Across the Academy - Feb. 2
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2011-12 season.
Feb. 2, 2012
© U.S. Soccer
Dallas Texans Put Unbeaten Record on Line: The U-15/16 Dallas Texans team tries to maintain its unbeaten record when it visits Texans SC Houston on Saturday at Elizabeth Meyer Park in Spring, Texas. The Dallas Texans have a comfortable lead in the Texas Division of the Central Conference and have posted a 10-0-6 overall record this season – the only team within both the U-15/16 and U-17/18 levels to still carry an unbeaten overall record. Texans SC Houston (8-4-4) touts a defense that has matched the Dallas Texans stride for stride as both teams are allowing only one goal per game (16 goals in 16 matches played).
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Daniel Garcia of the FC Dallas U-17/18 team tallied three goals during a 6-0 victory on Sunday against Classics Elite to improve to 12-1-2 on the season. Garcia is averaging more than one goal per game, tallying 16 goals in 14 matches this season. David Robledo added two goals for FC Dallas.
- The Solar Chelsea SC U-17/18 team overcame a 1-0 second-half deficit and scored three unanswered goals for a 3-1 comeback victory against Lonestar SC Academy on Saturday. Zachary Mathers, Samuel Hayward and Alfred Koroma each had goals for Solar Chelsea SC, which improved to 10-4-3 and moved into second place in the Texas Division ahead of Texans SC Houston.
- Ben Burdon had five goals in two games as the Charlotte Soccer Academy U-17/18 team posted a weekend sweep with a 5-1 victory against the Richmond Kickers on Saturday and a 4-0 win against the Virginia Rush on Sunday. The Charlotte Soccer Academy U-15/16 team also went 2-0-0 over the weekend, with Khalil Abderahman netting a goal in each match – a 3-0 win against the Richmond Kickers on Saturday and a 1-0 victory against the Virginia Rush on Sunday.
- Lynden Gooch had two goals for the Santa Cruz Breakers Academy U-15/16, which topped the San Jose Earthquakes 3-1 on Sunday.
- Gregory Antognoli II scored two goals, including the 65th-minute game-winner, to lead the Cal Odyssey U-17/18 team to a 3-2 win against California Development Academy. Cal Odyssey had a 2-0 lead before Tyler Thompson tallied back-to-back goals for California Development Academy to tie the score early in the second half.
Week 19 Player of the Week: Ben Burdon, Forward, Charlotte Soccer Academy
Ben Burdon scored five goals in a two-game span to lead the Charlotte Soccer Academy U-17/18 team to two victories against the Richmond Kickers and Virginia Rush. Burdon had three goals, including the game-winner in the 16th minute, against Virginia and netted two goals, including the 77th-minute game-winner, against Richmond. He has played and started in all seven Charlotte Soccer Academy games this season as the U-17/18 team sports a 2-2-3 record. Burdon was the Development Academy Player of the Week for the U-15/16 age group last season on March 24, 2011.
Referee of the Week: Matthew Sternheim
Matthew Sternheim earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance in the U-17/18 Real Salt Lake AZ matchup against De Anza Force. Sternheim is an up-and-coming grade 6 referee from Arizona. His first experience as an Academy official was the 2010 Winter Showcase in Phoenix. Sternheim has worked 16 Academy matches in a little more than a year, and he also has been an assistant referee for MLS preseason scrimmages held in Casa Grande, Ariz.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Tracking Signing Day: Athletes from across the country signed their letters of intent to take their game to the collegiate ranks. ussoccer.com is tracking the players who have been a part of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy and the various announcements made following Wednesday’s signing day. For the latest, visit the U.S. Soccer YNT Blog.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Chivas USA’s Joshua Perez Returns After Trial with Fiorentina – TopDrawerSoccer.com
- Mukwelle Akale, the Bradenton Snowbird – Soccer America
- Meet the Newbies: U.S. U-17 Residency Program – Soccer America
- ESPN RISE Follows 2012 NCAA Commitments – ESPN RISE