Across the Academy - Oct. 7
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2011-12 season.
Oct. 7, 2011
Two Academy Players Will Travel to Brazil with U.S. Futsal National Team: Pateadores’ Casey Macias and Lucas Stauffer of Shattuck-St. Mary’s will travel to Manaus, Brazil, with the U.S. Futsal National Team. The team will participate in the 2011 Grand Prix, facing off against Uruguay, Belgium and Iran. The Futsal National Team is in the beginning stages of preparations for the tournament that will qualify teams to the 2012 FIFA Futsal World Cup, which will be held Nov. 2-18 in Thailand.
MNT Set to Face Honduras: Former New York Red Bulls Academy product Juan Agudelo and former D.C. United Academy goalkeeper Bill Hamid are training in Miami with the U.S. Men’s National Team ahead of the team’s Oct. 8 match against Honduras and Oct. 11 clash with Ecuador. Agudelo has 13 caps for the full team, while Hamid has yet to appear in a match for the MNT.
Featured Fixtures: Development Academy newcomer and currently undefeated Georgia United U-17/18 (3-0-1) will put its undefeated title up for grabs this weekend as it faces the also undefeated South Carolina United Battery (3-0-1). The rivalries in Texas continue as FC Dallas and the Dallas Texans square off in the Dallas Derby and Solar Chelsea SC (2-0-1) faces off against the Houston Dynamo (1-0-1).
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Almost 130 goals were scored in 34 games last weekend (all divisional matches).
- McLean Youth Soccer and Chivas USA had the most instances of athletes playing up with an older team. McLean had a total of eight and Chivas USA had seven.
- Thirty current and former Development Academy players participated in an MLS Reserve League match between Oct. 1-5.
- The conference had a thrilling weekend as four of the six derbies played took place on the West Coast:
- In the SoCal Division, Chivas USA U-15/16 defeated LA Galaxy 3-2, but the Galaxy U-17/18 squad prevailed 2-1 against their host. The two clubs have faced off seven times in each age group, with Chivas USA compiling a 3-5-6 overall record in the process.
- Strikers FC (formerly Irvine Strikers) hosted Pateadores, falling 4-2 in the U-17/18 age group and tying 3-3 in the U-15/16 age group. The two clubs have faced off 18 times since the Academy’s inaugural season, generating nine ties between them.
- In San Diego, San Diego Surf defeated Nomads SC in both age groups, winning 1-0 in the U-17/18 age group and 2-0 in the U-15/16 age group.
- In the Northwest Division, Crossfire Premier played host to Seattle Sounders FC, with the U-17/18 team falling 2-0 and the U-15/16 team tying 2-2. The results ties up the series between the two clubs at 2-2-2 in the six matches the teams have played since the Sounders joined the Academy in 2010.
- Robert Casner posted the only hat trick in the West Conference on the weekend, scoring three times for Pateadores in the 4-2 win against Strikers FC.
- Texas also saw a couple derbies last weekend as Texans SC Houston won 2-1 against Texas Rush in both age groups while Solar Chelsea SC won 3-2 against Andromeda FC in the U-17/18 age group and 4-0 in the U-15/16 age group.
- Three of the four hat tricks over the weekend were scored in the South Conference as James Carlin scored three times in South Carolina United Battery’s 6-3 win against IMG Soccer Academy, Georgia United’s Kevin Hady tallied all three in the team’s 3-3 tie with IMG Soccer Academy and Weston FC’s Danny Jenson scored all but one for his team in the 4-0 win against Birmingham United.
Week 4 Player of the Week: Mario Rodriguez – Midfielder, LA Galaxy
Former U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team midfielder Mario Rodriguez was influential in securing the U-17/18 LA Galaxy’s 2-1 win against Chivas USA. The veteran of the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup started and played 65 minutes in the weekend’s match and has been a constant contributor to a team leads the SoCal Division with a 3-0-0 record.
Referee of the Week: Israel Fernandez
Israel Fernandez, a grade 5 referee from California - South, has been selected as referee of the week for his performance in the U-17/18 match-up between Strikers FC (formerly Irvine Strikers) and Pateadores. The 28-year-old has been an official in the Academy since the start and is just four games shy of officiating 100 Academy matches. Though a Cal-South staple in the Academy regular season, Fernandez has also attended the 2008 Winter Showcase, 2009 and 2010 Finals Weeks, and the 2011 Playoffs and Showcase and works Youth National Team games and professional league games in his home state.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Darlington Nagbe Continues to Contribute to Portland Timbers: Portland Timbers rookie and former Internationals star Darlington Nagbe has been a steady force for the Portland Timbers, participating in 27 games so far this season, 20 of which have been as a starter.
MLS Reserve League Matches Feature 15 Former Academy Players: Major League Soccer Reserve League matches between Oct. 1-6 featured 15 former Academy players, as well as 15 current Academy standouts. FC Dallas had the most Academy representation, with former Academy athletes Bryan Leyva, Ruben Luna and Victor Ulloa playing for the Reserves against the Colorado Rapids on Oct. 2 and Moises Hernandez, Ulloa, Leyva and Luna taking the field again on Oct. 5 against Sporting Kansas City.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Two-time Development Academy Player of the Year Raul Mendiola will reportedly join Manchester City – Top Drawer Soccer
- A recap of the Seattle derby between Sounders FC Academy and Crossfire Premiere – SoundersFC.com
- Indiana United announces their partnership with the Chicago Fire – CarmelUnited.org