Across the Academy - Sept. 27
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
Sep. 27, 2012
© U.S. Soccer
U-17 MNT Opens AGS Cup: The U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team is preparing for the 2012 AGS Cup, starting with a match on Saturday, Sept. 29, against Azerbaijan. Head coach Richie Williams named his 20-player roster, which features 16 players that are currently registered with Development Academy clubs for the 2012-13 season (AGS Cup Preview). The USA took second in the event last year, with New York Red Bulls Academy product Wesley Wade winning the Golden Boot with four goals. Wade, a member of the 2011-12 U-15/16 Academy Finals champion Red Bulls, returns to this year’s event and caught up with ussoccer.com.
FC Dallas U-17/18 Begins Title Defense: Only a handful of teams have yet to open their 2012-13 Academy season, but several will take to the field this weekend. Among the season openers is FC Dallas, whose U-17/18 team defeated Vancouver Whitecaps FC to win the 2011-12 championship and prepares for a road match against Classics Elite on Saturday. Cal Odyssey hosts the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday for both teams’ season debuts. (2012-13 Academy schedule)
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Portland Timbers U-15/16 squad earned its first victory with a 2-1 win against Seattle Sounders FC on Saturday. Jesse Garcia-Aguilar scored both goals for the Timbers (1-0-2), who have opened the season unbeaten in three road matches.
- Pateadores swept its set against Nomads SC, including the U-17/18 team’s 5-0 victory on Saturday for its first victory this year. Kevin Delatorre and Brian Torres each had two goals for Pateadores. Five different goal scorers contributed to the Pateadores U-15/16 team’s 5-1 victory, including Christopher Costantini’s 36th-minute, game-winning goal.
- Jeffrey Farina posted back-to-back hat tricks as the Chicago Fire’s U-17/18 team garnered a 7-0 win against Internationals on Saturday and a 4-0 victory against Crew Soccer Academy on Sunday. The Fire is among four U-17/18 Mid-America Division teams to open the season unbeaten through three weeks along with Chicago Magic PSG (3-0-0), Sockers FC (3-0-0) and Vardar SC Freiburg (2-0-0).
- Sporting Kansas City’s U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams have both started the season at 3-0-0, most recently sweeping Lonestar SC Academy on Sunday. The U-17/18 team posted a 3-0 shutout and five separate Sporting players scored during the U-15/16 team’s 5-2 victory against Lonestar. Tucker Stephenson’s 44th-minute goal proved to be the winner for the U-15/16s.
- D.C. United’s Gerson Umana scored four goals – including his first three in a span of 10 minutes – to lead the U-15/16 team to a 5-0 victory against PA Classics on Saturday. Umana scored in the 30th, 38th, 39th and 73rd minutes for D.C. United (3-0-0). In the U-17/18 group, PA Classics won 4-2 against D.C. United and improved to 3-0-0 while handing D.C. its first loss. Joseph Julius led PA Classics with three goals.
- Development Academy newcomer Montreal Impact’s U-15/16 team continued its winning ways with a 6-0 victory against FC Westchester on Sunday. Heikel Jarras notched the first hat trick for the Academy team with three goals in the game’s first 40 minutes.
Week 3 Player of the Week: Jonathan Navarro, Forward, De Anza Force
Jonathan Navarro scored the lone goal of a tightly contested 1-0 road win for the De Anza Force U-15/16 team against the crosstown opponents, Santa Cruz Breakers Academy on Saturday, Sept. 22. Navarro, a 1998-born player, scored the game’s lone goal in the 46th minute. De Anza Force leads the Northwest Division with a 3-0-0 start to the season and every win has been decided by one goal.
Referee of the Week: Shaine Danbeli
Shaine Danbeli earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during this past weekend’s U-17/18 match between Pateadores and Nomads SC. The 24-year-old Grade 5 referee based in southern California has worked 38 Academy matches in the past two years and attended the 2010 and 2011 Winter Showcases. Danbeli also works Youth National Team, USL PRO and W-League matches.
OTHER ACADEMY NEWS AND NOTES:
Leyva, FC Dallas Reserves Blank Sporting: Bryan Leyva, who was the second-best goal scorer on the FC Dallas U-15/16 Academy team in 2008-09, scored both goals for FC Dallas in a 2-0 victory against Sporting Kansas City in MLS Reserve League play on Tuesday, Sept. 25. Leyva has scored four goals in seven Reserve League starts. (Leyva Flashes Massive Potential – mlssoccer.com)
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- U-18 MNT Continues to Impress Under Perez – Top Drawer Soccer
- Development Key for Crew Academy – ThisWeek Sports
- D.C. United Academy Product Dainkeh Shines with U-18 MNT – Potomac Soccer Wire
- Sporting Kansas City Teams off to Perfect Starts – Soccer America
- Academy Recap: Timbers Get First Win – Top Drawer Soccer
- Chicago Fire Development Academy Teams Go 3-0-1 Over Weekend – chicago-fire.com
- Houston Dynamo Academy Teams Sweep Andromeda – houstondynamo.com
- Montreal Impact Academy Recap – impactmontreal.com
- Portland Timbers Academy Teams Earn Points on Road – portlandtimbers.com
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | U-13/14 Program
- Conference Previews with Technical Advisors: West | Central | East
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A