Across the Academy - May 23
Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
May 23, 2013
© U.S. Soccer
U-20 MNT Heads to Toulon: U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team head coach Tab Ramos named a 22-player roster for the 2013 Toulon Tournament. The roster features 18 players with ties to the Development Academy – 15 former Academy players and three current registered Academy players. The team opens the Under-21 event against host France on May 28 as the event marks the final in-game preparation process for the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey.
22 More Teams Qualify for Playoffs: The 2012-13 Development Academy Playoffs field nearly doubled over the past weekend as 22 teams – eight U-15/16 teams and 14 U-17/18 squads – solidified a postseason spot. The Academy Playoffs feature 32 teams in each age group (64 total), and currently 23 U-17/18 and 23 U-15/16 teams are in the playoffs. The Academy Playoffs will be held from June 24-28 at FC Dallas Park in Frisco, Texas. For more, visit The YNT Blog.
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy on Facebook and Twitter
- 2012-13 Academy Schedules | 2012-13 Academy Standings
Marriott’s Academy ‘One-Stop-Shop’: As the official hotel sponsor of U.S. Soccer, Marriott is providing Development Academy teams with the opportunity to earn discounts on personal travel. You can benefit from this relationship by taking advantage of Marriott’s TeamTravel “one-stop-shop” website for groups less than 25 rooms per night:
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- The San Jose Earthquakes U-17/18 team scored a season-high seven goals during their 7-1 victory against Crossfire Premier. Tren Biswell scored two goals in a four-minute span and five other players scored a goal as the Earthquakes moved into the wild card picture with a 15-11-1 record and one regular-season game remaining on June 1 against Cal Odyssey.
- Defending U-17/18 champion FC Dallas qualified for the Academy Playoffs this past weekend. Following a 1-1 draw against Real Colorado last Saturday, FC Dallas unleashed six goals for a 6-3 victory against the Colorado Rush on Sunday. Yannick Koffi scored three goals and Kellyn Acosta, in his final game before heading to the Toulon Tournament with the U.S. U-20 MNT, added a brace. Yomeri Reyes for good measure tallied the final goal in second-half stoppage time. With one game remaining, FC Dallas has clinched the Frontier Division with a 17-4-5 record and 56 points – four points ahead of Solar Chelsea SC.
- Both Albertson SC teams qualified for the Development Academy Playoffs this past weekend, sweeping BW Gottschee Academy with a pair of shutout wins. For the U-15/16s, Albertson’s Arthur Bosua, Conrad Nowowiejski and Oscar Berrios scored all three goals in the first half of its 3-0 victory and is third in the Northeast Division with 43 points (16-6-4). Nicholas Gaitan scored a third-minute tally as Albertson SC’s U-17/18s earned a 1-0 win against BW Gottschee to move to 14-1-8.
Player of the Week: Coy Craft, F, FC Dallas
Coy Craft scored two second-half goals to lead the FC Dallas U-15/16 team to a 3-0 win against the Colorado Rush in Central Conference play. Craft is second on the team with nine goals in helping FC Dallas win the Frontier Division with one regular-season game remaining. Craft was recently called into a U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team training camp in late March at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, Calif.
Referee of the Week: Jody Pinkerton
Jody Pinkerton captured Referee of the Week honors for his performance during last weekend’s U-17/18 game between FC Dallas and the Colorado Rush. Pinkerton is a 37-year-old Grade 4 referee from northern Texas and has worked 38 Academy matches over the past two years. Pinkerton attended the 2012 Winter Showcase and also handles duties at PDL, MLS Reserve and NASL matches.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Reyna Steps Down from Role as U.S. Soccer Youth Technical Director – ussoccer.com
- Academy Recap: Chivas on Top – Top Drawer Soccer
- Academy Preview for Memorial Day Weekend – Top Drawer Soccer
- Chivas USA U-17/18 Prepares for Academy Playoffs – cdchivasusa.com
- Colorado Rapids’ Serna, O’Neill Called up to U-20 MNT for Toulon – coloradorapids.com
- FC Dallas Academy Day Recap (video) – fcdallas.com
- FC Dallas Feature: London Woodberry – fcdallas.com
- In Depth: Will Bruin (video) – houstondynamo.com
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program