Across the Academy - April 18
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
April 18, 2013
© U.S. Soccer
U.S. Soccer, Nike Host Youth Futsal Invitational in L.A.: With an emphasis on developing the U-13/14 age level, U.S. Soccer, in partnership with Nike, is hosting a youth futsal event from April 20-24 at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. If you are interested in viewing photos from the event, please download Scout, U.S. Soccer’s digital publication. Development Academy Director of Scouting Tony Lepore spoke with ussoccer.com about the previous futsal event in Philadelphia and discusses this upcoming event in the Los Angeles area.
U-17 MNT GK Corps Raising Level of Training: North Carolina Fusion product Jeff Caldwell and New York Red Bulls Academy standout Evan Louro represent a strong foundation among the U.S. U-17 Residency Program’s goalkeeping corps. ussoccer.com caught up with the two goalkeepers and U-17 MNT goalkeeper coach Anthony Latronica during the 2013 CONCACAF U-17 Championship about their development.
- U-17 MNT Eliminated from Qualification for FIFA U-17 World Cup with 3-1 Loss to Honduras | U-17 MNT vs. Honduras: Reaction – April 14, 2013
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Real So Cal’s U-15/16 side earned its 12th shutout of the season and third straight clean sheet in a 4-0 victory against Pateadores on Saturday to currently hold a slim points per game lead over Chivas USA atop the Southwest Division. Real So Cal is allowing only one goal per game in 23 matches (16-4-3). Luis Carbajal handled the scoring load with three goals and Carlos Gonzalez chipped in with a goal.
- The Houston Dynamo’s Academy teams posted a sweep against Texans SC Houston on Sunday. The Dynamo’s U-17/18 squad earned a 1-0 victory with Jorge Contreras scoring the game’s only goal in the 86th minute to earn the three points. The Houston Dynamo U-15/16 squad garnered a 4-2 victory to improve to 16-3-3 in the midst of its 11-game unbeaten streak (9-0-2). For the U-15/16s, the Dynamo’s Christian Lucatero scored the game’s first two tallies, Giovanni Pacheco’s 45th-minute goal was the game-winner and Elochukwu Ozumba added an insurance goal in the 78th minute.
- Baltimore Bays Chelsea’s U-15/16 team moved ahead of D.C. United for first place in the Atlantic Division following a 1-0 victory against PA Classics last Saturday. Abdallah Bangura had the game’s only goal as Baltimore Bays Chelsea won its ninth straight game. Defensively, the team has not allowed a goal in five straight matches to improve to 14-3-2 on the season.
Player of the Week: Andrija Novakovich, F, Chicago Magic PSG
Andrija Novakovich scored six goals over a two-game stretch to lead Chicago Magic PSG to two victories this past weekend. He scored all four goals in the team’s 4-1 victory against Shattuck-Saint Mary’s, and then scored twice during the Magic’s 8-3 rout of the Minnesota Thunder Academy.
Referee of the Week: Keith Angel
Keith Angel earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during last week’s U-17/18 match between the Chicago Fire and Minnesota Thunder Academy. Angel is a 34-year-old Grade 5 referee from Illinois and has worked 27 Academy matches over the past two years. He attended the 2011 Winter Showcase and also works PDL matches.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Development Academy Preview: Playoff Hopes on Line – Top Drawer Soccer
- Colorado Rapids Newcomers Lead Rookie Class – Soccer America
- Colorado Rapids Join Forces with North Meck – coloradorapids.com
- Four LA Galaxy Academy Players on Reserve League Roster in Draw – lagalaxy.com
- Houston Dynamo U-15/16s Extend Unbeaten Streak to 11 Games – houstondynamo.com
- FC Dallas Academy Teams Shut Out Texas Rush – fcdallas.com
- Chicago Fire Academy Climbing Up the Tables – chicago-fire.com
- D.C. United U-17/18s Rout Potomac 4-1 – dcunited.com
- NYRB Academy Teams Go Unbeaten Over Weekend – newyorkredbulls.com
- Revolution Academy Splits with Revolution Empire – revolutionsoccer.net
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program