Across the Academy - Feb. 21
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
Feb. 21, 2013
© U.S. Soccer
U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team to Face Costa Rica on Friday in Second Game of Group Play at U-20 CONCACAF Championship: Behind first-half goals by Luis Gil and Daniel Cuevas, the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team earned three points and a 2-1 win against Haiti, to open group play at the CONCACAF U-20 Championship in Puebla, Mexico. Click here for highlights and reaction from the team’s first match. The U-20s will face Costa Rica on Friday at 5:30 p.m. CT in their next match in group play.
FOX Soccer to Broadcast U.S. U-20 MNT at 2013 CONCACAF Championship in Puebla, Mexico: FOX Soccer will broadcast all of the remaining tournament matches at the 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship, which includes the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team. The U.S. U-20 MNT group match against Costa Rica on Feb. 22 will be televised on FOX Soccer, kicking off at 5:30 p.m. CT. Follow the team at the YNT blog and on twitter @ussoccer_ynt.
U.S. Soccer, Nike Host Youth Futsal Invitational Events: With an emphasis on developing the U-13/14 age level, U.S. Soccer, in partnership with Nike, is hosting two youth futsal events from March 1-3 in King of Prussia, Pa., and a west coast event from April 19-24 at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.
U-20 MNT’s Mexican Connection: Cuevas, Joya and Ocegueda Bring Professional Experience from Mexico to U.S. Under-20s as they prepare for 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship in Puebla. Meet them and their teammates in the U-20 Men’s National Team’s, Meet the Team Video.
U-20 MNT’S Jose Villareal Represents Growing Presence from Academy Base: From a U.S. Soccer Development Academy championship, to scoring his first professional goal in Major League Soccer, to now representing the U.S. with the hopes of advancing to the FIFA U-20 World Cup, Villarreal has been a true product of the youth soccer system.
- 2012-13 Academy Schedules | 2012-13 Academy Standings
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Chivas USA U-17/18 and Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-17/18 played in one of the higher scoring games of the weekend as Chivas edged the Whitecaps 3-2. Four of the game’s five goals were scored after the 74th minute, with Player of the Week Caleb Calvert slotting home the game winner in the 87th minute.
- Houston Dynamo U-15/16 won their sixth consecutive game to stay atop the Frontier Division with a 5-1 win against Lonestar SC Academy. Elochukwu Ozumba picked up a brace for the Dynamo by scoring back-to-back goals in the 79th and 80th minutes of the match.
- Concorde Fire U-17/18 posted the highest goal total in the country in week 21 with a 6-1 win against Orlando City U-17/18. Concorde scored three goals on both sides of halftime led by Tyler Dowse, who notched two goals after coming in as a sub in the 55th minute.
Player of the Week: Caleb Calvert, F, Chivas USA
Chivas USA U-17/18 forward Caleb Calvert notched two multi-goal games over the weekend, recording a brace in wins against both Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-17/18 and Crossfire Premiere U-17/18. Calvert was playing up an age level for Chivas USA; he has tallied 13 goals this season playing with Chivas’ U-15/16 squad.
Referee of the Week: Midge Van Es
Midge Van Es earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance on the pitch in week 21. At 20-years-old, Van Es is already a Grade Five referee and is one of the young up and comers in the program. Van Es refereed his 56th Academy match last weekend and has been an active official in PDL and YNT matches as well.
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program