Across the Academy – Feb. 5, 2014
Across the Academy highlights the U.S. Soccer Development Academy and its clubs and players, as well as alumni and youth national team activity. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2013-14 season.
Feb. 5, 2014
© U.S. Soccer
Opportunity Knocks with Ben Swanson and Christian Herrera: ussoccer.com caught up with Crew Soccer Academy midfielder Ben Swanson and Real Salt Lake AZ goalkeeper Christian Herrera for U.S. Soccer’s Opportunity Knocks series. Spencer talked about the rewarding experience of Academy play and training with the Columbus Crew Reserves, and Herrera discussed his club’s residency setup and the professional accommodation at his disposal to work into the Youth National Team picture.
National Signing Day: Development Academy clubs from across the country were announcing their college commitments throughout Wednesday’s National Signing Day. ussoccer.com will have a full breakdown and is recognizing the Academy field through social media. Keep the Academy and U.S. Soccer informed of your Academy club’s commitments @ussoccer_ynt.
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Feb. 1-2):
- West Conference: Real So Cal and the San Diego Surf split their set last Saturday. Real So Cal’s U-17/18s earned a 4-2 victory, with Martin Arrieta scoring two goals. For the U-15/16 matchup, the San Diego Surf posted a 3-0 shutout win, with a well-rounded contribution from Vardhin Manoj, Jose Palacio and Kasdan Bakos each tallying a goal.
- Central Conference: Texans SC Houston and the Dallas Texans also earned a weekend split in their head-to-head matchup last weekend. Texans SC Houston’s U-15/16 team overcame a 3-2 second-half deficit and Edgar Alaniz Jr. scored the game-winner in the 78th minute for a 4-3 victory. In the U-17/18 matchup, the Dallas Texans scored two goals in a five-minute span in the second half and held off Texans SC Houston for a 3-2 win. Jason Machado’s 70th-minute goal was the game-winner, scoring shortly after Adrian Velasquez’s tally in the 65th minute.
- East Conference: The Capital Area RailHawks Academy (CASL) U-15/16 team shut out Southeast Division leader Weston FC 1-0 on Sunday. Alexander Rose tallied the game’s only goal in the 25th minute as CASL moved to 6-10-1 (1.12 points per game). Weston is still in first place at 13-4-2 (2.16 points per game). At the U-17/18 age group, second-place CASL (12-1-4, 2.35 points per game) and sixth-place Weston (8-10-2, 1.30 points per game) played to a scoreless draw, marking CASL’s third 0-0 tie of the season.
- U-13/14 Futsal: The Development Academy wrapped up its first futsal event at the U-13/14 age group this past weekend. At NorCal Courts in Martinez, Calif., Marin FC’s Group 1 White squad went 3-0-0 in its matches and outscored its opponents by a 21-goal margin. Santa Cruz Breakers Academy and San Juan Soccer Club also won all three of their matches in Group 2 and Group 3 White, respectively. Group 2 Red’s Diablo FC posted a 3-0-0 record. De Anza Force went 2-1-0 in Group 1 Red and Marin FC’s other split-squad team went 2-1-0 in Group 3 Red.
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
U-18 MNT Falls to Spain, Argentina U-20s at Copa del Atlantico: The U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team has posted two hard-nosed performances at the Copa del Atlantico in Spain, but came up a bit short on both occasions. The U-18 MNT surrendered a late goal to Spain’s U-18s and fell 1-0 in its opening match on Tuesday. The USA then had the daunting task Wednesday of facing Argentina’s U-20 MNT and managed a 1-0 loss against the older squad. The U.S. wraps up the trip with a game against the Canary Islands on Friday. Heading into the tournament, U-18 MNT head coach Javier Perez sat down with ussoccer.com to preview the tournament.
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Crew Soccer Academy’s Ben Swanson
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Real Salt Lake AZ’s Christian Herrera
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Real So Cal’s Justin Vom Steeg
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Conor Donovan
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: NJSA 04’s Matias Fracchia
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q&A: Developing Youth Players
- 2013 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Tyler Adams | Jose Carranza | David Chavez | Lucas Del Rosario | Chase Gasper | Edwin Lara | JT Marcinkowski | Shaquell Moore | Maduabuchi Obinwa | Erik Palmer-Brown | Juan Pablo Torres
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The 2014 portion of the schedule picks up this Feb. 8-9 weekend with 52 scheduled games at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups.
- U-13/14 Academy Futsal: The regional futsal action over the Feb. 8-9 weekend features three events: Chicago Futsal Academy in Melrose Park, Ill.; LA Galaxy Soccer Center in Torrance, Calif.; and Carolina Courts in Concord, N.C.
- Chicago Fire: Homegrown Victor Pineda Sees ‘New Opportunity’ Under Frank Yallop
- Chivas USA: Slepukhim a Bright Spot in Copa Chivas
- Chivas USA: Calvert Lives Dream Match Against Liverpool FC
- Colorado Rapids: Hairston Learning Fast about Life in MLS
- Colorado Rapids: Serna Senses New Opportunity in 2014
- Columbus Crew: Know Your Roommate: Wil Trapp and Ross Friedman
- LA Galaxy: Kyle Venter from Preseason Training (video)