Across the Academy – Oct. 23, 2013
Across the Academy highlights the U.S. Soccer Development Academy and its clubs and players, as well as alumni and youth national team activity. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2013-14 season.
Oct. 23, 2013
© U.S. Soccer
#OpportunityKnocks: Chicago Magic PSG’s Maduabuchi Obinwa: Chicago Magic PSG defensive midfielder Maduabuchi Obinwa chatted with ussoccer.com for the Opportunity Knocks series during a recent U.S. U-18 Men’s National Team camp. Obinwa, a native of Orlando, Fla., playing in his second Academy season, discusses how the Academy environment has shaped his technical abilities more quickly than he anticipated.
Academy Holding Three U-13/14 Fall Events: Starting this Oct. 26-27 weekend, the Development Academy is a holding the first of three fall events for the U-13/14 age division. This will provide an opportunity for teams to compete against unique opponents while they are evaluated by U.S. Soccer Technical Advisors and the Scouting network. The events include Oct. 26-27 in Indiana and two events over the Nov. 16-17 weekend in California and North Carolina.
ACADEMY SOCIAL CONNECTION:
- @LonestarSC: “If you have to yell at them from the sidelines, you haven’t coached them … coaching is about effect.” (Anson Dorrance) – Lonestar SC
- @SoundersAcademy: Did I mention it was foggy? #fog pic.twitter.com/4t0Ht48RZT – Seattle Sounders FC
- @SportingKC_SCN: Bob Gansler, one of our #SportingLegends, led the@SKCAcademy U-14s during an SCN Coaching Ed pic.twitter.com/SDoYomhTJK – Sporting Kansas City
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Oct. 19-20):
- West Conference: In the Northwest Division, Seattle Sounders FC swept Saturday’s set against Vancouver Whitecaps FC. The Sounders U-15/16s (4-2-2) moved ahead of Vancouver into third place with a 3-0 victory, thanks to a Ryan Schaefer brace and Kasey French’s first-half tally. The Sounders U-17/18 team held off Vancouver for a 2-1 victory on goals from Duncan McCormick and Kenneth Sweet. Vancouver’s Mitch Piraux cut the deficit to one in the 89th minute, but Seattle maintained its lead to improve to 4-1-3 this season.
- Central Conference: In a Dallas derby, the FC Dallas U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams both improved to 3-0-0 with a sweep of Frontier Division rival Dallas Texans on Sunday. Patrick Khouri and Yannick Koffi each scored second-half goals as the FC Dallas U-17/18 team earned a 2-0 victory. At the U-15/16s, Nicholas Hamalainen, Emanuel Perez and Ryan Barlow each tallied a goal to lead FC Dallas to a 3-1 victory.
- East Conference: The D.C. United U-15/16 team extended its unbeaten streak to five games with a 1-0 victory against Players Development Academy in Atlantic Division play on Sunday. Owen Marshall scored the game’s only goal in the 45th minute as D.C. United (2-1-3) handed PDA (6-1-0) its first loss of the season. PDA entered the match averaging three goals per game, led by the league’s top goal scorer Cameron Harr (11 goals).
Stat of the Week: Four Aacademy players have scored 11 goals this season. PDA’s Cameron Harr and Chicago Magic PSG’s Kendall Stork lead the U-15/16 age group. At the U-13/14 level, Orlando City’s Jonathan Brasiliano and the San Jose Earthquakes’ Kaya Fabbretti have 11 apiece.
Academy Referee of the Week: Ethan Buege, a 24-year-old Grade 5 referee from Illinois, was named Academy Referee of the Week for his work during a U-17/18 match between Chicago Magic PSG and FC Wisconsin Nationals over the Oct. 12-13 weekend. Buege has been working Academy and PDL games since 2010 and started officiating MLS Reserve League games in 2012.
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Q&A with U-18 MNT Head Coach Javier Perez: Following the second-place success at the Limoges Tournament in France, U.S. U-18 Men’s National Team head coach Javier Perez talked about the importance of this event as players continue their development and work toward the next cycle for the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup. Tournament highlights: U-18 MNT vs. FRA – Oct. 9 | U-18 MNT vs. CZE – Oct. 11 | U-18 MNT vs. POL – Oct. 13
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Chicago Magic PSG’s Maduabuchi Obinwa
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: De Anza Force’s David Chavez
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Lucas Del Rosario
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: San Jose Earthquakes’ Edwin Lara
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: D.C. United’s Jose Carranza
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Georgia United’s Juan Pablo Torres
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: New York Red Bulls’ Tyler Adams
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: Dallas Texans Academy Alum Conor Doyle of D.C. United
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q & A: Developing Youth Players
- Release: Academy Holding Three U-13/14 Fall Events
- The YNT Blog
Quotable: “This year, I’ve kind of settled down a little bit, got my confidence, starting to play my game a little more. Moving to the middle really helped. I’m more comfortable. I have more space around me. A lot of the guys also – when guys are scoring like Diego [Fagundez] and Juan [Agudelo], they make guys like Lee [Nguyen] and myself look really good when we play them the ball and they do something amazing with it.” – New England Revolution’s Kelyn Rowe on his sophomore MLS season, as told to ExtraTime Radio
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The eighth weekend of the 2013-14 Academy season features 119 games across the three age groups.
- Development Academy Winter Showcase: Dec. 11-15 at Lakewood Ranch, Fla., for U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy teams. The U-15/16 matches take place on Dec. 12, 13 and 15, and the U-17/18 games are Dec. 11, 12 and 14.
- Chicago Fire: Collin Fernandez Shines Playing up with Fire U-17/18s
- Chivas USA: Academy Records Two Draws, Loss in First Youth SuperClasico of Season
- Colorado Rapids: Dillon Powers Named Team MVP; Shane O’Neill Earns Young Player of Year
- Columbus Crew: Wil Trapp Earns Team Breakout Performance of Year
- D.C. United: Academy Teams Go 2-1-0
- New England Revolution: Youth Update
- New England Revolution: Diego Fagundez Named Team MVP
- MLS ExtraTime Radio: Kelyn Rowe
- Top Drawer Soccer: U-18 MNT Impressive in France
- Top Drawer Soccer: Academy Recap
- studentsports.com: U-17/18 Recap: SSM Tops Chicago Fire, Chicago Magic PSG
- studentsports.com: U-15/16 Recap: LA Galaxy, San Diego Surf Win Big
- studentsports.com: U-13/14 Recap