Across the Academy - April 25
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
April 25, 2013
© U.S. Soccer
U-20 MNT, U-14 BNT Convene at The Home Depot Center: U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team head coach Tab Ramos called in 24 players for an April 22-29 training camp at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. The team is getting ready for the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup from June 21-July 13 in Turkey. Of the 24 players, 20 have ties to the Development Academy (Q&A with Tab Ramos). The team is coming off a runner-up showing at the 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship in Mexico.
Along with this camp, the U-14 Boys’ National Team, coached by Hugo Perez, is currently training at The Home Depot Center through April 27. Of the 29 players, nine have Academy affiliations (Q&A with Hugo Perez).
U-15 BNT Headed to Italy Tournament: U.S. U-15 Boys’ National Team head coach Tony Lepore called 19 players for the Tournament Delle Nazioni, which runs from April 26-May 6 in Grandisca, Italy. Fifteen players currently are on Development Academy rosters (Q&A with Tony Lepore).
U-13/14 Futsal Invitational Wraps Up in L.A.: U.S. Soccer, in partnership with Nike, wrapped up its second youth futsal event that took place from April 20-24 at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. The U-13/14 Pateadores boys’ team and West Coast girls’ side won their respective crowns. U.S. Soccer continues to incorporate futsal into future programming, including the creation of a winter futsal season for all teams participating in the U-13/14 Development Academy program in 2013-14. (The YNT Blog)
- Academy Director of Scouting Tony Lepore Reflects on Philly Event – ussoccer.com
- Keith Tozer Q&A: Futsal Gets Boost From U.S. Soccer – Soccer America
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy on Facebook and Twitter
- 2012-13 Academy Schedules | 2012-13 Academy Standings
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Chivas USA’s U-15/16 team extended its unbeaten streak to nine games (8-0-1) with a 3-2 victory against Arsenal FC on Saturday. Chivas, which leads the Southwest Division at 17-3-5, overcame a 2-1 deficit in the second half as Ryo Fujii scored a 62nd-minute equalizer and Andrew Benitez notched the game-winner in the 77th minute. Both Arsenal goals came from Brayan Vargas.
- Indiana Fire Academy’s U-17/18 team rallied from a late two-goal deficit to defeat FC Milwaukee 3-2 on Sunday. The leader of the Mid-America Division trailed 2-0 with five minutes remaining in regulation. But Christian Soto scored goals in the 86th and 87th minutes to tie the score at 2-2, and Jalen Brown scored a 90th-minute game-winner to complete a thrilling comeback. Indiana Fire Academy improved to 15-4-4 on the season.
- Leandro Alves scored two goals, including what proved to be the game-winner, as the New England Revolution U-17/18 team topped the New York Red Bulls 4-2, handing the Red Bulls their first loss of the season on Sunday. Alves scored in the 10th and 77th minutes, Federico Ferre tallied a goal in the opening minutes and Dominik Machado added an 89th-minute insurance goal. The Revolution is second in the Northeast Division at 11-3-2 and the Red Bulls still maintain a comfortable first-place lead at 14-1-4.
Player of the Week: Gerson Umaña, F, D.C. United
Gerson Umaña scored three goals to lead the D.C. United U-15/16 team to a 5-3 victory against FC DELCO on Saturday. He scored in the 15th, 55th and 62nd minutes, and his second tally proved to be the game-winner. Umaña and D.C. United improved to 14-2-4 on the season, currently in third place in the Atlantic Division ahead of FC DELCO.
Referee of the Week: Levi Rippy
Levi Rippy earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during last Saturday’s U-17/18 match between the Seattle Sounders and De Anza Force. Rippy is a 32-year-old Grade 4 official from Washington and has worked 23 Academy matches over the past two years. Rippy attended the 2011 and 2012 Winter Showcases, the 2012 Academy Playoffs and was just invited for the 2013 Academy Playoffs. Rippy also works National Women’s Soccer League, MLS Reserve, PDL, W-League and U.S. Open Cup matches.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Chivas USA Academy Product Starts Career with Molde FK – Top Drawer Soccer
- Development Academy Recap: Undefeated No More – Top Drawer Soccer
- MLS Stars: When They Were Children (Darlington Nagbe, Juan Agudelo) – Soccer America
- Chicago Fire’s Victor Pineda Returns to U.S. U-20 Fold – chicago-fire.com
- Chicago Fire Academy Sides Go 1-0-1 at Chicago Magic – chicago-fire.com
- Chivas USA Academy Teams Move Up in Standings – cdchivasusa.com
- Colorado Rapids’ Shane O’Neill Says with Club During Injury Crisis – coloradorapids.com
- D.C. United Academy Teams Sweep Regional Rival FC DELCO – dcunited.com
- Houston Dynamo U-15/16s Keep Rolling with Win vs. Classics Elite – houstondynamo.com
- LA Galaxy Academy Update: Sueño MLS 2013 Arrives – lagalaxy.com
- New England Revolution U-17/18s Snap Red Bulls’ Unbeaten Streak – revolutionsoccer.net
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program