Across the Academy - May 31
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2011-12 season.
May 31, 2012
© U.S. Soccer
U.S. U-20 MNT Prepares for Uruguay, Chile: U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team head coach Tab Ramos named a 20-player roster for a training camp in Houston. That will be followed by June 6 and 8 matches at Uruguay and a June 12 game at Chile in Santiago. Fourteen of the 20 players on the roster are members of the Development Academy.
Dixon, U.S. U-15 BNT Open Marveld with Victory: New York Red Bulls Academy forward Malcolm Dixon scored two goals and the U.S. U-15 Boys’ National Team opened the International Marveld Tournament in Holland with a 5-0 victory against Feyenoord. Current Development Academy players Ben Swanson (Crew Soccer Academy), Max Stiegwardt (Minnesota Thunder) and Amir Bashti (San Jose Earthquakes Academy) each added a goal.
CASL, Virginia Rush Meet in Atlantic Division Play: Atlantic Division leader CASL Chelsea FC Academy (8-0-2) faces the Virginia Rush (7-3-2) this Sunday at the WRAL Soccer Center. The Rush is currently three points behind CASL and one point behind second-place Charlotte Soccer Academy. CASL Chelsea’s defense has been stellar, allowing only seven goals in 10 division games, while the Rush showcases the top offense in the Atlantic Division with 21 goals in 12 games.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- John Lujano and Ricardo Lopez-Espin gave the Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy’s U-17/18 team a two-goal lead during its 2-1 win against Sporting Kansas City last Friday, extending its lead in the Frontier Division to seven points with an 8-1-2 record. The Shattuck-Saint Mary’s U-15/16 team, also leading its division, overcame a 2-0 deficit as Karl Frisk and Lucas Stauffer found the net during an eight-minute span in the second half en route to a 2-2 draw.
- The Northeast Division leaderboard continues to change as the third club in three weeks now sits atop the division. Previously Empire United and Oakwood Soccer Club held the slots, but the New England Revolution U-17/18 team moved up four spots after its 4-1 win against FC Greater Boston. Mawolo Gissie scored two goals for the Revolution U-17/18 team to put Monday’s match out of reach. The Revolution U-15/16 team blanked FC Greater Boston 5-0, with Dominik Machado and Ramiro Osario each netting two goals.
- Evan Deycaza led the CASL Chelsea FC Academy U-15/16 team with his 75th-minute go ahead goal to post a 2-1 victory against the North Carolina Fusion last Thursday, May 24 in continued strong divisional play. The victory propelled CASL into first place in the Atlantic Division with an 8-0-2 record.
- The SoCal Division’s LA Galaxy U-17/18 team joined its U-15/16 team in clinching a spot in the Academy Playoffs. One week after the Galaxy U-15/16 team qualified, the older squad posted a 5-1 victory against Arsenal FC. Drew Murphy scored two goals and Jaime Villarreal added his 18th goal of the season as the Galaxy sits atop the SoCal Division with an 11-3-1 record and a one-point lead over cross-town rival Chivas USA.
ACADEMY AND ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Vardar Product Saad Lifts Sporting K.C. in Open Cup: Sporting Kansas City’s Soony Saad, formerly of the Development Academy’s Vardar SC Freiburg, scored two goals in a four-minute span as he led Sporting to a 3-2 win against Orlando City SC in the third round of the 2012 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park in Kansas City, Kan.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Crossfire Clamps Down on Top Teams – ESPN RISE
- Star-Studded Galaxy Moves into U-17/18 Academy Playoffs – Soccer America
- Timbers Name Staff for Development Academy Launch – Soccer America
- Video: Rapids Academy’s Ricardo Perez Hits From Distance – ColoradoRapids.com
- Victor Pineda Named to U.S. U-20 Roster – Chicago-Fire.com
- New England Revolution Wins Twice Vs. FC Greater Boston – RevolutionSoccer.net
- LA Galaxy Academy Closes Out Regular Season Against Nomads – LAGalaxy.com
- Development Academy Recap – ESPN RISE