Forward Amy Rodriguez (129/30) and defender Meghan Klingenberg (70/3), who both attended the USA’s training camp before the SheBelieves Cup but did not make the final roster, were also selected, as was Houston Dash forward Kealia Ohai, who earned her first three caps and scored her first WNT goal at the end of 2016. Six players on the roster have played 122 times or more for the USA while twelve have 33 or less caps.
U.S. Women’s National Team Roster by Position – Texas Friendlies
GOALKEEPERS (3): Jane Campbell (Houston Dash), Ashlyn Harris (Orlando Pride), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars)
DEFENDERS (6): Meghan Klingenberg (Portland Thorns FC), Ali Krieger (Orlando Pride), Kelley O’Hara (Sky Blue FC), Megan Oyster (Boston Breakers), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City), Casey Short (Chicago Red Stars)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Morgan Brian (Houston Dash), Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns FC), Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns FC), Rose Lavelle (Boston Breakers), Carli Lloyd (Houston Dash/Manchester City), Allie Long (Portland Thorns FC), Samantha Mewis (NC Courage), Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign)
FORWARDS (7): Crystal Dunn (Chelsea FC), Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride/Olympique Lyonnais, FRA), Kealia Ohai (Houston Dash), Christen Press (Chicago Red Stars), Mallory Pugh (UCLA), Amy Rodriguez (FC Kansas City), Lynn Williams (NC Courage)Read more