Across the Academy - April 7, 2011
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2010-11 season.
April 7, 2011
© U.S. Soccer
ACROSS THE ACADEMY
A Weekly Summary of Development Academy News – April 7, 2011
Derby Time: There are several exciting rivalries on display this weekend that include local derbies in Chicago as Sockers FC host the Chicago Magic on Saturday and Chicago Fire on Sunday, in Ohio as International visit Crew Soccer Academy and in North Carolina as North Meck takes on Charlotte Soccer Academy and North Carolina Fusion faces CASL Chelsea FC Academy. The weekend is also highlighted by conference and divisional matches in Southern California in the West Conference as well as throughout the Central Conference.
U.S. U-20 Men’s National Team Misses Out on 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup: The U.S. Under-20 Men's National Team missed out on an eighth-consecutive FIFA U-20 World Cup after losing 2-1 to Guatemala on Wednesday night. Conor Doyle scored the USA's lone goal, but that was not enough to spark a come-from-behind win against a spirited Guatemalan team spurred on by a partisan home crowd in the Central American nation's capital.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- A total of 263 goals were scored during 96 games over the course of the weekend as 58 of the Academy’s 78 clubs saw action.
- All four conferences saw action during the weekend for the first time since the 2010 Winter Showcase last December.
- With inter-conference action back in full swing, Sporting Kansas City climbed into the top spot in the Frontier Division in both age groups after the U-15/16 team tied 0-0 against Minnesota Thunder Academy and won 2-0 against Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy. The U-17/18 team won 3-2 against Minnesota Thunder Academy and tied 2-2 against Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy.
- The U-15/16 Vardar team also moved up to first place in the Great Lakes Division with two victories, winning 1-0 against the Chicago Fire and 1-0 against Chicago Magic.
- FC Dallas also went undefeated, with the U-15/16 team winning 3-0 and the U-17/18 team winning 2-1 against Lonestar SC Academy.
- Baltimore Bays Chelsea and Empire United went undefeated in both age groups last weekend, with Baltimore winning against Albertson SC and FC Westchester, while Empire defeated Potomac.
- The U-15/16 Baltimore Bays Chelsea squad moves up to third place in the Mid-Atlantic Division after a 3-0 victory against Albertson and a 2-0 win against FC Westchester.
- The LA Galaxy went undefeated in four games last weekend as the U-15/16 squad defeated Nomads SC 4-0 and won 2-0 against San Diego Surf. The U-17/18 team won 3-2 against Nomads SC and 1-0 against San Diego Surf.
U-15/16 Performer of the Week: Vernon Baily – Defender, Dallas Texans
Bailey started and played 80 full minutes in the Dallas Texans’ game on Sunday, April 3, against Solar Chelsea FC. He has proven to be a consistent defender for the U-15/16 Dallas Texans team, starting 14 of the team’s 16 games this season and helping to guide the team to a 6-5-5 record. Baily is a member of the U.S. Under-14 and Under-15 Boys’ National Team player pool.
U-17/18 Performer of the Week: Allando Matheson – Forward, Oakwood SC
Matheson becomes the first Oakwood SC player to be recognized as Performer of the Week after helping to guide the team to a 2-0-0 record last weekend with a 4-2 win against FC DELCO and a 4-0 win against PA Classics. He started and played the full 90 minutes against PA Classics, scoring two goals in the victory. He also sparked the two-goal comeback against FC DELCO after entering the game at halftime.
Referee of the Week: Matt Nelson
Matt Nelson earned Referee of the Week honors after receiving high marks and a positive evaluation following the U-17/18 Baltimore Bays Chelsea match against FC Westchester. The 23-year-old from Maryland has officiated 43 Academy matches, including games at the 2010 Development Academy Finals Week as an assistant referee, the 2009 and 2010 Spring Showcase and the 2010 Winter Showcase.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Zach Pfeffer Feels at Home in Philadelphia: Former FC DELCO player Zach Pfeffer tries to live his life just like any other 16-year-old. The main difference between Pfeffer and other kids his age is his job as a professional soccer player with the Philadelphia Union, which he joined as the team’s first homegrown player.
Luna Starts for FC Dallas: Former FC Dallas Juniors forward Ruben Luna started for the first time with the FC Dallas first team against the Columbus Crew on Friday, April 1. Luna had recently scored in a reserve match for FC Dallas before being selected by head coach Schellas Hyndman to make his first start for the first team.
Dzenan Catic Searches for European Opportunity: Former Derby County Wolves’ Dzenan Catic continues his club search in Europe. The Croatian-American has been on trial with several clubs over the past month, with the last stop coming at Swiss club, FC Basel.
Russell Canouse is Happy at Hoffenheim: Former New York Red Bulls Academy defender Russell Canouse recently moved from the U.S. to Germany. Canouse joined TSG Hoffenheim of the Bundesliga and describes life in the academy setup of the German club.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Chivas USA Academy Expands Reach, Talent Pool – Chivas USA
- CASL Teams Hit the Road – The News & Observer
- Top Drawer Soccer’s U-15/16 Academy Weekend Recap – Top Drawer Soccer
- Wesco Soccer Players on a Dream Trip to Italy – The Daily Herald
- Whitecaps First Canadian Program to Join U.S. Circuit – Soccer America
- San Jose Earthquakes Academy Making Early Strides Toward Success – MLSsoccer.com
- Caps’ Expanded Residency Program Ready for Takeoff – The Province
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy: Concorde Fire – MLSsoccer.com
- Total Soccer with Bobby Rhine: March 31 – FC Dallas
- Academy an Essential Piece of Sporting Puzzle – MLSsoccer.com
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC to Join U.S. Soccer Development Academy – ussoccer.com
- Lecture Them Not – Soccer America
- Minnesota Development Academy Teams Back in Action – Inside Minnesota Soccer
- IMG Academy to Optimize Residency Program – Top Drawer Soccer
- Top Drawer Soccer Academy Weekend Review – Top Drawer Soccer
- More Academy Players Make College Choice – Top Drawer Soccer
- About FC Dallas Academy – Texas Futgol