April Heinrichs / Nike Coaching Education Scholarship Awarded to Ten Applicants
CHICAGO (Tuesday, April 17, 2001) - Nike and April Heinrichs are proud to announce the first recipients of the April Heinrichs/Nike Coaching Education Scholarship Awards. The award selection committee was amazed at the over 140 applications received for this wonderful opportunity and are
April 17, 2001
The following 10 candidates have been chosen from the outstanding field of candidates from all areas of the country and all levels of the game:
- Stephanie Diaz (Raleigh, N.C.)
- Laura Dobbs (Alpharetta, Ga.)
- Karen Ferguson (Louisville, Ky.)
- Cory Ann Forkner (Greencastle, In.)
- Sheri Huckleberry (Muncie, In.)
- Jennifer Mead (San Diego, Calif.)
- Steven Quinones (Gorham, Me.)
- Jennifer Rawlings (Birmingham, Ala.)
- Barbara Jo Reid (Anchorage, Ak.)
- Say Sutherlanda (Elkridge, Md.)
Each award recipient will be officially notified by mail and will be awarded $1,000 to be used for registration costs and expenses incurred in attending a USSF national level coaching academy. The recipients have indicated intended courses, which include National Youth License, A, B, and C level courses. Instructions for redeeming the scholarship award will be included in the award notification letter.
%=macroPart|font/arialBlue2=%FOR FUTURE SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS:
All applications received to date will be held over and considered for the next award to be made September 15, 2001. Only those applicants who need to update their application information need to send in a new application.
Due to the number of applicants and the cost difference between state and national level courses the committee determined to restrict the award to candidates applying for national level courses. Those applicants who applied for the scholarship for attendance at a state-level course should re-apply when they are eligible for and plan to attend a national course (A, B, C, or National Youth License).
The committee made award determinations based on (in no particular order):
- Contribution and involvement in the girl's and women's game;
- Evidence of previous dedication to pursuing coaching education;
- Financial considerations; and
- The impact that the education of this coach might have on the soccer community.
Next application deadline: September 1, 2001.
%=macroPart|font/arialBlue2=%On Behalf of Nike, April, and the Scholarship Award Committee - Congratulations to the Winners!