Across the Academy - Nov. 28
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2011-12 season.
Nov. 28, 2011
© U.S. Soccer
Nike International Friendlies: FOX Soccer will broadcast all three U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team matches during the 2011 Nike International Friendlies in conjunction with the Development Academy Winter Showcase in December. The U.S. will take on Brazil, France and Turkey during the competition, which will be held at the Premier Sports Campus in Lakewood Ranch, Fla. The U.S. U-17 MNT will play each of its games at 5 p.m. ET, facing off against France on Nov. 30, Turkey on Dec. 2 and Brazil on Dec. 4. Fans can also follow the action on ussoccer.com’s MatchTracker.
Academy Select Teams Set for 2011 Winter Showcase: The U.S. Soccer Technical Staff has named 78 Development Academy players that will be divided into four Select Teams and compete in two games during the 2011 Winter Showcase. The games will be held on Dec. 3 at the Premier Sports Complex in Lakewood Ranch, Fla. Divided by age group, the players born in 1995 will be split into two teams and face off at 7 p.m. ET, while the two teams made up of players born in 1996 will compete at 5 p.m. ET. The scouting network, Technical Advisors and Youth National Team coaches selected the players based on their performances at Academy games, Training Centers and Youth National Team camps. The matches provide the players with the opportunity to play alongside some of the top players in their age groups.
Season Debut: Several teams kicked off their season during the last two weekends, with Match Fit Chelsea, South Central Premier, Oakwood Soccer Club and NJSA 04 becoming the last teams to debut. NJSA 04 kicked off its third season, while the other three teams began their fifth Academy season.
2011 Development Academy Winter Showcase Kicks Off: The 2011 Development Academy Winter Showcase kicks off on Friday, Dec. 2, at the Premier Sports Complex in Sarasota, Fla. The Showcase runs through Tuesday, Dec. 6, and features all 78 Academy clubs playing cross-conference matches during the extended weekend. Up-to-date information can be found at the 2011 Winter Showcase homepage at ussoccer.com.
Nike Elite Training 2.0 at the 2011 Winter Showcase: Nike is excited to bring Elite Training 2.0 to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy 2011 Winter Showcase. Elite Training 2.0 brings together a unique combination of physical assessment and data collection. Players will also have the opportunity to trial Nike’s latest soccer boots. Look for the Elite Training Experience on-site at the Premier Sports Campus next to Field 11. The Experience is open to both individual players and teams.
Nick Rimando and AT&T at the Athletes Lounge on Sunday: U.S. Men’s National Team goalkeeper Nick Rimando will be at the Athlete’s Lounge on Sunday, Dec. 4 from 3-7:30 p.m. at the Development Academy Winter Showcase and NIKE International Friendlies. Rimando will be at AT&T’s interactive area signing autographs, taking pictures, playing soccer tennis, participating in a Q & A during pre-game and halftime of the U.S. vs. Brazil game and watching the game with several lucky fans.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- More than 100 matches were played during the past two weekends, with 314 total goals being scored.
- Mark Segbers of St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri U-15/16 was the only player to register a hat trick, leading the way in his team’s victory against FC Milwaukee.
- Seattle Sounders FC U-17/18 maintained its position at the top of the Northwest Division with a 2-1 win against De Anza Force and a 5-0 win against Santa Cruz Breakers Academy.
- Teams from the Great Lakes and Frontier Divisions started off their season in earnest, with only Crew Soccer Academy and Internationals left to play their opening match.
- St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri U-15/16 began its weekend with a scoreless tie against Sockers FC, and followed it up with a strong win against FC Milwaukee.
- FC Dallas U-17/18 maintained its undefeated record (8-0-1) with a 3-0 win against Lonestar SC Academy.
- South Carolina United Battery leaped into first place in the U-17/18 Southeast Division with a 2-0 win against Birmingham United and a 1-0 win against Concorde Fire, moving up in the standings past Concorde Fire and Georgia United.
- South Carolina United Battery is the only club to lead its division in both age groups.
- All 19 teams in the East Conference kicked off the Academy season playing a non-divisional opponent in the conference.
Week 11 Player of the Week: Marius Heislitz – Goalkeeper, Georgia United
Marius Heislitz was a key contributor for Georgia United U-15/16 team on Saturday, Nov. 19, playing the entire game and earning the shutout in the 1-0 win against Concorde Fire. Heislitz has started six games for Georgia United in the team’s first year in the Academy, playing a key role in the team’s third-place standing within the Southeast U-15/16 Division.
Referee of the Week: Adam Brugman
Adam Brugman earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance in the U-17/18 SoCal division matchup between San Diego Surf and Chivas USA. Brugman is a grade 4, national referee from Cal-South. He has officiated more than 40 Academy regular season matches in his region. He also officiates games in U.S. Soccer’s Youth National Team Program, WPS, USL PRO, PDL and some MLS Preseason matches. This past October Brugman participated in the U.S. Soccer Referee Academy at the 2011 Armed Forces Championship event at Langley Air Force Base in Virginia.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Academy Alumni Lead Their Teams in NCAA Tournament: Top-ranked North Carolina’s Billy Schuler, formerly of Match Fit Chelsea, led the Tar Heels with the lone goal in the 1-0 win against No. 16 Indiana in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. Other Academy Alumni also contributed to their teams with goals and assists.
Zach Pfeffer Training in Germany: According to the Philadelphia Union’s Twitter feed, Homegrown player Zach Pfeffer, of FC DELCO, is training at TSG Hoffenheim in Germany. Pfeffer, 16, is training with Hoffenheim’s Under-19 and Under-23 teams.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- The New England Revolution recap the opening weekend for their Academy squads – New England Revolution
- Players named to Academy Select teams for the 2011 Winter Showcase – soccernation.com
- 2011 Nike International Friendlies will be televised on FOX Soccer – paddocktalk.com
- Chivas USA recaps its Academy teams’ Nov. 19 matches – Chivas USA