Across the Academy - Dec. 13
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
Dec. 13, 2012
© U.S. Soccer
Ramos Names 24-Player Roster for U.S. U-20 MNT Camp: U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team head coach Tab Ramos has named a 24-player roster for a Dec. 15-22 camp in Sunrise, Fla. The roster features 19 players with Development Academy ties. The U.S. will play two closed-door matches – an intrasquad game on Tuesday, Dec. 18, followed by an international match against Venezuela on Friday, Dec. 21.
Academy Alumni Garner NCAA Title at Indiana: Indiana University earned its eighth NCAA crown Sunday with a 1-0 victory against Georgetown, and the Hoosiers starting lineup featured a whopping seven players with Development Academy ties. ussoccer.com caught up with the title game’s lone goal scorer Nikita Kotlov, a former Indiana United midfielder who had a stellar postseason that included a hat trick against Xavier to reach the Sweet 16.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Dallas Texans swept Lonestar SC Academy on Sunday with the U-15/16 team posting a 3-1 victory and the U-17/18 team rallying for a 2-1 win. For the older age group, Adrian Velasquez and Jack Blanton scored in the 43rd and 45th minutes, respectively, to improve to 7-2-3 atop the Frontier Division. Cooper Whitfield, Samuel Valadez and Luis Macias each scored a goal for the Dallas Texans U-15/16 team (8-4-0).
- The New York Red Bulls U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams both corralled 2-0 victories against FC Westchester on Sunday in Purchase, N.Y. Jon Estama and recent New York Red Bulls first-team signing Amando Moreno each scored a goal for the U-17/18 squad, while Harrison Steadman scored both goals for the U-15/16 team in the 66th and 67th minutes.
OTHER NEWS AND NOTES:
Selemani’s Hat Trick Leads U-17s Past Maccabi Haifa: Columbus Crew Soccer Academy Wolves product Ahinga Selemani scored all three goals as the U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team defeated a Maccabi Haifa youth team 3-2 on Tuesday at IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla. New York Red Bulls Academy product Evan Louro earned the win in goal and saved a penalty kick in the 78th minute to preserve the victory.
MLS Teams Signing Academy Products: Two New York Red Bulls Development Academy players have made the progression to the senior team level as Red Bulls Academy goalkeeper Santiago Castano and forward Amando Moreno signed with the first team on Tuesday. Along with their Academy backgrounds, Castano was part of the U.S. U-17 MNT Residency Program in 2010 and both players have earned call-ups to the U.S. U-18 MNT. … Oscar Sorto, who has Academy ties with the LA Galaxy and Pateadores, was signed as the LA Galaxy’s latest homegrown player earlier in the week. … On Thursday, the Columbus Crew signed Wil Trapp as the organization’s fourth homegrown signing.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Development Academy Preview: Last Games of 2012 – Top Drawer Soccer
- Development Academy Winter Showcase Standouts – Top Drawer Soccer
- Takeaways From 2012 Nike International Friendlies – Top Drawer Soccer
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: Clubs Discuss Importance of 10-Month Season
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program