Across the Academy – Nov. 6, 2013
Across the Academy highlights the U.S. Soccer Development Academy and its clubs and players, as well as alumni and youth national team activity. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2013-14 season.
Nov. 6, 2013
© U.S. Soccer
#OpportunityKnocks: Sporting Kansas City’s Erik Palmer-Brown: Sporting Kansas City and U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team defender Erik Palmer-Brown sat down for ussoccer.com’s Opportunity Knocks series. He describes how his progression at Sporting Kansas City and international experience through the Youth National Team levels have helped improve his speed of play and ability to read the game. Palmer-Brown also talked about the chance to sign with his hometown Sporting Kansas City team just three months ago.
U-17 MNT to Face Brazil, England and Portugal at Nike Friendlies: The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team will face Brazil, England and Portugal at the 2013 Nike International Friendlies and Development Academy Winter Showcase, which takes place from Dec. 9-15 in Lakewood Ranch, Fla. All six Nike Friendlies will be streamed live on ussoccer.com. Along with the Nike Friendlies, the 79-team Development Academy field at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups will compete in three match days.
ACADEMY SOCIAL CONNECTION:
- @CARailHawksAcad: Great speed, intensity and competitiveness at all 3 Academy teams’ futsal sessions this morning instagram.com/p/gQuRmBmUaQ – Capital Area RailHawks Academy
- @JACKSONVILLE_FC: So the Jaguars vs. Cowboys play next year in London. Let’s have Fulham vs. Man U here in Jax for a home game? #NFL #BPL #InKhanWeTrust – Jacksonville FC
- @LAGalaxyAcademy: U-18s sitting on field watching the @LAGalaxy beat RSL 1-0 in their playoff match #nextgeneration pic.twitter.com/BiGlKm7N87 – LA Galaxy
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Nov. 2-3):
- West Conference: The San Jose Earthquakes U-15/16 team’s slow start to the season appears to be a thing of the past as the squad posted its fourth straight victory, shutting out De Anza Force 2-0 on Sunday. Philip Hausen scored both goals – at the 45th and 60th minutes – and San Jose sits in second place in the Northwest Division at 5-2-0, trailing only Crossfire Premier (6-1-2).
- Central Conference: Sockers FC posted a weekend sweep against second-place Chicago Magic PSG in Central Conference play on Sunday. At the U-17/18s, Matthew Swift and Christopher Mueller scored goals in the 21st and 52nd minutes, respectively during Sockers FC’s 2-1 victory. Sockers FC’s U-15/16s defeated Chicago Magic PSG in the closing minutes, thanks to a Ryan Sierakowski tally in the 77th minute for a 1-0 win.
- East Conference: Chaz Burnett of the Players Development Academy U-15/16 team scored a last-minute, game-winning goal to lift PDA to a 3-2 victory against the Philadelphia Union on Saturday in the East Conference local derby. PDA’s Derrick Lyons scored his team’s other two goals. Though Cameron Harr did not factor into the scoring column, he still leads all U-15/16 players with 14 goals this season.
Stat of the Week: Just two teams are maintaining a perfect record for the 2013-14 season – the New York Red Bulls U-15/16 squad at 5-0-0 and Real Salt Lake AZ’s U-17/18s at 4-0-0. The Red Bulls also have not allowed a goal in its past four matches, carrying a 434-minute shutout streak into this Saturday’s game against Northeast Division rival Albertson SC.
- Player of the Week: Real Colorado’s Graham Smith was named Academy Player of the Week after scoring three goals during the Oct. 26-27 weekend. He had two tallies in Real Colorado’s 3-3 draw on Oct. 26 against an FC Dallas side that opened the season with three straight victories. Smith then scored a late equalizer to help his side earn a 1-1 draw against Solar Chelsea SC on Oct. 27.
- Referee of the Week: Scott Conner, a 40-year-old Grade 5 referee from Nevada, earned Academy Referee of the Week for his work during a U-17/18 match between Crossfire Premier and the Portland Timbers on Saturday, Oct. 26, in Redmond, Wash. This marked Conner’s first Academy match in the center. This year, Conner also has worked MLS preseason and Reserve League games, as well as PDL matches.
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Amirgy Pineda Shines at Nike Chance Showcase: U.S. U-18 Men’s National Team midfielder Amirgy Pineda recently competed in Nike’s The Chance Global Showcase from Nov. 1-4 at St. George’s Park, United Kingdom. Following the competition, Pineda was one of six players from the Showcase to be invited into the Nike Academy for a three-month trial.
U-15 BNT Earns Win and Draw Against Chivas USA Academy: The U.S. U-15 Boys’ National Team posted a victory and a draw against Chivas USA’s Academy on Wednesday, Oct. 30, at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center. Chivas USA split its U-15/16 team into two separate U-15 and U-16 sides.
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Sporting Kansas City’s Erik Palmer-Brown
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Bethesda-Olney’s Chase Gasper
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Chicago Magic PSG’s Maduabuchi Obinwa
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: De Anza Force’s David Chavez
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Lucas Del Rosario
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: San Jose Earthquakes’ Edwin Lara
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: D.C. United’s Jose Carranza
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Georgia United’s Juan Pablo Torres
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: New York Red Bulls’ Tyler Adams
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Dallas Texans Academy Alum Conor Doyle of D.C. United
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q & A: Developing Youth Players
- Release: Academy Holding Three U-13/14 Fall Events
- The YNT Blog
ACADEMY ALUMNI UPDATE:
- Nagbe, Rowe Score Winners in MLS Conference Semifinals: Former Academy midfielder Darlington Nagbe (Internationals SC) of the Portland Timbers and Crossfire Premier product Kelyn Rowe of the New England Revolution coincidentally both scored 67th-minute game-winning goals in their respective conference semifinals in the MLS Playoffs. Nagbe helped Portland take a 2-0 lead and eventually earn a 2-1 win on the road against Seattle Sounders FC in the Western Conference semifinals. Rowe did the same in New England’s 2-1 win against Sporting Kansas City in the Eastern Conference semifinals at Gillette Stadium. Also noteworthy was former St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri product Will Bruin, whose brace late last week lifted the Houston Dynamo past the Montreal Impact and into the Eastern Conference semifinals. (The YNT Blog)
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The 10th weekend of the 2013-14 Academy season features 126 games across the three age groups.
- Development Academy Winter Showcase: Dec. 11-15 at Lakewood Ranch, Fla., for U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy teams. The U-15/16 matches take place on Dec. 12, 13 and 15, and the U-17/18 games are Dec. 11, 12 and 14.
- D.C. United: Academy Teams go 3-0 Against Virginia Rush
- LA Galaxy: Q&A with Academy Defender Malcolm Jones
- New England Revolution: Boot Room Breakdown: Juan Agudelo (video)
- MLS ExtraTime Radio: Darlington Nagbe (audio)
- Top Drawer Soccer: Academy Recap
- Top Drawer Soccer: Split Results for U-15 BNT
- studentsports.com: U-17/18 Recap: Carolina Rapids Start to Rise
- studentsports.com: U-15/16 Recap: Southeast Heats Up
- studentsports.com: U-13/14 Recap