WNT World Cup History
Think you know your soccer trivia? We’ll be the judge of that. Pop quiz: who the heck is Jack Marshall? Even the trivia buffs in the U.S. Soccer Communications Department would be hard-pressed to tell you that one Jack Marshall received his one and only cap way back in 1926. Okay, that was pretty much impossible. They get easier. We give you four questions at varying difficulty levels, from 1 (easiest) to 4 (hardest).
Sep. 9, 2003
When you win two Women’s World Cups and finish third in another, there are plenty of good things to talk about. In turn, there are plenty of good things to test you regarding the U.S. Women’s National Team’s dominance in the main event.
Q1: Who holds the records for most goals scored in a single Women's World Cup game and a single Women's World Cup tournament?
Q2: Which three players on the United States 2003 Women's World Cup roster have scored goals in each of the three previous Women's World Cup Competitions?
Q3: Which former U.S. Women’s National Team member tied with teammate Tiffeny Milbrett for the team scoring lead at the ’95 Women’s World Cup with three goals?
Q4: Which team has the U.S. faced more than any other in Women's World Cup play?
scroll down to see the correct answers...
A1: Michelle Akers, who knocked in all of her team’s goals in a 5-0 opening round win over Brazil on Nov. 19, 1991. Akers finished the ’91 Women’s World Cup with a whopping 10 goals in six games to claim Golden Boot honors.
A2: Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy and Joy Facwett, who have combined for 11 goals in the three tournaments.
A3: Midfielder Tisha Venturini.
A4: China, with the USA holding a 1-0-2 record in three WWC appearances (two meetings at Norway ’95 and the final at USA ’99).
Table of Contents
1) Armchair Midfielder (A Look at the U.S. Women’s World Cup Team)
2) In Threes (w/ MNT midfielder Steve Ralston)
3) Whatever Happened to... (former WNT forward Carin Gabarra)
4) Queries & Anecdotes (w/ U-17 MNT defender Julian Valentin)
5) Mark That Calendar (WNT vs. Group D Opponents – Sept. 21, 25, 28)
6) Superstar!!! (w/ WNT midfielder Shannon Boxx)
7) FAN Point/Counterpoint (Who will win the FIFA Women’s World Cup USA 2003?)
8) "You Don’t Know Jack (Marshall)" (Women’s World Cup Trivia)
***HOW'S OUR WRITING?***
We want feedback. No, really. Positive, negative, indifferent--we take all kinds. Reach us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.