Gold Cup Starting XI
Eleven Notes on How the U.S. has Fared in its First Group Games in Gold Cup History
July 9, 2013
With the U.S. set to embark on its 12th Gold Cup appearance, we take a quick look back at the numbers from opening day in previous tournaments.
- The combined record is a perfect 11-0-0.
- In seven of the 11 tournaments, the United States has opened with a shutout.
- Number of goals scored in group openers:
- One goal (2)
- Two goals (4)
- Three goals (3)
- Four goals (2)
- Eric Wynalda (1996) and Landon Donovan (2005) are the only players to score multiple goals in a group opener.
- Wynalda scored in four straight openers (1993, 1996, 1998, 2000).
- Clint Dempsey has scored in three (2005, 2007, 2011).
- Donovan and DaMarcus Beasley scored in the same two openers ( 2002 , 2005 ), the first when they were each 19 years old.
- Beasley (2002) and Stuart Holden (2009) each scored their first international goal in a group opener. For Holden, it was also his first cap.
- Marcelo Balboa scored an amazing bicycle kick to give the U.S. a 2-1 win its inaugural group game against Trinidad & Tobago in 1991.
- The U.S. has surrendered the first goal four times (1993, 1996, 2002, 2005).
- Cuba (1998 and 2005) and Trinidad & Tobago (1991, 1996) are the only teams to open twice against the United States.