Across the Academy – Jan. 15, 2014
Across the Academy highlights the U.S. Soccer Development Academy and its clubs and players, as well as alumni and youth national team activity. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2013-14 season.
Jan. 15, 2014
© U.S. Soccer
Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Conor Donovan: Former U.S. U-17 Residency and current Capital Area RailHawks defender Conor Donovan sat down with ussoccer.com to discuss his involvement in the Development Academy to continue his growth as a player with everyday training, intense games and high-level competition. Donovan hopes to further his game with the U.S. U-20 MNT and the professional ranks.
Opportunity Knocks: NJSA 04’s Matias Fracchia: NJSA 04 defender Matias Fracchia, who has played for three years in the Academy and trained internationally with the YNT system, took some time to speak with ussoccer.com during a U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team camp in Verona, Italy. Fracchia reflected on how his game has improved in recent years, particularly playing from the back and his possession game.
ACADEMY SOCIAL CONNECTION:
- @ChiFireAcademy: Players from Real Madrid, FC Barcelona and @ChicagoFire 98 Academy hanging out in the lobby before dinner. pic.twitter.com/IYeF5dWIAM – Chicago Fire
- @ChivasUSAYouth: Academy coaches met up with Dutch National Team Coach @Frans_Hoek in coaching clinic. Check it out: bit.ly/19iZwgb – Chivas USA
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Jan. 11-12):
- West Conference: San Juan Soccer Club’s U-17/18 team of the Northwest Division extended its unbeaten streak to five games, rallying for a 1-1 draw against Chivas USA on Saturday in a crossover match against the Southwest Division side. After Chivas USA’s Jonathan Caparelli scored in the 57th minute, San Juan’s Mitchell McPartland equalized in the 70th minute with his first goal of the season. San Juan is 2-0-3 during its unbeaten run after opening the season with a 1-7-0 record.
- Central Conference: The Central Conference was idle over the weekend.
- East Conference: Weston FC’s U-15/16 squad earned back-to-back shutouts over the weekend against two teams currently in the top half of the Southeast Division standings. Weston played Concorde Fire to a scoreless draw on Saturday and then posted a 1-0 victory against Georgia United the next day. Weston FC (11-3-2), currently in second place in the Southeast Division, faces division leader Orlando City (13-3-0) for an anticipated Jan. 25 matchup.
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Caringi, Chavez Among Standouts at 2014 MLS Combine: More than 30 former Development Academy players spent the past week at the 2014 Major League Soccer Combine in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Former Real So Cal player Victor Chavez and Baltimore Bays SC alum Pete Caringi each scored two goals during their three matches. Marlon Hairston (IMG Academy), Kristopher Tyrpak (Lonestar SC) and Zach Bolden (Colorado Rapids) also found the back of the net. The Combine field now hopes that the play translates to a professional move as the 2014 MLS SuperDraft takes place at 12 p.m. ET on Thursday, Jan. 16 (ESPNews).
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Conor Donovan
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: NJSA 04’s Matias Fracchia
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q&A: Developing Youth Players
- 2013 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Tyler Adams | Jose Carranza | David Chavez |Lucas Del Rosario | Chase Gasper |Edwin Lara | JT Marcinkowski |Shaquell Moore | Maduabuchi Obinwa |Erik Palmer-Brown | Juan Pablo Torres
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The Jan. 18-19 weekend features 15 scheduled games at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups.
- Chicago Fire: Academy Participating in 2014 Al Kass International Cup in Qatar
- Chicago Fire: Chris Ritter Signed as Homegrown Player
- Columbus Crew: Homegrown Players Ross Friedman and Matt Walker Sign
- FC Dallas: Former Academy Coach of the Year Pareja Named FC Dallas Head Coach
- FC Dallas: Second Half of Academy Season Begins
- Sporting Kansas City: Erik Palmer-Brown Completes Camp with YNT
- mlssoccer.com: Inside the Numbers: Impact of 2013 Rookie Class in MLS
- Soccer America: Q&A with Tony Lepore: ‘Development Academy Boosts U.S. Talent’
- BlackandRedUnited.com: A Look at Richmond United
- USFDons.com: Former LA Galaxy Academy Coach Soto Named Head Coach at San Francisco