Across the Academy - Nov. 15
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
Nov. 15, 2012
© U.S. Soccer
U.S. U-18s, U-14s Convene for Camps at The Home Depot Center: U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team head coach Javier Perez named a 24-player roster for a Nov. 17-24 training camp at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. There are 21 players on the roster who are currently part of Development Academy clubs. Perez caught up with ussoccer.com to preview the weeklong training. U.S. U-14 Boys’ National Team head coach Hugo Perez also named a 36-player roster for its Nov. 17-25 camp at The Home Depot Center. The group features four players registered with U-15/16 Academy teams.
Nike International Friendlies, Winter Showcase Catapulting Careers for Officials: The 2012 Nike International Friendlies, held in conjunction with the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Winter Showcase, are only two weeks away at the Premier Sports Campus in Lakewood Ranch, Fla. The Academy teams and U.S. U-17 MNT players gain valuable experience from the Friendlies and Showcase, but the annual event has also become an important stepping stone for officials. ussoccer.com talked with referees Matthew Foerster, Juan Guzman and Sorin Stoica who credit the Friendlies and Showcase toward their progression in the professional ranks.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Real So Cal’s U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams each picked up their first win of the season with a sweep against Pateadores last Sunday. The Real So Cal U-15/16 team rallied from a first-half deficit with Chester Castellaw scoring a 47th-minute equalizer and Carlos Gonzalez the game-winner in the 76th minute for a 2-1 victory. In the U-17/18 game, Real So Cal’s Kevin Martinez tallied the lone goal in the 32nd minute and the defense posted its first shutout of the year.
- Samuel Hayward and Jesse Miralrio Toledo each scored two goals and the Solar Chelsea SC U-17/18 team shut out Frontier Division-leading Sporting Kansas City 4-0 last Saturday. All five of Solar Chelsea SC’s victories this season have been shutouts as the team improved to 5-2-1. Sporting Kansas City dropped to 6-2-0 (2.25 points per game), but is still clinging onto a first-place lead over FC Dallas (5-2-0; 2.14 points per game).
- St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri’s Mark Segbers scored three goals during the U-15/16 team’s 5-1 victory against FC Milwaukee and SLSG Missouri U-17/18’s Austin Panchot also notched three goals as his side rebounded from an early one-goal deficit for a 3-1 win last Saturday against FC Milwaukee.
- FC DELCO had a strong weekend against D.C. United with the U-17/18 team posting a 1-0 victory on a George Tsirukis goal in the 76th minute, and the U-15/16 side overcoming a two-goal deficit for a 2-2 draw. For D.C. United’s U-15/16 team, it was the first blemish of the season after opening a perfect 8-0-0. D.C. United had a 2-0 lead through 29 minutes courtesy of tallies from Julian Cummings and Graydon Hester, but FC DELCO’s Tyler Skwara and Grant Yu scored back-to-back goals in the 38th and 69th minutes, respectively, to earn a point.
- Led by second-half goals from Matthew Vasquenza and Alexander Wrona, Oakwood Soccer Club’s U-15/16 team improved to 6-0-0 with a 2-0 victory against BW Gottschee Academy last Saturday. The win sets up an intriguing Northeast Division matchup against the New York Red Bulls (6-0-1) on Saturday, Nov. 17.
Week 10 Player of the Week: Akeem Ward, Midfielder, Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy
Akeem Ward scored three goals as the Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy’s U-15/16 team defeated Crew Soccer Academy 4-3 last weekend. His final tally in the 80th minute broke a 3-3 tie. Ward is now tied for the U-15/16 scoring lead in the Development Academy with Santiago Agudelo of FC Dallas.
Referee of the Week: Nima Saghafi
Nima Saghafi earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during this past weekend’s U-17/18 match between Solar Chelsea SC and Sporting Kansas City. The match marked the Academy debut for Saghafi, a Grade 6 referee from Oklahoma. The 22-year-old official will be attending the upcoming Winter Showcase.
OTHER NEWS AND NOTES:
CONCACAF Draw for U-20 Championship Takes Place on Nov. 21: CONCACAF announced that the official draw for the 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship is scheduled to take place at 1:40 p.m. ET on Wednesday, Nov. 21, at Casa Puebla in Puebla, Mexico. The tournament, which takes place from Feb. 18 to March 3, 2013, in Puebla, will decide the confederation’s four spots in the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Academy Recap: Close Encounters – Top Drawer Soccer
- Chicago Fire Academy Teams Post Two Wins Over Weekend – chicago-fire.com
- FC Dallas Academy Teams Stay Perfect Against MLS Competition – fcdallas.com
- LA Galaxy Academy Teams to Face Unbeaten Real Salt Lake AZ – lagalaxy.com
- New England Revolution Academy Combines for 3-0-1 Record – revolutionsoccer.net
- New York Red Bulls Academy Teams Continue to Roll – newyorkredbulls.com
- Orlando City’s Adrian Heath Implements Philosophy – orlandocitysoccer.com
- Portland Timbers Academy to Meet Cal Odyssey, Earthquakes – portlandtimbers.com
- Real Salt Lake AZ Academy Sides Unbeaten Through Eight Games – realsaltlake.com
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | | U-13/14 Program