Hall of Fame - Class of 2006
Alexi Lalas, Carla Werden Overbeck, Al Trost and Philip Anschutz will be inducted into the U.S. National Soccer Hall of Fame on Aug. 28 in Oneonta, N.Y. So, what do you know about these players and builders of the game? You Don’t Know Jack (Marshall) tests your knowledge on the four before they speak at Induction Weekend.
Aug. 22, 2006
1. Alexi Lalas scored what is considered his most famous goal when he headed home a corner kick at the near post against this team on June 9, 1993, in Foxboro, Mass.
2. How many NCAA Division I championships did Al Trost win during his career at St. Louis University?
3. True or False: Carla Werden Overbeck was the only player to start every game of the 1991, 1995 and 1999 FIFA Women’s World Cup, as well as every game at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.
4. Lalas was the first born-and-bred American to play in the Italian Serie A. What team did he play for?
5. What are the four MLS teams that Anschutz Entertainment Group is the investor-operator for?
Hall of Fame Bonus Question: Alexi Lalas and Al Trost both won the Hermann Trophy as the most outstanding collegiate soccer player in the country, but one of the two was honored with the award twice. Who won it two times?
1. England. The U.S. won 2-0.
2. c. 2
5. Chicago Fire, D.C. United, Houston Dynamo and Los Angeles Galaxy.
Hall of Fame Bonus Question: Al Trost won the award in 1969 and 1970 (Lalas won it in 1991).