Across the Academy – Sept. 11, 2013
Across the Academy highlights the U.S. Soccer Development Academy and its clubs and players, as well as alumni and youth national team activity. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2013-14 season.
Sep. 11, 2013
© U.S. Soccer
Opportunity Knocks: New York Red Bulls’ Tyler Adams: In the first of a series of Opportunity Knocks features, ussoccer.com sat down with New York Red Bulls Academy defender Tyler Adams during the recent U.S. Under-14 Boys’ National Team camp at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, Calif. Adams discussed the benefits of the camp, the upcoming Academy season and how these outlets are helping him develop as a player and increase his work rate.
Q&A with Tony Lepore: ussoccer.com spoke with U.S. U-15 BNT head coach and Academy Director of Scouting Tony Lepore on his soccer background and how he has helped with the development of today’s top youth players.
ACADEMY SOCIAL CONNECTION:
- @bethesdascnews: EXCLUSIVE: Bethesda-Olney Academy 2013-14 season debuts strong with wins in all 5 age groups vs. FC DELCO on Sun. http://fb.me/1Hyou3jGB – Bethesda-Olney
- @SLSGusdaMO: Congratulations to Logan Panchot for joining the U-17 US Men’s National Team residency program! – St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri
- @westonfcussda: Congrats to the u14 boys on a big 7-0 win today against new academy club Tampa Bay, keep working hard boys! – Weston FC, on last Saturday’s U-13/14 Academy victory
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Sept. 7-8):
- West Conference: With the U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy teams kicking off their 2013-14 season this upcoming weekend, the West was highlighted by the Academy debut at the U-13/14 age level. One of the more exciting matches included Real So Cal’s U-13/14s rallying for a 2-1 victory against the Los Angeles Futbol Academy. After Bryan Perez gave Los Angeles a 1-0 lead in the 20th minute, Real So Cal’s Jason Manning scored the game’s next two goals – a 30th-minute equalizer and the game-winner in the 80th minute.
- Central Conference: In the Mid-America Division, Crew Soccer Academy Wolves started the season with victories at both the U-15/16 and U-17/18 levels with two shutout wins against Internationals. Kalenga Selemani scored two goals for the U-15/16 team’s 4-0 victory, and Dean Bloembergen and Blake Townes found the back of the net during the U-17/18 squad’s 2-0 win.
- East Conference: Development Academy newcomer Bethesda-Olney posted a perfect weekend in the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups in the Atlantic Division. Bethesda-Olney’s U-15/16s defeated Continental FC DELCO, with Eric Matzelevich scoring twice. At the older age group, Bethesda-Olney earned a 5-1 win against FC DELCO on Saturday as Jeremy Ebobisse Ebolo tallied two goals.
Stat of the Week: Six hat tricks were recorded during the first match day of the inaugural 2013-14 Academy U-13/14 season on Saturday, Sept. 7. Among this group, Juventus Sports Club’s Alexander Caceres had four goals en route to a win against San Mateo County Star, and the San Jose Earthquakes’ Amado Lozano and Arturo Wuest Jr. each scored three goals during their victory against the Ballistic United Soccer Club.
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
- Tony Lepore Q & A: Developing Youth Players
- Richie Williams Finalizes Roster for Fall Semester of U-17 Residency Program
- 2013-14 Academy U-17/18 Preview: NYRB Brings Another Wave of Talent
- 2013-14 Academy U-15/16 Preview: RSL AZ Benefits from Residency Setup
- 2013-14 Academy Preview: League Expands to U-13/14 Age Group for Seventh Season
- The YNT Blog
ACADEMY ALUMNI UPDATES:
- Through this past weekend, former Development Academy Player of the Year Soony Saad and Sporting Kansas City are in a three-way tie atop Major League Soccer’s Eastern Conference following a 3-0 victory against the Columbus Crew on Sunday. Saad, the 2007-08 U-15/16 Academy Player of the Year out of Vardar, scored his fourth goal of the season to give Sporting Kansas City a 2-0 lead. Sporting, the Montreal Impact and New York Red Bulls each have 45 points.
- Academy alumni Diego Fagundez and Kelyn Rowe each tallied a goal in the New England Revolution’s 4-2 loss to the Montreal Impact on Sunday. Fagundez, the Revolution’s first homegrown player, leads New England with 10 goals. Rowe notched his sixth goal of the season.
Quotable: “We like to do our talking on the field.” – Soony Saad, following 3-0 win against Columbus
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The second weekend of the 2013-14 Academy season features 115 games across the three age groups. Most matches take place on Sept. 14-15, but there are several pre-weekend fixtures as the San Juan Soccer Club’s U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams host the Vancouver Whitecaps on Thursday, Sept. 12, while Real Colorado’s U-15/16s and U-17/18s host a local derby against the Colorado Rush on Friday, Sept. 13.
- Development Academy Winter Showcase: Dec. 11-15 at Lakewood Ranch, Fla., for U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy teams. The U-15/16 matches take place on Dec. 12, 13 and 15, and the U-17/18 games are Dec. 11, 12 and 14.
- LA Galaxy’s Jack McBean Continues to Grow on and off Field
- New England Revolution U-16s, U-18s Unbeaten in Season Openers Against BW Gottschee
- New York Red Bulls Academy Back in Action for Fall Season
- D.C. United Academy Teams Open Season Against Baltimore Bays Chelsea
- Top Drawer Soccer: U-14s kick off Academy Season