Across the Academy - Feb. 14
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
Feb. 14, 2013
© U.S. Soccer
Ramos Names 20-Player Roster for 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship: U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team head coach Tab Ramos has called in 20 players for the CONCACAF U-20 Championship from Feb. 18 to March 3 in Mexico. The roster includes 15 former Development Academy players. The USA kicks off Group A play against Haiti on Feb. 18. The top four finishers of the tournament advance to the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey.
FOX Soccer to Broadcast U.S. U-20 MNT at 2013 CONCACAF Championship in Puebla, Mexico: FOX Soccer will broadcast all of the tournament matches at the 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship, which includes the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team. The U.S. U-20 MNT group matches against Haiti on Feb. 18 and Costa Rica on Feb. 22 will be televised on FOX Soccer, with both games kicking off at 5:30 p.m. CT. Follow the team at the YNT blog and on twitter @ussoccer_ynt.
U.S. Soccer, Nike Host Youth Futsal Invitational Events: With an emphasis on developing the U-13/14 age level, U.S. Soccer, in partnership with Nike, is hosting two youth futsal events from March 1-3 in King of Prussia, Pa., and a west coast event from April 19-24 at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.
Academy Players Announce College Choices on National Signing Day: Throughout the country, a number of Development Academy players announced their collegiate paths on Feb. 7, National Signing Day. More than 400 Academy players are bound to play college ball this fall. ussoccer.com breaks down the commitments by each Academy team.
- 2012-13 Academy Schedules | 2012-13 Academy Standings
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Real Salt Lake AZ U-15/16 remained at the top of the Southwest Division with a 4-0 win against Strikers FC U-15/16. Salt Lake scored three of their four goals in the second half and saw week four Player of the Week, Sebastian Saucedo score back-to-back goals in the 63rd and 66th minute.
- Houston Dynamo U-17/18 earned a 2-0 win against Dallas Texans U-17/18 as both teams are vying for position at the top of the Frontier Division. Jose Rodriguez and Irvin Ramirez both tallied second half goals to secure the win against their in-state rivals.
- In the highest scoring game in the country, Concorde Fire U-15/16 defeated South Carolina United Battery Academy U-15/16 by a final tally of 5-4. Concorde’s Christian Duncan and Deandre Robinson tallied two goals each, with Robinson notching the winner in the 77th minute.
Player of the Week: Denys Villatoro, M, Real So Cal
Kendall SC U-17/18 midfielder Denys Villatoro was named Development Academy Player of the Week as he helped Kendall SC to a 3-2 win against IMG Academy on Saturday, Feb. 9. He is the second Kendall SC player to earn player of the week honors in the past two weeks. Fellow midfielder Jorge Torres earned the honors in week 18.
Referee of the Week: Kyle Longville
Kyle Longville earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during last Saturday’s U-17/18 match between IMG Soccer Academy and Kendall SC. Longville is a Grade 5 referee from Florida and has worked nine Academy matches over the past two years. He's also involved with PDL, USL Pro and YNT matches.
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program