Across the Academy - Oct. 25
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
Oct. 25, 2012
© U.S. Soccer
U.S. U-15 BNT Roster Named for Camp: U.S. Under-15 Boys’ National Team head coach and Development Academy Director of Scouting Tony Lepore named a 36-player roster for a training camp from Oct. 27 to Nov. 3 at The Home Depot Center. The camp features 24 players that are currently registered with Development Academy teams. That group includes 14-year-old De Anza Force forward Jonathan Navarro, who spoke with ussoccer.com about De Anza Force’s U-15/16 team and its 6-0-0 start to the 2012-13 Development Academy season.
U-17 MNT Wins Four-Nations Tournament Opener: The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team defeated Chile 5-1 in the first match of the Four-Nations Tournament on Tuesday in Santa Fe, Argentina. The USA faces host Argentina on Thursday. The U.S. kicked off its South America trip with a 3-1 international friendly win against Uruguay.
U.S. Soccer Accepting Applications for Academy U-13/14 Program: U.S. Soccer is now accepting applications from clubs to enter a team into the Under-13/14 Development Academy program starting in the Fall of 2013. The deadline for interested clubs to submit the online application is Dec. 1, 2012 (APPLICATION)
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Justin Dhillon scored three second-half goals and the LA Galaxy U-17/18 team routed Strikers FC on Saturday. Oscar Sorto scored twice in a span of three minutes in the first half for the Galaxy (4-0-1, 13 points) which leads the Southwest Division with 18 goals and is trying to keep up with first-place Real Salt Lake AZ (5-0-1, 16 points).
- Both San Jose Earthquakes teams each earned a victory against Santa Cruz Breakers Academy. Nicholas Perez had the lone goal for the Earthquakes’ 1-0 victory at the U-15/16s and Jesus Garcia scored two goals as the U-17/18 team posted a 3-1 win. The San Jose Earthquakes U-17/18 team leads the Northwest Division at 4-0-0 and 3.00 points per game and the U-15/16 team is second at 2.25 points per game.
- Crew Soccer Academy Wolves swept its Michigan-based counterpart Crew Soccer Academy with a pair of 2-1 victories on Saturday at Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. Hunter Barone scored the winning goal in the game’s final minute of regulation as the CSA Wolves U-15/16 team improved to 6-0-1 and leads the Mid-America Division. The U-17/18 team overcame a one-goal deficit as Oliver Harris and Ali Cheaib tallied back-to-back goals in the second half for CSA Wolves (3-2-2).
- The Colorado Rapids U-15/16 team notched its fourth shutout victory of the year and Victor Rolph and Gustavo Montes each scored a goal during its 2-0 win against Andromeda FC. The Rapids have outscored their opponents 16-2 this season and improved to 5-1-0 in the competitive Frontier Division, where nine of the 13 teams have a .500 record or better.
- Georgia United’s U-15/16 team (4-0-1, 13 points) posted two shutout victories this past weekend. Jad Arslan scored four goals during a 4-0 win against Kendall SC on Saturday and Kevin Barajas had the lone goal in a 1-0 victory against Weston FC on Sunday. Georgia United has outscored its opponents 12-1 this season and is second in the Southeast Division in points per game (2.6), trailing only Orlando City (3-0-0, 9 points, 3.0 points per game).
- IMG Soccer Academy’s U-17/18 team swept its weekend set with a 5-0 victory against North Meck SC and a 2-0 win against Charlotte Soccer Academy. Brett Gravatt and Yussuf Olajde each scored two goals against North Meck SC. IMG Soccer Academy’s Pablo Aguilar and Raul Gonzalez scored in the 88th and 89th minutes, respectively, to gain three points against Charlotte Soccer Academy to move into a third-place tie in the Southeast Division with 1.8 points per game.
Week 7 Player of the Week: Joshua Perez, Forward, Chivas USA
Joshua Perez played a part in all four Chivas USA U-15/16 goals against Pateadores with a goal and three assists during the team’s 4-0 victory on Sunday. Chivas USA (2-1-2) has posted back-to-back shutout victories and is second in points per game in the Southwest Division. Perez is a member of the current U.S. U-15 Boys’ National Team camp.
Referee of the Week: Esteban Rosano
Esteban Rosano earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during this past weekend’s U-15/16 match between Chargers Soccer Club and Charlotte Soccer Academy. The 33-year-old Grade 5 referee from Florida has worked in 10 Academy matches and will be attending the 2012 Winter Showcase. He has worked USL PRO, Premier Development League and youth national team games.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Academy Recap: MLS Encounters – Top Drawer Soccer
- Baltimore Bays Chelsea Back on Track – Soccer Wire
- Chicago Fire Academy Teams Post Draw, Win Against Indiana Fire – chicago-fire.com
- Chivas USA Academy Update – cdchivasusa.com
- Colorado Rapids Academy on Campus: Dillon Serna, Zips Win 8th Straight – coloradorapids.com
- Colorado Rapids’ O’Neill Hopes to Stay Connected with U.S. U-20s – mlssoccer.com
- Crew Soccer Academy Teams Fall to CSA Wolves – thecrew.com
- New England Revolution Academy U-15/16s Draw Red Bulls – revolutionsoccer.net
- Portland Timbers U-15/16s Continue Unbeaten Run – portlandtimbers.com
- San Jose Earthquakes Academy Continues Winning Ways – sjearthquakes.com
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program