U.S. U-18 MNT Head Coach Javier Perez Names 18-Player Roster for 2013 Northern Ireland Milk Cup
USA Kicks off Three-Game Tournament on July 29 Against Mexico
CHICAGO (July 22, 2013) – U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team head coach Javier Perez has named an 18-player roster that is headed to Belfast, Northern Ireland, to compete in the 2013 Milk Cup.
The 31st edition of the Northern Ireland Milk Cup runs from July 29-Aug. 2 and features three games. The USA plays Mexico on July 29, host Northern Ireland on July 31 and Denmark on Aug. 2. The U.S. is a two-time Milk Cup winner (2005 and 2010) and was the runner-up to Paraguay in 2006.
Five players on the U-18 MNT roster have ties to the New York Red Bulls Development Academy, including three players who recently won a national championship at the 2012-13 Academy Finals Week in Houston: Santiago Castaño, Christopher Lema and Alex Muyl. All three players started in the championship to lead the Red Bulls to a 2-1 overtime victory against Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy on July 20 at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston. Lema and Muyl were also members of the club’s U-15/16 Academy championship squad.
Twelve players on the U-18 roster were born in 1995 and six were born in 1996. Five of the ’96s were members of the U.S. U-17 MNT at the 2013 CONCACAF U-17 Championship in Panama: Lema, Shaquell Moore, John Requejo Jr., Rubio Rubin and Ahinga Selemani.
Midfielder Brian Iloski participated in the Global Finals of Nike’s “The Chance” competition in Barcelona in August of 2012. Iloski, playing for the Academy’s San Diego Surf at the time, was named to the competition’s final 16-player team.
The U-18 roster features 16 players with ties to the Development Academy.Roster by Position:
GOALKEEPERS (2): Santiago Castaño (New York Red Bulls; Union City, N.J.), Ethan Horvath (Molde FK; Highlands Ranch, Colo.)
DEFENDERS (6): Jordan Allen (Empire Revolution; Rochester, N.Y.), Michael Amick (De Anza Force; Sunnyvale, Calif.), Trevor Haberkorn (Furman; Roanoke, Texas), Matthew Miazga (New York Red Bulls; Clifton, N.J.), Shaquell Moore (Unattached; Powder Springs, Ga.), John Requejo Jr. (Real So Cal; Carpinteria, Calif.)
MIDFIELDERS (3): Brian Iloski (LA Galaxy; Escondido, Calif.), Jacori Hayes (Wake Forest; Bowie, Md.), Christopher Lema (New York Red Bulls; Ridgefield, N.J.)
FORWARDS (7): Lynden Gooch (Sunderland; Santa Cruz, Calif.), Piakai Henkel (Unattached; Arcata, Calif.), Alex Muyl (New York Red Bulls; New York, N.Y.), Amando Moreno (New York Red Bulls; Morganville, N.J.), Andrija Novakovich (Chicago Magic PSG; Muskego, Wis.), Rubio Rubin (Unattached; Beaverton, Ore.), Ahinga Selemani (CSA Wolves; Ann Arbor, Mich.)
- The U-18 MNT roster includes five players who were named to Development Academy U-17/18 Conference Starting XI teams for the 2012-13 season.
- New York Red Bulls Academy player Alex Muyl, Red Bulls homegrown signing Matthew Miazga and Baltimore Bays Chelsea product Jacori Hayes were on the U-17/18 East Conference Starting XI.
- Solar Chelsea SC product Trevor Haberkorn was on the Central Conference Starting XI.
- De Anza Force Academy defender Michael Amick was named to the West Conference Starting XI.
- The New York Red Bulls signed Santiago Castaño and Amando Moreno to homegrown professional contracts in December of 2012, and Miazga was signed to a homegrown contract in May.