Richmond Kickers (USL) 4, Aromas Café FC (Va., Open Division) 0
The Richmond Kickers got on the board early when Sunny Jane scored off a free kick just two minutes into the match. The Kickers’ Hugh Roberts added another in the 25th minute, ending the first half with a solid 2-0 lead. Minutes into the second half, Richmond’s Anthony Grant upped the home side’s lead to 3-0. Luiz Fernando added an 83rd minute goal to cap a 4-0 victory for the USL side. The Richmond Kickers will travel to play Jacksonville Armada FC on June 1.
Aromas Café FC (Va., Open Division) at Richmond Kickers (USL)
Time/Location: 7 p.m. ET; City Stadium; Richmond, Va.
Aromas Café FC Previous Appearances (Best Finish): First appearance (Second Round: 2016)
Richmond Kickers Previous Appearances (Best Finish): 18 appearances (Champions: 1995)
- In the first round, Aromas Café FC won its first-ever Open Cup match by defeating the Richmond Strikers 2-1 in extra time behind goals from Douglas Clare and Jake Van Yahres.
- Aromas Café FC qualified via the Open Division, defeating Tartan Devils Oak Avalon 3-1 on October 17 and Aegean Hawks 3-1 on November 15. Both matches were played in Charlottesville, Va.
- The 1995 champion Richmond Kickers make their 18th Open Cup appearance as one of three Second Round teams to have won the tournament previously (Rochester Rhinos 1999, New York Pancyprian Freedoms 1979, 1980, 1982).
- In 2015, Richmond progressed through the second and third rounds before being dispatched by Columbus Crew SC in fourth round play on June 17.
- Nine games into the USL season, Richmond is 4-3-2 and sits seventh in the league’s Eastern Conference.