Across the Academy - March 3, 2011
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2010-11 season.
March 3, 2011
© U.S. Soccer
U.S. U-17 MNT Take CONCACAF Championship, Qualify for Mexico: The U.S. U-17 MNT took five wins from five games at the CONCACAF U-17 Championship to come home from Jamaica with the regional crown and book a place at the FIFA U-17 World Cup in Mexico. Los Angeles Galaxy homegrown signee Jack McBean contributed three assists in extra time in the championship match against Canada, while Cal Odyssey’s Nate Smith hit a stunner for the game-winner in the 3-0 victory. Nine Academy players saw minutes in the final and Cosmos Academy West’s Esteban Rodriguez was the only U.S. player to play all 510 minutes in the five games.
Opening Weekend in Boston and New York City Areas: The Academy schedule will continue to grow fuller throughout the month of March, with games kicking off this weekend in Boston and New York for the first time since December. The New England Revolution will open their home schedule in Gillette Stadium while FC Greater Boston will also play their first games since the Winter Showcase.
Great Lakes Rivalries Renewed: The last two U-17/18 champions, Vardar and Indiana United Academy, will square off on Sunday in the hotly contested Great Lakes Division. They will be the first games between Great Lakes opponents this season, with Indiana United making the trip to Michigan to play both Vardar and Derby County Wolves.
CASL Looks to Keep Undefeated Division Record Intact: CASL Chelsea FC U-17/18 enters the weekend with a 4-0-1 record in the Atlantic Division (9-1-2 overall) and will be taking on the Richmond Strikers and McLean Youth Soccer on Saturday and Sunday, respectively. The Strikers are currently third in the Atlantic Division with a 4-5-0 record.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- In the 28 games last weekend, there were a total of 84 goals scored, for an average of three per game.
- There were also 16 shutouts and three scoreless draws.
- The 28 games last weekend represented one of the lightest schedules for the remainder of the regular season, which will carry into June.
- Real So Cal U-15/16 handed Pateadores their second loss of the season and moved up to second place in the So Cal Division.
- California Development Academy U-17/18s became the first team to defeat Real Salt Lake-AZ, earning a 2-1 win at home.
- Charlotte Soccer Academy U-17/18 continued its undefeated season with two wins on the weekend, improving their record to 11-0-1 overall.
- The younger Charlotte side also earned two wins last weekend, and hold an impressive 10-1-1 overall record of their own. Both Charlotte teams are at the top of the Atlantic Divisions.
- CASL Chelsea FC is the only other club to have earned four wins last weekend, with both the younger and older teams earning two wins against Virginia Rush AJ Auxerre and the Richmond Kickers.
U-15/16 Performer of the Week: Tyler Turner – Defender, South Central Premier
Turner, a defender for South Central Premier, helped his U-15/16 team earn a 1-0 win against Albertson. A member of the U-15 Boys’ National Team pool, Turner is the only player born in 1996 on South Central Premier’s roster. He is also the first ‘96 to earn Player of the Week honors this season.
U-17/18 Performer of the Week: Cooper Vandermaas-Peeler – Midfielder, CASL Chelsea FC Academy
CASL’s Vandermaas-Peeler has established himself within the U-18 MNT player pool, and helped his team earn two 2-0 wins against Virginia Rush AJ Auxerre and Richmond Kickers. The creative central midfielder anchored a strong midfield in both games to help keep CASL’s undefeated Atlantic Division record intact.
Referee of the Week: Deleana Quan
Deleana Quan earned recognition for her performance in the center during the U-15/16 California Development Academy game against Real Salt Lake-AZ. A young Grade 6 referee from Northern California, Quan has regularly refereed Academy games during the past two years, and also works at the NCAA level.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES
McBean Joins Galaxy Preseason: The Los Angeles Galaxy’s 16-year-old forward Jack McBean has joined the first team for the first time as a professional after returning from the CONCACAF U-17 Championship. McBean notched three assists in the 3-0 win in the final against Canada, and returned to Southern California to train with the likes of Landon Donovan and Juan Pablo Angel.
Doyle Nets for Derby County Reserves: Former Dallas Texans striker Conor Doyle scored to help the Derby County Reserves to a 2-0 win against Sheffield Wednesday in midweek action. The victory lifted the Rams to third place in the League Central Division.
Pair of Homegrown Players Score at Disney Final: Ruben Luna opened the scoring and Francisco Navas Cobo added a late equalizer as FC Dallas and the Houston Dynamo battled to a 1-1 draw in regulation during MLS preseason action in Orlando. FC Dallas went on to win in a penalty shootout. St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri product Will Bruin also played for the Dynamo, the rookie stepping up to score in the shootout.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Carolina Challenge Cup to feature four Development Academy clubs: Chicago Fire, D.C. United, North Meck SC and South Carolina United – Charleston Battery
- MLS Academy presence strong in CONCACAF U-17 Final – MLSSoccer.com
- Goal.com takes a look at the Chivas USA Academies approach to mixed age groups – Goal.com
- Sounders FC Academy will take on the Vancouver Whitecaps in a friendly match – Seattle Times
- Cal Odyssey’s Nate Smith helped lead the U.S. U-17 MNT to the championship – Fresno Bee
- South Carolina United’s Rex Epps talks with The State about his goals – TheState.com
- The Dallas Texans provide more information about their prospective residency program – dallastexans.com
- Academy players highlight Top Drawer Soccer’s list of top prospects – TopDrawerSoccer.com
- Michigan State signs three Finals Week champions to National Letters of Intent – MSUSpartans.com