Across the Academy - Jan. 19
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2011-12 season.
Jan. 19, 2012
© U.S. Soccer
U.S. U-23 MNT Faces Costa Rican Clubs: The U.S. Under-23 Men’s National Team has traveled to San Jose, Costa Rica, to continue its January camp in preparation of the 2012 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament in March. The U-23s, who had been in Carson, Calif., are gearing up for matches against Saprissa Reserves (Saturday, Jan. 21) and Alajuela (Tuesday, Jan. 24). The U-23 roster includes five players with Development Academy ties: defender Zarek Valentin, midfielders Joe Corona and Kelyn Rowe, and forwards Joshua Gatt and Jack McInerney.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Texas Rush swept its matches over the weekend, with the U-15/16 side defeating Classics Elite 3-0, and the U-17/18 club posting a 1-0 win over Classics Elite at Bear Branch Soccer Complex on Saturday.
- The U-15/16 Dallas Texans played FC Dallas to a 1-1 draw on Saturday. The Texans remain unbeaten on the season with a 9-0-6 overall record in 2011-2012.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
15 Academy Alumni Picked in MLS Supplemental Draft: New Mexico’s Michael Green, a Development Academy alum from the Crew Soccer Academy program, was the No. 4 overall pick overall by Toronto FC in the 2012 MLS Supplemental Draft on Tuesday. Fifteen Academy alumni were selected in the draft (six in the first round alone). Other first-rounders included Brian Ownby (No. 7, Houston Dynamo; Richmond Strikers), Ryan Kawulok (No. 8, Portland Timbers; Colorado Rapids), Kirk Urso (No. 9, Columbus Crew; Sockers FC), Karo Okiomah (No. 10, Houston Dynamo; Lonestar SC Academy) and Tom Brandt (No. 11, Philadelphia Union; Baltimore Bays Chelsea).
Corona Crowned Newcomer of Year: Joe Benny Corona was named the top newcomer of Mexico’s First Division on Monday. The 21-year-old Development Academy alum is currently playing for the U.S. Under-23 Men’s National Team.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Development Academy referees moving up the ladder – USSoccer.com
- The Texas hotbed of Academy clubs, including the unbeaten Dallas Texans, are featured – TopDrawerSoccer.com
- Top Drawer Soccer wraps up its three-part series on the Development Academy – TopDrawerSoccer.com
- Four things to know about … Guyllain Kabala – Soccer America
- Joe Corona crowned Mexico First Division Newcomer of the Year – Soccer America
- Development Academy roundup: Virginia Rush on the rebound – ESPN RISE