Across the Academy - Jan. 17
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
Jan. 17, 2013
© U.S. Soccer
Williams Names 31 Players for U-17 MNT Spring Residency: U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team head coach Richie Williams invited 31 players to the 2013 Spring Semester of the U.S. U-17 Residency Program in Bradenton, Fla. The roster includes 24 players with ties to Development Academy clubs, and this group is looking to qualify for the 2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup in October and November at the United Arab Emirates. The U.S. first has its sights on the 2013 CONCACAF U-17 Championship from April 6-19 in Panama.
U-20 MNT Training in Mexico: U.S. U-20 MNT head coach Tab Ramos recently named a 20-player roster for a training camp in Puebla, Mexico. The camp, which kicked off Monday, includes closed-door matches on Jan. 19 and 21 against Panama as the USA prepares for the 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship from Feb. 18-March 3 in Puebla. Seventeen players on the current roster have ties to the Academy as former players while one – Oscar Sorto – is still registered with the LA Galaxy Academy team.
Academy Returns in Earnest this Weekend: The Development Academy season returns from its short hiatus with 22 games currently on the docket this weekend. There are three unbeaten among the two age groups. For the U-15/16s, D.C. United leads the Atlantic Division at 11-0-2 and Georgia United is second in the Southeast Division at 5-0-5. The New York Red Bulls U-17/18 team also is unbeaten at 10-0-3 in the Northeast Division.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Dakota Armour scored a game-winning goal in the final minute of regulation and the San Juan Soccer Club U-15/16 team rallied for a 3-2 victory against the Santa Cruz Breakers Academy last Saturday. San Juan trailed 1-0 at halftime, but Patrick Lee, Claudio Celis and Armour each provided a goal over the 40-minute second half for the team’s second victory of the season in the Northwest Division. At the U-17/18 age group, Santa Cruz and San Juan played to a scoreless draw.
With only two games this past weekend, no player or referee of the week were named.
OTHER NEWS AND NOTES:
Academy Alum Carlos Alvarez Picked No. 2 in MLS SuperDraft: Former Development Academy midfielder Carlos Alvarez (LAFC) of Connecticut was the No. 2 selection in Thursday’s 2013 MLS SuperDraft. Nine former Academy players were selected in the draft’s first round. For more, visit ussoccer.com’s The YNT Blog.
Ex-PDA Forward Finley Makes Professional Transition: Before Thursday’s MLS SuperDraft, former Development Academy player and Notre Dame senior forward Ryan Finley caught up with ussoccer.com about participating in the 2013 MLS Combine and a successful youth and collegiate career that capped off with a 2012 MAC Hermann Trophy runner-up showing.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Will Bruin Impressing Klinsmann in First U.S. Camp – mlssoccer.com
- Signings Carlos Alvarez, Dillon Powers Lead Way at MLS Combine – mlssoccer.com
- Family Drives Carlos Alvarez in Right Direction – Soccer America
- Eriq Zavaleta Could Follow Father, Uncle to Back Line – Soccer America
- Development Academy Preview: Texans, Dynamo Battle – Top Drawer Soccer
- Q & A with D.C. United’s Michael Seaton – dcunited.com
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program