Across the Academy - Nov. 3
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2011-12 season.
Nov. 3, 2011
© U.S. Soccer
U.S. U-23 Men’s National Team Training Camp Roster Set: U.S. Under-23 Men’s National Team head coach Caleb Porter has named 31 players to the roster for the upcoming training camp in Duisburg, Germany, which also features several players who are age-eligible for the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team. The camp will be held from Nov. 7-16 at the Sportschule Wedau, a German sporting school where the players will train and stay. The roster includes nine former U.S. Soccer Development Academy players: Gale Agbossoumonde, Joe Corona, Sean Cunningham, Conor Doyle, Josh Gatt, Jon Kempin, Caleb Stanko, Zarek Valentin and Ethan White. Jose Villarreal, the only current Development Academy player, scored both goals for Pateadores in the 2011 Development Academy U-17/18 Championship against FC Dallas. Shortly after, he was invited to the Milk Cup with the U-18 MNT.
Former Academy Goalkeeper Bill Hamid Named to U.S. MNT Roster: D.C. United homegrown player and goalkeeper Bill Hamid was once again called into camp by U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann. Hamid, who is currently training in England, will travel to France where the team will begin gathering on Nov. 7. The U.S. will first face France on Nov. 11 in Paris. Kickoff at the famed Stade de France is set for 3 p.m. ET (9 p.m. local time), and the match will be broadcast live on ESPN2, ESPN3, Univision and Univision.com. Four days later, the U.S. plays Slovenia for the first time since the 2-2 draw in the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Coverage from Stozice Stadium in Ljubljana begins at 1 p.m. ET (6 p.m. local) on ESPN2, ESPN3 and Galavision. Fans can follow both matches live on ussoccer.com’s MatchTracker and Twitter @ussoccer.
Featured Fixtures: The 28 matches scheduled for the upcoming weekend are full of intense encounters. In Texas, Solar Chelsea SC U-17/18 (3-2-2) takes on Texans SC Houston (4-1-2). Elsewhere in the southern U.S., McLean Youth Soccer U-17/18 (4-3-2) faces Georgia United (5-2-4) as the first-year team continues to build on its strong start. Concorde Fire U-17/18 (6-2-4) hosts Birmingham United (5-4-3) and Real Salt Lake AZ U-17/18 (3-2-1) faces undefeated Arsenal FC (3-0-3). At the U-15/16 level, Real Salt Lake AZ puts its 6-0-0 record on the line against the also undefeated Arsenal FC (4-0-2).
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- There weren’t any hat tricks scored this past weekend, but nine players scored twice for their teams and 100 total goals were tallied over the course of the weekend.
- The home teams are pulling ahead, registering a 119-66-55 record as the Academy season reaches its eighth week.
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC leads the Northwest Division in both age groups, with a 2-0-0 divisional record at the U-15/16 level and a 1-0-1 record at the U-17/18 level.
- Real Salt Lake AZ U-15/16 is still perfect so far this season, increasing its undefeated record to 6-0-0 after a 3-1 win against Chivas USA.
- Six different players were on the scoresheet for FC Dallas U-15/16 in the 7-0 win against Andromeda, with Erick Chapa scoring twice.
- The teams leading the Texas Division in each age group remain undefeated, with Dallas Texans U-15/16 registering a 5-0-2 record while FC Dallas has a 6-0-1 record.
- The South Carolina United Battery leads the Southeast Division in both age groups, with a 6-1-2 record at the U-15/16 level and 3-0-6 record in the older group.
- Virginia Rush U-15/16 and McLean Youth Soccer U-17/18 boast undefeated 3-0-0 records in the Atlantic Division.
Week 8 Player of the Week: Trevor Haberkorn – Midfielder, Solar Chelsea SC
Trevor Haberkorn’s consistently strong performances have made him a key contributor to a Solar Chelsea U-15/16 team that is now 2-2-3 and fifth in the Texas Division. Haberkorn, who was a member of the U.S. Soccer Residency Program in the fall of 2010, has started all six of the games he has played in, including the 0-0 draw against the Dallas Texans U-15/16 (5-0-1) this past weekend.
Referee of the Week: Matthew Franz
Franz, a Grade 5 referee from Norfolk, Va., was recognized for his performance in the U-15/16 match between Atlantic Division opponents Virginia Rush and Richmond Strikers. A highly regarded official in the DC/Virginia area, Franz officiated in the 2010 Winter Showcase and is slated to attend the event again in December. He also officiates PDL and W-League matches and this year was exposed to the professional game, working matches in USL Pro and the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Former Academy Players in Playoffs: Several former Academy players saw MLS Playoff action during the past week and a few have advanced to the next round. Soony Saad came on as a sub for Sporting Kansas City and Luis Gil played in both legs of the Real Salt Lake series against Seattle, helping his team advance to the Western Conference Final. Both Will Bruin and Danny Cruz participated in the Houston Dynamo’s 2-1 win against Philadelphia, and both teams will meet up again tonight for the second leg of the series.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Local Kansas City CBS station features former Sporting Kansas City Academy’s Jon Kempin’s call-up to the U-23 MNT camp – wibw.com
- US Club Soccer Vice President Christian Lavers discusses the Development Academy’s role in the changes to the landscape of youth soccer in the U.S. – Soccer America
- ESPN RISE highlights Georgia United’s strong start – ESPN RISE
- Sports Illustrated recaps the weekend, including Josh Gatt’s Molde FK winning the Norwegian championship and Conor Doyle’s play at Derby County – Sports Illustrated
- Brent Latham analyzes the importance of the upcoming November camp for the U-23 MNT – ESPN Insider
- A brief overview of the U.S. U-23 MNT roster, which includes former Crew Soccer Academy Wolves forward Josh Gatt, who is recovering from an injury – USFutblog.com
- Soccer By Ives analyzes the U-23 MNT Roster, with the inclusion of former Nomads SC player Joe Corona – Soccer By Ives