Across the Academy - Jan. 24
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
Jan. 24, 2013
© U.S. Soccer
Academy Players Look Ahead to Pro Ranks: The past couple of weeks have included an abundance of former Development Academy players getting the opportunity to pursue a professional career in Major League Soccer. The 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft was held on Tuesday, and five of the top six picks have ties to the Academy. The No. 1 selection was former Match Fit Chelsea midfielder Ryan Clark, who went to the New York Red Bulls. The YNT Blog
On the Docket: The second full week of Academy play in 2013 kicks off this weekend with 40 games, including the usual share of interesting derby fixtures. One matchup at the U-17/18 age group features the LA Galaxy (first place in the Southwest Division at 8-1-1) against Pateadores (6-6-2). The competitive division features six of nine teams that currently hold a .500 record or better.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Pateadores posted a pair of victories against Arsenal FC, including the U-17/18 team’s 2-0 win last Saturday that was its second clean sheet of the season. Dante Medina and Roberto Escudero each scored a goal in the second half. The Pateadores U-15/16 squad held off Arsenal 3-2 as all five goals came in the opening 40 minutes. Pateadores’ Jose Castillo scored the game’s first two goals in the first 13 minutes, Arsenal rallied to tie the score and Christian Diaz scored what would prove to be the game-winner in the 34th minute.
- Solar Chelsea SC’s U-15/16 team has won five straight matches following a 4-0 victory against Andromeda FC last Saturday. Brock Dudley tallied two goals and Toryima Asom and Nathanael Rennhack had a goal apiece for Solar Chelsea (11-2-1), which leads the Frontier Division. The Andromeda U-17/18 team salvaged a series split with a 3-1 win against Solar Chelsea as Thomas Parides scored two goals for Andromeda and the team benefited from an own goal.
- The Kendall SC U-17/18 team extended its unbeaten streak to seven games (3-0-4) with a 3-0 victory against Orlando City. Ethan Spivack’s 45th-minute goal was the difference and teammates Caleb Acosta and Ricardo Gomez added goals later in the second half as Kendall SC moved to 5-3-5 after starting the season with three losses in its first six games.
Referee of the Week: Michael Zapata
Michael Zapata earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during last Saturday’s U-17/18 match between the Vancouver Whitecaps and San Juan Soccer Club. Zapata, a 2013 national candidate referee based in Northern California, has worked 25 Academy matches over the past two seasons and attended the 2012 Academy Playoffs and 2012 Winter Showcase. Zapata has also worked MLS Reserve, Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup and PDL games.
OTHER NEWS AND NOTES:
U-15 BNT Wraps up Camp at HDC: The U.S. U-15 Boys’ National Team wrapped up a weeklong training camp at The Home Depot Center as its split 36-player squad posted a 1-2-1 record in matches against Chivas USA, the LA Galaxy and Real So Cal. The U.S. U-17 team posted a 3-2 win against Chivas USA on Jan. 19.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- With Dillon Serna, Youth is Served at Colorado Rapids Preseason Camp – Denver Post
- Pro Prospects: Brian Iloski Gets His Chance – Top Drawer Soccer
- 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft Highlights – Top Drawer Soccer
- MLS SuperDraft: Day in Life of Draft Pick Mikey Lopez – mlssoccer.com
- LA Galaxy Homegrown Forward Gyasi Zardes – mlssoccer.com
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program