Across the Academy – Nov. 27, 2013
Across the Academy highlights the U.S. Soccer Development Academy and its clubs and players, as well as alumni and youth national team activity. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2013-14 season.
Nov. 27, 2013
© U.S. Soccer
Trapp Named U.S. Young Male Athlete of Year: Former Columbus Crew Academy midfielder Wil Trapp was voted the 2013 U.S. Soccer Young Male Athlete of the Year on Wednesday. Trapp played an integral role for the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team at the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey and captained the team during its 1-1 draw against eventual tournament winner France on June 24. The Gahanna, Ohio, native completed his first MLS season with the Columbus Crew, earning 15 starts and recording an assist. “It’s definitely humbling,” Trapp said of the award. “It’s hard to put into words right now. It’s an honor to be recognized and seen by your peers and the country as a whole.” (Young Male Athlete of the Year Q&A: Wil Trapp)
#OpportunityKnocks: IMG Academy’s Shaquell Moore: IMG Academy defender and midfielder Shaquell Moore sat down with ussoccer.com for its Opportunity Knocks series while he represented the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team in Italy. After a successful tenure with the U.S. U-17 MNT’s Residency Program, Moore talks about his first involvement with the Development Academy and his aspirations to transition to a professional career.
ACADEMY SOCIAL CONNECTION:
- @ChicagoMagicPSG: Congrats to Coastal Carolina and Magic’s Colin Marz getting it done v Charlotte for 16. Well done to all! – Chicago Magic PSG
- @CrossfirePrmr: From @Krowe210: Great to see my old club Crossfire developing young kids like they always have. Happy I am still involved with this club. – Crossfire Premier
- @SKCAcademy: U16s & U18s celebrating after senior team’s 2-1 victory over Houston. pic.twitter.com/sBhSwTO83y – Sporting Kansas City
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Nov. 23-24):
- West Conference: In the only U-15/16 and U-17/18 games taking place among West Conference teams, the Southwest Division-leading Real Salt Lake AZ swept its set against Pateadores on Saturday. At the U-13/14 level, the Los Angeles Futbol Academy garnered one of the more exciting results from the weekend during its 2-1 win against Strikers FC. Trailing 1-0 in the second half, Daquan Dawkins and Alejandro Barrera each scored goals in the 67th and 69th minutes, respectively, to tally for the victory on Sunday.
- Central Conference: The Texas Rush swept its weekend set against Sporting Kansas City in Frontier Division action on Saturday. The U-15/16 Texas Rush squad won in dramatic fashion as Alberto Carmona-Garcia scored the game-winning goal in the 80th minute for a 1-0 victory. The U-17/18s overcame a 2-1 first-half deficit to post a 3-2 victory, with Denzel Ward’s 65th-minute goal serving as the winner for the Rush.
- East Conference: Concorde Fire’s U-17/18 team increased its winning streak to seven games with a pair of shutout victories. Concorde Fire’s Tyler Dowse scored the lone goal during a 1-0 victory against Chargers Soccer Club on Saturday. Dembakwi Yomba and Cooper Coughlin tallied first-half goals en route to a 2-0 win against IMG Academy on Sunday to improve to 10-2-0 in the Southeast Division, in second place behind the idle Capital Area RailHawks Academy. Concorde Fire’s defense has allowed only five goals in 12 games.
Academy Referee of the Week: Matt Printup, a 20-year-old Grade 7 referee from Minnesota, was honored as Academy Referee of the Week for his work during the U-17/18 match between Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy and the Minnesota Thunder Academy on Nov. 17. Printup has worked Academy matches for the past two years.
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
U-15 BNT Roster Named for Showcase: U.S. Under-15 Boys’ National Team head coach Hugo Perez named an 18-player roster that is competing in the 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase this December in Lakewood Ranch, Fla. The U-15 BNTs will face the New York Red Bulls, De Anza Force and Weston FC U-15/16 Academy clubs. Fifteen U-15 BNT players have Academy ties.
Academy Alumni Trio Records Brace in NCAA Tournament: Former Development Academy players Victor Chavez of UCLA, Alec Sundly of California and Harrison Shipp of Notre Dame each scored two goals as their respective teams advanced through the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday. The third round kicks off Sunday, Dec. 1.
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: IMG Academy’s Shaquell Moore
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: San Jose Earthquakes’ JT Marcinkowski
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Sporting Kansas City’s Erik Palmer-Brown
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Bethesda-Olney’s Chase Gasper
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Chicago Magic PSG’s Maduabuchi Obinwa
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: De Anza Force’s David Chavez
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Lucas Del Rosario
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: San Jose Earthquakes’ Edwin Lara
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: D.C. United’s Jose Carranza
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Georgia United’s Juan Pablo Torres
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: New York Red Bulls’ Tyler Adams
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Dallas Texans Academy Alum Conor Doyle of D.C. United
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q & A: Developing Youth Players
- Release: U.S. U-17 MNT to Face Brazil, England and Portugal at Nike Friendlies
- Release: Academy Holding Three U-13/14 Fall Events
- The YNT Blog
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The 13th weekend of the 2013-14 Academy season features 15 scheduled games across the three age groups.
- Development Academy Winter Showcase: Dec. 11-15 at Lakewood Ranch, Fla., for U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy teams. The U-15/16 matches take place on Dec. 12, 13 and 15, and the U-17/18 games are Dec. 11, 12 and 14.
ALSO IN THE NEWS:
- Richmond Kickers and Strikers to Merge: The Richmond Kickers and Richmond Strikers announced on Wednesday that they will merge into Richmond United. The joint club is slated to begin play in the fall of 2014 to field U-13/14, U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy teams. (Richmond United Q&A)
- Colorado Rapids: Midfielder Dillon Powers Named 2013 MLS Rookie of the Year
- Columbus Crew: Former CASA Academy GK Stuver Selected in Waiver Draft
- D.C. United: Q&A with Jose Carranza
- New England Revolution: Colorado Rush Product DelPiccolo Added Through Waiver Draft
- Portland Timbers: Darlington Nagbe Earns 2013 MLS Fair Play Award
- Major League Soccer: Rookie of the Year Dillon Powers (video)
- studentsports.com: U-17/18 Recap: Concorde’s on Fire
- studentsports.com: U-15/16 Recap: Red Bulls Stay Perfect
- studentsports.com: U-13/14 Recap