Across the Academy - Feb. 28
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
Feb. 28, 2013
© U.S. Soccer
U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team to Face Cuba on Friday in Semifinal of U-20 CONCACAF Championship: Behind goals from Luis Gil and Wil Trapp and two goals from Jose Villarreal, the U.S. U-20 Men’s National Team clinched a spot in the 2013 U-20 World Cup with a 4-2 come-from-behind victory against Canada. Check out the match highlights and reaction from U-20 head coach Tab Ramos, Gil, Trapp and Villarreal on ussoccer.com. The U.S. U-20 MNT will now face Cuba in the semifinals on Friday, March 1, which will be televised on FOX Soccer, kicking off at 5:00 p.m. CT. Follow the team at the YNT blog and on twitter @ussoccer_ynt.
U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team Utilizing Caleb Stanko’s Versatility: Stanko hails from a three-season stint in U.S. Soccer’s Development Academy at Michigan-based Vardar (now Vardar SC Freiburg), and he had been a part of the club since the U-7 level.
U.S. Soccer, Nike Host Youth Futsal Invitational Events: With an emphasis on developing the U-13/14 age level, U.S. Soccer, in partnership with Nike, is hosting two youth futsal events from March 1-3 in King of Prussia, Pa., and a west coast event from April 19-24 at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.
U-20 MNT’s Mexican Connection: Cuevas, Joya and Ocegueda Bring Development Academy Experience from Mexico to U.S. Under-20s as they prepare for 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship in Puebla. Meet them and their teammates in the U-20 Men’s National Team’s, Meet the Team Video.
U-20 MNT’S Jose Villareal Represents Growing Presence from Academy Base: From a U.S. Soccer Development Academy championship, to scoring his first professional goal in Major League Soccer, to now representing the U.S. with the hopes of advancing to the FIFA U-20 World Cup, Villarreal has been a true product of the youth soccer system.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Chivas USA U-15/16 reached double digit goals in the form of a 10-0 victory against Nomads SC U-15/16. Eight different players found the back of the net for Chivas USA, with Adonis Amaya and Mark Hernandez each recording braces.
- FC Dallas U-17/18 remained in first place in the Frontier Division with a 3-0 win against Sporting Kansas City U-17/18. Yomeri Reyes tallied a goal in each half for FC Dallas who has now stretched its unbeaten streak to seven games.
- CASL Chelsea FC Academy U-17/18 earned a 2-1 victory against North Carolina Fusion U-17/18 to remain amongst the leaders in the Southeast Division. CASL Chelsea got two goals from Camilo Martinez to snap a two-game losing skid and hold on to the second place spot in their division.
Player of the Week: Jason Romero, De Anza Force U-17/18
Romero notched the game-winning goal in De Anza’s 2-0 win against the San Jose Earthquakes this weekend. Romero was called into his first U.S. Youth National Team camp for the U-18s and will go on the team’s 10-day, three-match international trip to France and Romania, March 15-25.
Referee of the Week: Justin Bradford
Justin Bradford earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance in his week 22 match between North Carolina Fusion U-15/16 CASL Chelsea FC Academy U-15/16. Bradford is a grade five referee from North Carolina, he’s worked 30 academy matches, attended the 2009 and 2010 playoffs and also does USL Pro, NASL and PLD/W League matches.
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program