Across the Academy - Jan. 27, 2011
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy program, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2010-11 season.
Jan. 27, 2011
ACROSS THE ACADEMY
A Weekly Summary of Development Academy News – Jan. 27, 2011
Atlantic Division Matchups Highlight Full Slate: After a few weeks of light Academy schedules, this weekend includes 28 games in Atlanta, Charlotte, N.C., Columbia, S.C. and Los Angeles. In the Atlantic Division, Virginia Rush AJ Auxerre and Richmond Kickers travel to face Charlotte Soccer Academy and North Meck SC. The games will be the first divisional games of the season for Charlotte and North Meck, while Virginia Rush and Richmond Kickers have four and five Atlantic Division games under their belts, respectively
So Cal Conference in Action: Pateadores will host Nomads SC on Saturday, Jan. 29, in a meeting between two teams near the top of the So Cal Division in both age groups. Pateadores U-15/16 is unbeaten in their first two divisional games, while Nomads SC comes in with a 2-2-1 record in the So Cal Division.
West Conference Battle: It will be a matchup between two of the top teams in the West Conference U-15/16 age group when Real So Cal takes on the Seattle Sounders on Saturday. Real So Cal brings a 5-1-0 record into the weekend while Seattle comes in holding onto the top place in the Northwest Division with a 9-2-3 record.
U-17 MNT Training in Jamaica: There are 14 Development Academy players currently in Montego Bay, Jamaica, for a training camp that will last through Feb. 3. The 20-player roster will play two matches against Jamaica in preparation for the upcoming CONCACAF U-17 Championship in February. The U.S. will face Cuba on Feb. 14 and Panama on Feb. 18, with two teams from Group B advancing to the all-important quarterfinal. The winners of the four quarterfinal matches will move on to the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Mexico.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- After going 9-4-1 on the weekend, visiting teams improved their overall record to 131-115-72 for the year.
- Nine teams scored multiple goals on the weekend, but U-15/16 Charlotte Soccer Academy’s Conor Keeley was the only multiple scorer. His brace helped his team pick up a 4-1 win against Atlanta Fire.
- North Meck was the only club to earn four wins on the weekend as both the U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams won twice.
- North Meck U-17/18 goalkeeper Matthew Pacifici earned two shutouts on the weekend, helping his team to a 1-0 win against South Carolina United and a 2-0 win against Atlanta Fire.
- Charlotte Soccer Academy was the only other club to pick up three wins on Jan. 22-23, the lone blemish coming against South Carolina United at the U-15/16 level, a 1-0 loss.
- Four different goal scorers netted for Charlotte SA U-15/16 in a 4-1 win against Atlanta Fire.
- Crossfire Premier U-17/18 topped Seattle Sounders FC Academy 2-1 to split the season series with their local rivals. Goals from Parker Powell and Derek Horner, and a standout performance from goalkeeper Andrew Weakly helped Crossfire to the victory.
- Read more about the impact of that Seattle derby at ussoccer.com.
- After dropping a game 4-0 to Crossfire Premier on Nov. 20, the Sounders U-15/16 team picked up a scoreless draw against their local rival.
- California Development Academy U-17/18s picked up a pair of wins against Real So Cal and Cosmos Academy West last weekend to improve its record to 5-4-1 overall.
WEEK 21PEAK PERFORMERS
U-15/16 Performer of the Week: Koty Millard – Midfielder, South Carolina United
Playing out of his central midfielder position, Millard started and went the full 90 minutes in both of South Carolina United’s games this weekend. Millard, born in 1995, controlled the pace for his team in the 1-0 win against Charlotte Soccer Academy.
U-17/18 Performer of the Week: Andrew Weakly – Goalkeeper, Crossfire Premier
Weakly, a 1992, starred in goal for Crossfire Premier in a 2-1 win against local rival Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday, making several good saves to help his team take the win and split the season series.
Referee of the Week – Reed Christy
Reed Christy, a Grade 5 referee from Southern California, earned high marks during the Real So Cal against California Development Academy U-17/18 game on Jan. 22. Christy officiated games during 2010 Finals Week and also works NCAA Division I games.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES
Kassel Signs with New York Red Bulls: Maryland midfielder Matt Kassel became the third player to move through the ranks of the New York Red Bulls when he inked a professional contract with the club on Jan. 25. The 21-year-old was part of the NYRB Academy through the inaugural Development Academy season in 2007-08.
Agudelo Earns Second Cap: New York Red Bulls Academy product Juan Agudelo earned his second cap with the Men’s National Team against Chile on Jan. 22, coming on as a substitute in the 1-1 draw. After coming on in the 60th minute, Agudelo drew the penalty kick that Teal Bunbury buried to level the score in the 75th minute.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- U.S. Soccer with a look back at Crossfire Premier U-17/18 win against Seattle Sounders Academy – ussoccer.com
- MLSsoccer.com looks at the impact of MLS clubs signing Academy players – MLSsoccer.com
- Red Bulls ink former Academy players Matt Kassel – New York Red Bulls
- Goal.com’s JR Eskilson takes a look at the geography of the Development Academy – Goal.com
- Eskilson also took a look at the Derby County Wolves and their impact on soccer in Michigan, and their indirect connection to former Dallas Texan Conor Doyle – Goal.com
- The Examiner in Boston checks in on eight New England Revolution players who will participate in a U.S. Soccer Training Center to be held at the New England Patriots practice facility – examiner.com
- MLSsoccer.com talks with former Derby County Wolves player Josh Gatt as he gets settled in Norway – MLSsoccer.com
- Yanks Abroad has a chat with Gatt’s teammate, Sean Cunningham – Yanks-Abroad.com