Across the Academy - Nov. 26, 2010
Nov. 26, 2010
WHAT’S AHEAD THIS WEEK:
Six Teams Begin: Real So Cal will begin its 2010-11 Development Academy season on Friday afternoon, while Cosmos Academy East (formerly BW Gottschee), Met Oval, Oakwood Soccer Club, Pateadores and South Central Premier will begin their campaigns on Saturday. Cosmos Academy East and Met Oval will be the final teams to start in the Liberty Division.
The Final Countdown: The 22 games slated for this weekend will be the last before all 156 Development Academy teams travel to the Reach 11 Complex in Phoenix, Ariz., for the 2010 Winter Showcase and Nike International Friendlies. Next weekend features 242 games, including the U-17 Men’s National Teams from the U.S., Brazil, Korea Republic and Turkey, and four Academy Select Teams. Click here for a full U-15/16 schedule and the U-17/18 schedule.
Torneo de las Americas Kicks Off: Thomas Rongen’s U-20 MNT is set to kick off the Torneo de las Americas on Friday, Nov. 26 against Colombia and continues on Sunday, Nov. 28, versus Mexico. With the addition of Sebastien Ibeagha (Houston Dynamo) and Dillon Powers (Andromeda) early this week, the U.S. roster contains 11 current or former Development Academy players. Both goalkeepers on the roster currently play in the Academy – Jonathan Kempin (Sporting Kansas City) and Eduardo Fernandez (Real Salt Lake Arizona).
U-18 MNT Continues Camp at The HDC: The U.S. U-18 MNT is finishing up a weeklong camp at The Home Depot Center. Head coach Mike Matkovich named a 36-player roster which came together on Nov. 20 for training and friendly games against local men’s teams, including Ventura County Fusion, FC Hasental, Hollywood United and Orange County Blue Star. The roster includes 31 players who are currently part of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, plus a former Academy player in Victor Pineda who signed a Homegrown Player contract with the Chicago Fire earlier this year. Midfielder Caleb Stanko played up last season with the U-17/18 Vardar squad that captured the 2009-10 championship. The camp ends on Nov. 28.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
• The 2010 Winter Showcase section of ussoccer.com is now available. The site is the best resource for travel information, more information about the Reach 11 complex and referees at the showcase.
• The Winter Showcase Select Team rosters are now available. The group of players born in 1993, and those born in 1994 and 1995 will be split in two groups that will play against each other. Full rosters for all four squads will be available during the event.
• In a match between Pacific Northwest rivals, Sounders Academy defeated Crossfire Premier 1-0 at the U-17/18 level to keep their record undefeated at 6-0-2.
• In the younger age group, Crossfire Premier put up a 4-0 win against the Sounders.
• Concorde Fire U-15/16 tied for the second time this season, a 1-1 draw with South Carolina United on Sunday bringing their season record to 11-0-2.
• That Concorde Fire team has averaged more than five goals per game this season, but were held to a narrow 2-1 victory against Atlanta Fire on Saturday.
• South Carolina began their successful weekend with a 5-2 win against Birmingham United.
• Sockers FC U-17/18 picked up two wins against new Academy clubs Shattucks-St. Mary’s and Minnesota Thunder, 2-0 and 2-1, respectively.
• Dallas Texans U-17/18 has bent but not broken, with six wins and six ties in their first 12 games.
• With five wins through seven games, Lonestar SC U-17/18 is hot on the tails of the Dallas Texans in the Texas Division.
• St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri came up with two impressive 2-0 wins at the U-15/16 level against Chicago Magic and Chicago Fire in Week 10.
• The two teams from Albertson combined for two wins and two draws against FC Greater Boston and the New England Revolution.
• PDA came away from the weekend with a similar record against Seacoast United and Empire United, picking up two wins and two draws.
WEEK EIGHT PEAK PERFORMERS
U-15/16 Performer of the Week – Nick Jones, St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri
Jones, a forward born in 1995, netted both goals in St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri’s 2-0 win against the Chicago Magic on Saturday, and helped his team to a 2-0 win against reigning champion Chicago Fire on Sunday.
U-17/18 Performer of the Week – Jose Ocampo, Crossfire Premier
Ocampo, born in 1995, has started all nine games for Crossfire Premier’s U-17/18 team with and against players three years older than he is. The defender has participated in U-15 Boy’s National Team camps this year, and has kept the attention of youth national team scouts as well as the Academy Technical Advisors.
Referee of the Week – Lahoucine Kharmaj
Kharmaj had excellent scores for his performance in the U-17/18 game between Albertson SC and FC Greater Boston. Hailing from Eastern New York, Kharmaj is a Grade 5 referee and a national candidate for 2011. He has officiated games in the past at the USL, Division 2 and MLS Reserve levels.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES
U.S. Team Full of Academy Alumni: The U.S. U-20 roster for the upcoming Torneo de las Americas in Kennesaw, Ga., features 11 players who were part of various Development Academy teams, more than half of the 20-man roster. In addition to current Academy goalkeeper Eduardo Fernandez (Real Salt Lake AZ), goalkeeper Jonathan Kempin (Sporting Kansas City), defenders Gale Agbossoumonde (IMG Academy), Bryan de la Fuente (Chivas USA) and Korey Veeder (Clearwater Chargers), midfielders Moises Orozco (Real So Cal) and Conor Shanosky (D.C. United) and Cesar Zamora (Chivas USA), and forwards Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls) and Tristan Bowen (LA Galaxy) are all former Academy players. With the exception of Fernandez, who is still part of the Real Salt Lake team, all are now professional players.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
• The Seattle Examiner recaps the Sounders Academy games from the weekend - Examiner.com
• Potomac Soccer Wire shares Alec Docker's Performer of the Week honor - Potomac Soccer Wire
• Philadelphia Union and former Academy Technical Director John Hackworth form partnership with local Academy clubs - PhillySoccer.com
• Houston 11 Soccer with an update on Dynamo Academy product Sebastien Ibeagha - Houston 11 Soccer
• Goal.com highlights former Academy players in its preview of third round NCAA action - Goal.com
• Freshman Soony Saad highlights Top Drawer Soccer's Team of the Season - MLSSoccer.com
• The Houston Dynamo wrap up last weekend’s games – HoustonDynamo.com