November Referees of the Week: 2012-13 Development Academy Season
Referees Vince Apple-Chiarella, Nima Sghafi and Turan Ozdemir received weekly honors during the month of November in the 2012-13 Development Academy season.
Dec. 18, 2012
© Michael Janosz/isiphotos.com
Throughout the U.S. Soccer Development Academy season, referees are recognized on a weekly basis for their outstanding performance officiating U-15/16 and U-17/18 matches.
Referees Vince Apple-Chiarella, Nima Sghafi and Turan Ozdemir received weekly honors in November as the 2012-13 Development Academy season completed its third month:
Week 11: Turan Ozdemir earned Referee of the Week after working a U-17/18 match between the San Jose Earthquakes and Seattle Sounders FC. Ozdemir is a 26-year-old Grade 6 referee from Northern California. He attended the Spring Showcase earlier this year.
Week 10: Nima Saghafi was named Referee of the Week for a U-17/18 match between Solar Chelsea SC and Sporting Kansas City. The game marked the Academy debut for Saghafi, a Grade 6 referee from Oklahoma. The 22-year-old official attended the 2012 Development Academy Winter Showcase.
Week 9: Vince Apple-Chiarella earned Referee of the Week honors for his performance during a U-17/18 match between San Juan Soccer Club and the San Jose Earthquakes. His performance at a handful of 2012 Referee Identification Events reinforced his selection as Referee of the Week. Apple-Chiarella, a Grade 6 referee, works in the Cal-North region and entering the game had officiated nearly 20 Development Academy matches. He attended the 2012 Development Academy Spring Showcase and served as a linesman in the USYSA U-19 Boys’ National Cup final between Crew Jrs. and GSA93 in Rock Hill, S.C., last summer.
2012-13 Development Academy Referees of the Week
- Week 11 (weekend of Nov. 17-18): Turan Ozdemir (California – North)
- Week 10 (weekend of Nov. 10-11): Nima Saghafi (Oklahoma)
- Week 9 (weekend of Nov. 3-4): Vince Apple-Chiarella (California – North)
- Week 8 (weekend of Oct. 27-28): Eric Tattersall (Pennsylvania – West)
- Week 7 (weekend of Oct. 20-21): Esteban Rosano (Florida)
- Week 6 (weekend of Oct. 13-14): Sergio Gonzalez (Maryland)
- Week 5 (weekend of Oct. 6-7): Oscar Rivas (Oregon)
- Week 4 (weekend of Sept. 27-28): Joshua Brooks (Kentucky)
- Week 3 (weekend of Sept. 22-23): Shane Danbeli (California – South)
- Week 2 (weekend of Sept. 15-16): Jordan Shaw (North Carolina)
- Week 1 (weekend of Sept. 8-9): Mohammad Samadpour (Maryland)