Across the Academy - Jan. 31
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
Jan. 31, 2013
© U.S. Soccer
Williams Names Roster for Two-Game Trip to California: U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team head coach Richie Williams named a 21-player travel roster for a five-day training camp at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. The roster, which features 16 players with ties to the Development Academy (15 currently registered with an Academy club), is also going to play a match against the LA Galaxy on Friday and Nike’s The Chance Team on Monday, Feb. 4.
Academy Product Iloski Returns: A focal point of the U-17 MNT’s match against Nike’s The Chance Team is the presence of San Diego Surf Academy product Brian Iloski, who returns to his home state as the lone United States representative on The Chance. Iloski was named to the Final 16 in late August as more than 100,000 hopefuls from around the world competed for the opportunity to represent this elite group of players. The YNT Blog
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- San Juan Soccer Club’s U-17/18 team overcame a 3-1 deficit to post a 4-3 victory against Chivas USA. Steven Wright and Padraic McCullaugh each scored two goals for San Juan en route to its second win of the season. Wright scored the game-winner in the 83rd minute.
- After falling behind in the first 18 minutes, the Texas Rush U-15/16 team rattled off three straight goals to defeat Frontier Division-leading Solar Chelsea SC 3-1 last Sunday. Oscar Baquedano Torrez, Angel Lopez and Cesar Castañeda each scored a goal for the Texas Rush (9-4-2) while Bryson Asher scored the game’s first goal for Solar Chelsea (11-3-1), which saw its five-game winning streak come to a halt.
- Weston FC’s Nicholas Pappacena took hold of the goal scoring lead in the U-17/18 age group with 16 tallies on the season. He scored a goal during Weston FC’s 7-2 win against North Meck SC on Saturday, followed by a two-goal performance in a 3-0 victory against Charlotte Soccer Academy on Sunday as Weston improved to 10-3-2 in the Southeast Division.
Player of the Week: Jorge Torres, M, Kendall SC
Kendall SC U-17/18 midfielder Jorge Torres was named Development Academy Player of the Week as Kendall played North Meck SC to a scoreless draw last Sunday at Florida International University. Torres was named to the Academy’s South Conference XI in the U-15/16 age group for the 2011-12 season.
Referee of the Week: Stefan McHardy
Stefan McHardy earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during last Sunday’s U-17/18 match between Kendall SC and North Meck SC. The 30-year-old Florida-based referee has worked in 18 Development Academy games and participated at the 2012 Winter Showcase. He recently worked a game at the MLS Combine and is a national candidate for 2013. McHardy has previously worked matches for Youth National Teams, PDL, USL PRO, NASL and the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
OTHER NEWS AND NOTES:
U-15s Join U.S. MNT for Lunch (Video): During their January camp in California, the U.S. Under-15 Boys’ National Team joined the first team for lunch days before the MNT’s first game of 2013 against Canada. Christian Pulisic (PA Classics), Joe Gallardo (Nomads SC), Luca De La Torre (San Diego Surf) and Tony Lepore took some time to discuss the experience.
U-20 MNT Posts Draw, Loss Against Panama: The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team played Panama in a pair of friendlies in Puebla, Mexico in preparation for the 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship from Feb. 18-March 3. Former PDA and New York Red Bulls Academy player Brandon Allen scored a goal during the USA’s 2-2 draw on Jan. 19 and former Pateadores and LA Galaxy Academy midfielder Jose Villarreal had a penalty kick goal during the team’s 2-1 loss to Panama on Jan. 21.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Tony Lepore Q & A – U.S. Soccer Development Academy – Soccer America
- Junior Flores is Ready For This – ESPN FC
- U.S. Soccer's Top 10 Under-21 – ESPN FC
- Crew Players Have Called Bradenton ‘Home’ Over Years – thecrew.com
- FC Dallas Academy Teams Win Four to Kick Off 2013 – fcdallas.com
- Will Bruin Discusses U.S. MNT Match at BBVA Compass – houstondynamo.com
- Timbers Academy Teams Return to Action in California – portlandtimbers.com
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program