Nine Matches Mark Busy Week in USSF D-2 Pro League Action
Week 15 Recap and Week 16 Preview of the 2010 USSF D-2 Pro League
Week 15 Recap
Week 15 began with four games on Sunday, July 14. The Rochester Rhinos extended their unbeaten streak with a 0-0 draw on the road against Crystal Palace Baltimore, while NSC Minnesota Stars and AC St. Louis also split points by virtue of their 2-2 tie, with Minnesota dramatically scoring in the 87th and 91st minutes to steal a point. The Montreal Impact handed the Carolina RailHawks their first road loss of the season with a 1-0 win earned by Peter Byers' goal in the 73rd minute. Blake Wagner scored a hat trick for Vancouver, enabling his Whitecaps FC to defeat Miami FC 3-1 in the last match of the day in Burnaby, British Columbia. The Tampa Bay Rowdies drew the Puerto Rico Islanders 0-0 at home in the Thursday nightcap. AC St. Louis goalkeeper Alec Dufty stopped his second penalty kick of the week on July 14, denying Austin striker Eddie Johnson in the 10th minute to keep his team in the match, though the Aztex would eventually run out 2-0 winners and extend their own unbeaten streak to five games. Puerto Rico’s Florida tour kept rolling as they drew Miami FC 1-1, but the Islanders will rue the chance for a full three points after Miami scored the equalizer in stoppage time. In a battle of both conference’s second-place teams, Carolina defeated Rochester 1-0 in the last match on Saturday to stay within shouting distance of conference leaders Vancouver. Home team Montreal excited their fans with a goal in the third minute of their Sunday match against Crystal Palace Baltimore, but two goals by the visitors saw the Maryland side earn their fourth road win of the year, 2-1.
Week 15 Results
|July 14||Crystal Palace Baltimore 0, Rochester Rhinos 0||Maryland SoccerPlex; Boyds, Md.|
|July 14||NSC Minnesota Stars 2, AC St. Louis 2||National Sports Center; Blaine, Minn.|
|July 14||Montreal Impact 1, Carolina RailHawks 0||Stade Saputo; Montreal, Quebec|
|July 14||Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3, Miami FC 1||Swangard Stadium; Burnaby, British Columbia|
|July 15||Tampa Bay Rowdies 0, Puerto Rico Islanders 0||George M. Steinbrenner Field; Tampa, Fla.|
|July 17||Rochester Rhinos 0, Carolina RailHawks 1||Marina Auto Stadium; Rochester, N.Y.|
|July 17||Austin Aztex 2, AC St. Louis 0||House Park; Austin, Texas|
|July 17||Miami FC 1, Puerto Rico Islanders 1||Lockhart Stadium; Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.|
|July 18||Montreal Impact 1, Crystal Palace Baltimore 2||Stade Saputo; Montreal, Quebec|
Week 15 Quick Hits
- Austin became the first team to 10 wins this season after defeating St. Louis on Saturday. They also became the first team to score 30 goals, while there has yet to be another team to score 20.
- Rochester had their eight game unbeaten streak ended by Carolina in their 1-0 loss at home. Both teams have been tough to beat on the road this year with a combined 8-2-7 record in away games.
- Visiting teams are finding it difficult to score in the Pacific Northwest as Vancouver and Portland have given up just seven goals at home in a combined 22 games.
Week 16 Preview
Week 16 will kick off with four midweek matches, with the first pair on Wednesday, July 21. The NSC Minnesota Stars will play host to Puerto Rico at 8 p.m. ET in Blaine, Minn., while the second Wednesday evening match will feature St. Louis visiting Stade Saputo to take on the Montreal Impact at 7:30 p.m. ET. The two Thursday matches will kick off with the Rochester Rhinos at the Tampa Bay Rowdies at 7:30 p.m. ET, followed by Vancouver Whitecaps FC playing host to rival Portland Timbers 10:30 p.m. ET in Burnaby, British Columbia. The weekend opens with a Saturday afternoon match between Crystal Palace Baltimore and AC St. Louis at 3 p.m. ET at the Marlyand SoccerPlex. That evening will feature the Puerto Rico Islanders and Rochester Rhinos facing off at 8:05 p.m. ET in Bayamon, Puerto Rico. The first of two Sunday matches will see Miami FC at the Tampa Bay Rowdies at 4 p.m. ET at George M. Steinbrenner Field, while the final match of Week 16 will be Vancouver Whitecaps FC playing host to the NSC Minnesota Stars at 10 p.m. ET in Burnaby, British Columbia.
Week 16 Schedule
|July 21||NSC Minnesota Stars vs. Puerto Rico Islanders||8 p.m.||National Sports Center; Blaine, Minn.|
|July 21||Montreal Impact vs. AC St. Louis||7:30 p.m.||Stade Saputo; Montreal, Quebec|
|July 22||Tampa Bay Rowdies vs. Rochester Rhinos||7:30 p.m.||George M. Steinbrenner Field; Tampa, Fla.|
|July 22||Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. Portland Timbers||10:30 p.m.||Swangard Stadium; Burnaby, British Columbia|
|July 24||Crystal Palace Baltimore vs. AC St. Louis||3 p.m.||Maryland SoccerPlex; Boyds, Md.|
|July 24||Puerto Rico Islanders vs. Rochester Rhinos||7 p.m.||Estadio Juan Ramon Loubriel; Bayamon, Puerto Rico|
|July 25||Tampa Bay Rowdies vs. Miami FC||4 p.m.||George M. Steinbrenner Field; Tampa, Fla.|
|July 25||Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. NSC Minnesota Stars||10 p.m.||Swangard Stadium; Burnaby, British Columbia|
Week 16 Notes
- Rochester begins a southeastern tour as they are on the road to Tampa, Puerto Rico and Carolina in a three=-game road trip beginning July 22.
- Vancouver will close out a four game home stand this week when they play host to Portland and Minnesota. This will be the first visit to Swangard Stadium for Portland, while Minnesota will be looking to reverse their 2-0 loss in their opening game of the season on their first trip to the stadium on April 11.
- Carolina and Austin will be idle in Week 16.
- Full Schedule and League Standings
- Individual Player Stats Leaders
- Goalkeeping Stats Leaders
- Team Stats