Across the Academy - May 16
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
May 16, 2013
© U.S. Soccer
U-18 MNT Opens Tournament in Lisbon: The U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team starts a 10-day trip to Portugal that features three matches in the 19th Annual International Juniors Tournament in Lisbon. Head coach Javier Perez’s 20-player roster features 17 players who are tied to the Development Academy. The U.S. faces the Czech Republic on Tuesday, May 21, followed by Portugal (May 23) and Hungary (May 25).
Academy Products Providing Impact in U.S. Open Cup: Several former U.S. Soccer Development Academy players contributed some important tallies during the first round of the 2013 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup to advance to the tournament’s second round on Tuesday, May 21. Goal scorers included Reading United AC’s Darius Madison (FC DELCO), Seattle Sounders U-23 player Darwin Jones (Seattle Sounders Academy) and Portland Timbers U-23 player Zack Foxhoven (Colorado Rush). For more, visit The YNT Blog.
Bruin Named MLS Player of Week: Houston Dynamo forward Will Bruin, formerly of St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri, was named MLS Player of the Week for Week 11 after posting two goals and two assists during a 4-0 road win against D.C. United. Dillon Powers (Andromeda FC) and Diego Fagundez (New England Revolution) each scored a goal for the Colorado Rapids and New England Revolution, respectively, this past week. For more, visit The YNT Blog.
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy on Facebook and Twitter
- 2012-13 Academy Schedules | 2012-13 Academy Standings
Marriott’s Academy ‘One-Stop-Shop’: As the official hotel sponsor of U.S. Soccer, Marriott is providing Development Academy teams with the opportunity to earn discounts on personal travel. You can benefit from this relationship by taking advantage of Marriott’s TeamTravel “one-stop-shop” website for groups less than 25 rooms per night:
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Chivas USA’s U-15/16 team won its Academy-best 19th game, blanking Real So Cal 1-0 on Saturday. Alejandro Vergara scored in the seventh minute and the defense held Real So Cal at bay the rest of the way. Chivas USA (19-3-5) has already won the Southwest Division with one game remaining, holding a 10-point lead over Real Salt Lake AZ (16-6-4).
- The Vardar SC Freiburg U-15/16s edged Crew Soccer Academy 2-1 on Saturday for an important victory as the team vies for a spot in the Academy Playoffs. Robert Cort and Nathan McLean each scored a goal, with McLean’s 66th-minute tally coming only three minutes after Crew Soccer Academy’s Silankonet Bayo tied the score in the 63rd minute. Vardar is currently third in the Mid-America Division, but the team sits idle for the next two weekends before capping off the regular season against division-leading Crew Soccer Academy Wolves (17-4-4) on June 1.
- In a matchup of two of the top three teams in the Atlantic Division and qualifiers for the Development Academy Playoffs at both age groups, D.C. United and Players Development Academy played to a weekend split. PDA’s U-15/16 team, which leads its division, posted a 2-0 shutout on first-half goals from Jared Stroud and Daniel Barbir to improve to 18-4-1. D.C. United’s U-17/18s (third place, 16-6-2) blanked PDA 1-0 with Michael Sauers scoring the lone goal in the 33rd minute. PDA is second at 17-3-3 and Baltimore Bays Chelsea holds the division lead at 18-3-2.
Player of the Week: McKinley Curran, F, PA Classics
McKinley Curran scored two goals to lead the PA Classics U-15/16 team to a 2-1 victory against NJSA 04 this past Saturday. Curran scored the game’s first two goals in the 7th and 53rd minutes in a battle between two teams still vying for a postseason spot in the 2013 Academy Playoffs. Curran leads PA Classics with 13 goals in 13 starts and 23 games overall.
Referee of the Week: Hernan Aguilar
Hernan Aguilar earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during last weekend’s U-17/18 match between Albertson SC and FC Westchester. The 34-year-old Grade 4 referee from eastern New York has worked 31 Development Academy matches over the past two years. He also attended the 2011 Academy Playoffs and Showcase. He most recently worked the sideline for a 2013 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup match.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Gatorade Announces Boys Soccer State Players of the Year – Top Drawer Soccer
- Academy Preview: Battle for Los Angeles – Top Drawer Soccer
- Standout Performance Highlights Diego Fagundez’s Growth – revolutionsoccer.net
- New England Revolution Academy Sweeps Field – revolutionsoccer.net
- FC Dallas Academy Teams Hosting Games at FC Dallas Stadium – fcdallas.com
- Houston Dynamo U-15/16s Regain Form, Defeat Colorado Rush – houstondynamo.com
- Bethesda-Olney Announces Academy Coaching Staff for 2013-14 – bethesdasoccer.org
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program