Portland Timbers (MLS) 0, LA Galaxy (MLS) 1
The LA Galaxy went on the road up I-5 to knock of MLS Western Conference rivals the Portland Timbers 1-0 in the team’s 2016 U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 match at Providence Park. The Galaxy escaped with the victory thanks to Raul Mendiola’s well-taken strike in just the fifth minute of play. A deflected cross rolled perfectly to the LA attacker at the top of the Portland box, and Mendiola made no mistake, curling a left-footed beautifully into the lower left corner of the goal past sprawling Timbers goalkeeper Wade Hamilton. The win set up the Galaxy with a Quarterfinal bout against another Cascadia foe as Seattle Sounders FC will come calling at StubHub Center on July 20.
Portland Timbers (MLS) vs. LA Galaxy (MLS)
Time/Location: 7:30 p.m. PT; Providence Park; Portland, Ore.
Portland Timbers Best Finish: Semifinalist (2013)
LA Galaxy Best Finish: Champions (2001, 2005)
Broadcast: U.S. Soccer YouTube
- The Portland Timbers arrived in the Round of 16 thanks to two second half goals from Dairon Asprilla and Jack McInerney in their 2-0 Fourth Round win against the San Jose Earthquakes on June 14.
- The LA Galaxy made it back to the Round of 16 via a 4-1 extra time win against amateur side La Maquina. Jose Villarreal, David Romney tallied and Sebastian Lletget bagged two goals in extra time.
- This is the first U.S. Open Cup meeting between the LA Galaxy and MLS-era Portland Timbers.
- LA Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena won the 1996 U.S. Open Cup as the head coach of D.C. United. Associate head coach Dave Sarachan led the Chicago Fire to Open Cup titles in 2003 and 2006. Assistant coach Pat Noonan and goalkeeping coach Matt Reis won the 2007 title with the New England Revolution, while Reis was also part of the Galaxy’s 2002 championship winning side.
- This is the second meeting between the two sides, following their 1-1 draw at StubHub Center on April 10.
- The winner of this match will host the winner of Seattle Sounders FC/Real Salt Lake match in the Quarterfinals on July 19-20.