Across the Academy - Feb. 17, 2011
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2010-11 season.
Feb. 17, 2011
ACROSS THE ACADEMY
A Weekly Summary of Development Academy News – Feb. 17, 2011
U.S. U-17 MNT Advances to Quarterfinals, Prepares for Panama in CONCACAF U-17 Championship: The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team defeated Cuba 3-1 in the team’s opening Group B match, with seven Development Academy players in the starting lineup. The team rounds out group play on Friday, Feb. 18, against Panama in a game that will determine first place in Group B. The team qualified for the quarterfinals by virtue of a 0-0 tie between Cuba and Panama on Wednesday. The winners of the tournament's four quarterfinal games on Feb. 22 will advance to the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Mexico.
U.S. Under-20 MNT Learns 2011 CONCACAF U-20 Championship Schedule: The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team will face Suriname on Tuesday, March 29, and Panama on Saturday, April 2, in Group B of the 2011 CONCACAF U-20 Championship. Group A and Group B will meet each other in the quarterfinals on April 6, with the first-place winner from Group A facing the second-place finisher in Group B and vice versa. A tournament roster will be named closer to the event, which takes place March 28-April 10 in Guatemala.
Development Academy and Youth National Teams Take to Twitter: U.S. Soccer has launched a Twitter feed geared specifically toward fans of U.S. youth national teams and the Development Academy. Follow @ussoccer_ynt to keep up with YNT and Academy news and notes during an important year for the programs.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Shattuck-St. Mary’s Soccer Academy kicked off the Minnesota derby on Saturday, Feb. 12, with 3-1 victories against the Minnesota Thunder in both age groups.
- Christian Carillo scored a brace as Chivas USA U-17/18 won 2-0 against Real So Cal in a hard-fought battle of Southern California squads. Chivas USA improved its record to 7-3-4 with the result.
- Irvine Strikers U-15/16 led the West Conference in scoring, hammering home four goals from four different players in Christian Castillo, Mohammed Harb, Andres Irigoyen and Joshua Rosenstrauch in the 4-1 win against California Development Academy.
- Charlotte Soccer Academy U-15/16 moved up two places in the standings after a 5-0 win against Virginia Rush AJ Auxerre on Sunday, Feb. 13, in Charlotte, S.C. Roland Minogue IV, Player of the Week, led the charge with two goals, and Ben Burdon, Ian Patrick Orr and Austin Yearwood rounded out the scoring.
WEEK EIGHT PEAK PERFORMERS
U-15/16 Performer of the Week: Roland Minogue IV – Midfielder, Charlotte Soccer Academy
Minogue guided his teams to a 2-0-0 record last weekend, posting victories against the Richmond Kickers and Virginia Rush. He scored three goals, two against Virginia Rush and received high ratings from the U.S. Soccer scout in attendance.
U-17/18 Performer of the Week: Andrew Kendall-Moullin – Defender, Shattuck-St. Mary’s Soccer Academy
Kendall-Moullin played up a year with the U-17/18 Shattuck-St. Mary’s Soccer Academy team, going the full 90 minutes in the 3-1 win against Minnesota Thunder Academy. The defender has played with the older squad for much of the season.
Referee of the Week: Hector Perez
Perez is a Grade 4 referee from Southern California. He earned high marks for his performance in the U-17/18 match between Irvine Strikers and California Development Academy. Perez has officiated 23 Development Academy matches during the past two years and also referees Premier Development League and Major League Soccer preseason games.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES
Chris Agorsor Signs with Philadelphia Union: Former Baltimore Bays striker and inaugural U-17/18 Player of the Year Chris Agorsor joined the Philadelphia Union after the Major League Soccer squad acquired his rights in a weighted lottery. Agorsor joins MLS after training stints in Europe and recovering from a knee injury suffered while at Virginia. Capping off a standout performance at Finals Week, Agorsor led his team to the 2008-07 Development Academy championship, earning Man of Match honors in the Bays’ 4-2 win against LAFC.
Gale Agbossoumonde Loaned to Swedish Club Djurgardens IF: Miami FC defender and former IMG Soccer Academy standout Gale Agbossoumonde has agreed to a six-month loan to Swedish club Djurgardens IF. The U-20 MNT defender is currently with the club for preseason training. Agbossoumonde become one of the first Development Academy alumni to play with the U.S. Men’s National Team when he came on for Clarence Goodson in the 87th minute of the USA’s 1-0 win against South Africa on Nov. 17, 2010, in Cape Town.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Get to know U.S. U-17 Men's National Team and Vardar defender Zach Carroll - U.S. Soccer
- First U-17/18 Player of the Year Chris Agorsor Signs with Philadelphia Union – U.S. Soccer
- Four Development Academy teams to compete in 2011 Dallas Cup in April – U.S. Soccer
- Houston Dynamo Academy goalkeeper Fernando Piña talks to ussoccer.com while at the CONCACAF U-17 Championship with the U.S. U-17 MNT – U.S. Soccer
- Cosmos Academy West midfielder Esteban Rodríguez talks to ussoccer.com about how he started playing soccer and playing for the U.S. U-17 MNT – U.S. Soccer
- U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team head coach Wilmer Cabrera names roster for 2011 CONCACAF U-17 Championship – U.S. Soccer
- San Diego Surf coach Colin Chesters discusses youth soccer in the United States – SoccerNation.com
- Former IMG Soccer Academy standout Gale Agbossoumonde loaned to Djurgardens IF in Sweden – Soccer By Ives
- Move to U.S. Soccer Development Academy opens doors for Michigan native Ben Myers – ESPN RISE