U-20 World Youth Championship
Think you know your soccer trivia? We’ll be the judge of that. Pop quiz: who the heck is Jack Marshall? Even the trivia buffs in the U.S. Soccer Communications Department would be hard-pressed to tell you that one Jack Marshall received his one and only cap way back in 1926. Okay, that was pretty much impossible. They get easier.
May 25, 2005
The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team will be partaking in their 10th World Youth Championship and fifth straight this June in Holland. With Eddie Gaven, Freddy Adu and Jonathan Spector leading the way, the U.S. will look to show the world the U.S. is continuing to emerge as a world soccer power. Before they get there, lets find out how much do you know about the past U-20 teams that have competed at the world stage.
1. Which three nations have won multiple FIFA World Youth Championships since
the first tournament in 1977?
2. Who was the first-choice goalkeeper and silver ball winner for the USA's
1989 World Youth Championship team that finished in fourth place, the best
finish ever for the U.S. ?
3. The leading U.S. scorers at the World Youth Championship in the last three
tournaments have all gone on to make a name for themselves professionally
in MLS and abroad. Who were they in 1999, 2001 and 2003?
4. All of the following players who have appeared in Major League Soccer
following their U.S. U-20 National Team careers scored at a World
Championship. Which has scored multiple goals in a World Championship?
a. Troy Dayak
b. Ryan Futagaki
c. Kenny Arena
d. Imad Baba
1. Argentina (4), Brazil (4), Portugal (2)
2. Kasey Keller
3. 1999: Taylor Twellman, 2001: DaMarcus Beasley, 2003: Eddie Johnson
4. a. Troy Dayak 2 in 1989