Across the Academy - March 21
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
March 21, 2013
© U.S. Soccer
Academy Names 22 New Clubs for Inaugural U-13/14 Season: The launch of the Under-13/14 Development Academy season is on the horizon later this year, and on March 18 the Academy announced the addition of 22 new clubs. The new clubs are located in California, New York/New England, North and South Carolina, Florida and the Washington, D.C., area. “We feel that it is very important to spread the Academy philosophy to an expanded pool of players and clubs in this age group as we launch our first season of U-13/14 programming this fall,” Development Academy Director of Scouting Tony Lepore said.
U-18 MNT Wraps Up Trip Against Romania: The U.S. U-18 Men’s National Team faces Romania this Friday and Sunday to wrap up its trip that started with a loss to France on Tuesday. Before the 11-day trip, U-18 MNT head coach Javier Perez caught up with ussoccer.com to talk about the player pool as the players look to make the next progression with the U-20 Men’s National Team.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- In a highly anticipated matchup of two first-place teams, the Southwest Division’s Real So Cal U-15/16 team posted a 3-0 victory against Northwest Division leader De Anza Force. Chester Castellaw had two goals and Carlos Gonzalez contributed a second-half goal as Real So Cal improved to 15-4-3 on the season. De Anza Force (15-3-4) entered the match on a 10-game unbeaten streak.
- The Dallas Texans U-17/18 team pulled off a couple nail-biting victories during its trip to Colorado, holding off Real Colorado 3-2 on Saturday and scoring a last-minute game-winner to beat the Colorado Rush 2-1 on Sunday. Jacob Garza tallied the winner against the Rush in the 90th minute. Garza also had a goal during the win against Real Colorado, which kept things interesting with back-to-back goals in the second half to cut into the Dallas Texans’ 3-0 lead. The Dallas Texans (12-5-3) are currently in second place in the Frontier Division behind FC Dallas.
- The New York Red Bulls U-17/18 team rallied from a 2-1 deficit and kept its unbeaten season intact with three straight tallies and a 4-2 victory against FC Bolts Celtic on Saturday. After benefitting from an own goal equalizer, New York’s Kaz Boschen scored the game-winner in the 68th minute and Ismar Tandir added an insurance tally in the 82nd minute as the Red Bulls improved to 12-0-4 and comfortably leads the Northeast Division.
Player of the Week: Justin Vom Steeg, GK, Real So Cal
Real So Cal U-15/16 goalkeeper Justin Vom Steeg was named Development Academy Player of the Week as he picked up two shutout road victories. Real So Cal shut out Santa Cruz Breakers Academy 5-0 on March 16 and then blanked De Anza Force 3-0 on March 17. Vom Steeg has also been called up for a U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team ’97s camp.
Referee of the Week: Farhad Dadkho
Farhad Dadkho earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during last Saturday’s U-17/18 match between the Portland Timbers and Strikers FC. Dadkho is a 31-year-old Grade 5 referee from Oregon. He has worked 33 Academy matches over the past two years and has attended the 2011 and 2012 Winter Showcase events, the postseason 2011 Showcase and the 2012 Academy Playoffs.
OTHER NEWS AND NOTES:
Alvarez Tallies Goal in Debut; Hamid Earns MLS Player of the Week: Several former Development Academy players stood out in the crowd during the third week of the Major League season . Among the noteworthy accomplishments, Chivas USA rookie Carlos Alvarez scored a big equalizer in his MLS debut against the LA Galaxy, while D.C. united goalkeeper Bill Hamid earned MLS Player of the Week after making seven saves to shut out the New York Red Bulls. (The YNT Blog)
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Chivas USA Hero Carlos Alvarez Savors Dream Debut with Kin – mlssoccer.com
- Chicago Fire Academy Director Sunderland Q & A – chicago-fire.com
- D.C. United Academy Teams Top Match Fit Academy – dcunited.com
- LA Galaxy Academy Names Dallas Cup Roster – lagalaxy.com
- NYRB Academy’s Comeback Preserves Unbeaten Record – Soccer America
- Development Academy Recap: Goals Galore – Top Drawer Soccer
- Development Academy Preview: CSA Wolves Host Magic, Fire – Top Drawer Soccer
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program