Across the Academy - Oct. 27
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2011-12 season.
Oct. 27, 2011
© U.S. Soccer
U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team In France: After wrapping up the 2011 AGS Cup in Spain, the U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team traveled to France for the Val-de-Marne Tournament in Paris. All 22 players who made the trip to Spain also traveled to France, falling 3-0 against the hosts in the first match and 2-1 to Peru in the second game of the tournament. The team wraps up tournament play on Oct. 29 against the Netherlands.
Academy Technical Advisor Richie Williams Named Head Coach of U.S. U-18 MNT: U.S. Soccer has named former U.S. international Richie Williams as head coach of the U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team. Williams becomes the third head coach appointed to a U.S. youth national team since Jurgen Klinsmann began his tenure with the U.S. Men’s National Team, following the announcement that that University of Akron head coach Caleb Porter will lead the Under-23 Men through 2012 Olympic qualifying, while three-time World Cup veteran Tab Ramos will coach the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team. As part of their duties, the trio will be responsible for player identification and development while integrating the philosophies of the full national team into their programs.
U.S. Soccer, U.S. Soccer Foundation and NIKE Award 151 Need-Based Scholarships: U.S. Soccer, in conjunction with NIKE and the U.S. Soccer Foundation, has selected 151 participants for the 2011-12 Development Academy Scholarship program. The awards provide need-based aid to full-time players participating in the Development Academy program. Of 78 clubs in the Academy, 50 have participants in the Scholarship Program’s fourth year. The program helps offset the cost of playing in the Academy, specifically travel expenses, and is an ongoing effort by U.S. Soccer to reduce the expenses for players who demonstrate need for assistance.
Featured Fixtures: The intense competition continues in Texas, with the Houston Dyanmo facing off against Classics Elite, the Dallas Texans facing crosstown rival Solar Chelsea SC and Texans SC Houston U-17/18 taking on Lonestar SC Academy. The last two teams each have only one loss so far in the season, with Texans SC holding a 3-1-2 record and Lonestar SC registering a 3-1-1 record. Other featured clashes include the undefeated Real Salt Lake AZ U-15/16 (5-0-0) hosting Chivas USA (3-2-0), Clearwater Chargers U-15/16 (4-1-3) taking on the Concorde Fire (5-3-2) and undefeated Weston FC U-15/16 (5-0-3) hosting South Carolina United Battery (7-1-1).
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- More than 160 goals were scored in 48 games this past weekend with only two players registering a hat trick or more.
- Lonestar SC Academy U-17/18’s Kekuta Manneh catapulted himself into the leading scorers list with four goals; all four in the 4-2 win against Solar Chelsea SC.
- Real Salt Lake AZ U-15/16 kept their undefeated record intact (5-0-0) with a 3-1 win against the San Jose Earthquakes. The team is in second place in the SoCal Division with six points, behind Chivas USA, which has played more divisional matches and holds nine points.
- The Vancouver Whitecaps lead both age groups in the Northwest Division, with six points in the Under-15/16 age group and four points in the Under-17/18 age group.
- De Anza Force U-15/16’s Juan Romero tallied three of his team’s four goals in the 4-1 win against Strikers FC.
- Dallas Texans U-15/16 remains the only undefeated team in the Central Conference with a 5-0-1 record, all of which have been divisional matches.
- Lonestar SC Academy U-17/18’s Kekuta Manneh led the Academy in scoring; tallying four goals in the 4-0 win against Solar Chelsea SC.
- On the U-17/18 side, FC Dallas remains the lone undefeated team with a 6-0-0 record, all of which have been divisional games.
- South Carolina United Battery leads the Southeast Division in both age groups with a 5-1-1 record at the U-15/16 level and an undefeated 3-0-4 record at the U-17/18 age level.
- Georgia United U-15/16 and Clearwater Charges went into their weekend’s match firing on all cylinders, with the result being a 4-4 tie between the divisional rivals.
Week 7 Player of the Week: Andrew Brody – Midfielder, Real Salt Lake AZ
Andrew Brody has been an instrumental part of the U-15/16 Real Salt Lake AZ team that is undefeated with a 5-0-0 record in the SoCal Division. Brody started and scored in team’s 3-1 win against the San Jose Earthquakes and also scored the equalizer in the 1-1 tie against Cal Odyssey. He has started four of Real Salt Lake’s five games this season, scoring four goals.
Referee of the Week: Eric Ehrhardt
Eric Ehrhardt is a Grade 7 referee from Northern California. He earned high marks for his performance in the U-17/18 match between Cal Odyssey and Real Salt Lake AZ. Ehrhardt has officiated over 50 Development Academy matches since becoming involved with the Academy program in the past year. He has attended the 2010 Winter Showcase, the 2011 Spring Showcase and is slated to attend the 2011 Winter Showcase in Sarasota, Fla.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Darlington Nagbe’s Goal is No. 2 on ESPN: Former Internationals standout and current Portland Timbers rookie Darlington Nagbe scored a screamer against Sporting Kansas City that was designated No. 2 in the Top 10 MLS Goals of the Year on ESPN. Nagbe controlled a rebounded, juggled it and blasted a rocket into the top left corner of the net.
Will Bates Tears ACL: University of Virginia junior and Development Academy alumnus Will Bates was on a roll with 14 of Virginia’s 29 goals this season. Bates’ collegiate career was put on hold six months after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- ESPN RISE highlights the match between Chivas USA and Real Salt Lake AZ – ESPN RISE
- Los Angeles Galaxy forward and former Player of the Week Jose Villarreal is in Europe for a series of trials at different clubs – Yanks Abroad
- Feature about Development Academy Scholarship Program alumnus Mamadee Nyepon – ussoccer.com
- ESPN RISE features Aaron Guillen and his move from the Texas Fire to FC Dallas Academy – ESPN RISE
- A short question and answer segment on ussoccer.com answers basic Scholarship Program questions – ussoccer.com
- Video of Top 10 MLS Goals of the Year on ESPN with Darlington Nagbe’s goal at No. 2 – espn.com
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy Technical Advisor Richie Williams named head coach of the U.S. U-18 Men’s National Team – ussoccer.com
- FC Dallas Academy’s Oscar Pareja spoke with ussoccer.com about his time with the U.S. U-15 Boys’ National team coaching staff – ussoccer.com