Across the Academy - Oct. 18
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
Oct. 18, 2012
© U.S. Soccer
2012-13 Academy Outlook Video Series: In the newest installment of the 2012-13 Academy Outlook video series, Director of Scouting Tony Lepore discusses improvement in the everyday environment of the Development Academy. Lepore pinpoints the simplification of the pathway to the youth national teams by creating a setting that focuses on more training, fewer games and more meaningful games to produce the most out of Academy players.
U-17 MNT Roster Named for Argentina: U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team head coach Richie Williams named his 20-player roster for the team’s upcoming trip to Argentina from Oct. 21-27 for the Four Nations Tournament and a pair of international friendlies against Uruguay and Paraguay. Thirteen players come from a Development Academy club.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Real Salt Lake AZ’s U-17/18 team had a perfect weekend with a 2-0 win against the San Diego Surf and a 3-0 victory against Nomads SC. Benjamin Lopez had a strong weekend with the opening goal against the San Diego Surf and two goals against Nomads SC. Real Salt Lake AZ leads the Southwest Division at 4-0-1 and has posted three straight shutouts.
- Chivas USA and the LA Galaxy split their set last Sunday. Caleb Calvert and Daniel Crisostomo each had a goal for the Chivas USA U-15/16 team’s 2-0 victory. The LA Galaxy U-17/18 team overcame an early deficit with three unanswered goals for a 3-1 win as Justin Dhillon, Drew Murphy and John McBean provided the scoring.
- Vardar SC Freiburg remained unbeaten at both age levels, led by a two-win weekend from the U-15/16 team (4-0-2). Bradley Centala’s 28th-minute goal for a 3-0 lead proved to be the winner en route to a 4-2 victory against FC Milwaukee and Nathan McLean had the lone score for a 1-0 win against Sockers FC. The Vardar SC Freiburg U-17/18 team (4-0-2) had a 4-1 win against FC Milwaukee and a 2-2 draw against Sockers FC. Vardar SC Freiburg’s two teams are second in the Mid-America Division.
- Matheau Rogers and Chicago Magic PSG’s U-17/18 team traveled to Minnesota and came away with 1-0 victories against the Minnesota Thunder Academy and Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy to improve to 7-1-0 on the season. Rogers had both goals for Chicago Magic PSG.
- South Carolina United Battery Academy’s Michele Bottari scored a game-winning goal in the final minute of regulation as the U-15/16 team kept its perfect season intact with a 2-1 victory against Charlotte Soccer Academy on Saturday. Rex Epps had the other goal for South Carolina United Battery to improve to 4-0-0 atop the Southeast Division.
- FC DELCO’s Doyle Tuvesson scored four goals over the weekend to take the U-15/16 scoring lead to propel the squad to two victories and a 4-1-0 record in the Atlantic Division Tuvesson had a goal during FC DELCO’s 3-2 win against the Richmond Strikers on Saturday, then scored three goals for a 4-0 win against the Richmond Kickers on Sunday.
Week 6 Player of the Week: Erik Palmer-Brown, Defender, Sporting Kansas City
Erik Palmer-Brown, a center back playing up for Sporting Kansas City’s U-17/18 team, has helped Sporting to a 5-0-0 start and first place in the Frontier Division. Palmer-Brown and the Sporting Kansas City defense have allowed only four goals this season. He recently attended his first youth national team camp in September.
Referee of the Week: Sergio Gonzalez
Sergio Gonzalez earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during this past weekend’s U-17/18 match between D.C. United and Baltimore Bays Chelsea – a significant local derby in the Atlantic Division. The 21-year-old Grade 6 referee from Maryland has worked in seven Academy matches since March. Gonzalez attended the 2009 Spring Showcase in Sarasota, Fla., and was a linesman in the W-League.
OTHER ACADEMY NEWS AND NOTES:
Villarreal Scores Twice for U-20 MNT: Pateadores product and LA Galaxy forward Jose Villarreal scored two goals in a nine-minute span during the U.S. U-20 Men’s National Team’s 2-0 victory against Scotland last Friday in an international friendly in Marbella, Spain. Also at the 2012 Marbella Cup, the U.S. held off Azerbaijan for a 3-2 win on Thursday and fell 2-1 to Canada on Oct. 10.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Academy Recap: Real Salt Lake AZ Enjoys Successful California Trip – Top Drawer Soccer
- Academy Players Win Reserve League West Title – Soccer America
- Chicago Fire Academy Teams Suffer First Losses of Season – chicago-fire.com
- D.C. United U-17/18s Post 3-0 Victory Against Baltimore Bays Chelsea – dcunited.com
- D.C. United U-15/16 team Shuts Out Baltimore Bays Chelsea 1-0 – dcunited.com
- LA Galaxy Academy Midfielder Drew Murphy Making His Mark – lagalaxy.com
- LA Galaxy Academy Players Looking to Grow Training with First Team – lagalaxy.com
- New England Revolution Academy Swept by Albertson SC – revolutionsoccer.net
- Portland Timbers Academy Teams to Face Real Salt Lake AZ – portlandtimbers.com
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program