Three Midweek Games Mark USSF D-2 Pro League Action in Week 7
Week 7 Recap and Week 8 Preview of the 2010 USSF D-2 Pro League
May 24, 2010
© U.S. Soccer
Week 7 Recap
Week 7 of the USSF D-2 Pro League began with three important midweek matches on Wednesday, May 19, as conference rivals Austin Aztex and Tampa Bay Rowdies battled to a pulsing 3-3 draw at House Park in Austin, Texas, which moved both teams above the Portland Timbers in the USL Conference standings. Crystal Palace Baltimore continued their impressive road form as they downed the Rochester Rhinos 1-0 in Rochester, while the Montreal Impact picked up a key away victory against cross-conference opponents, the Portland Timbers, at PGE Park. Saturday, May 22 saw Vancouver Whitecaps FC return to winning ways when they beat the Rochester Rhinos 2-0 at home in Swangard Stadium. Resurgent Crystal Palace Baltimore turned a double on the Portland Timbers by earning a 2-1 win at home over the Oregon club to jump up the NASL Conference table to third place. The Tampa Bay Rowdies took the opportunity presented by the Portland loss to jump over them in the USL Conference standings after a 3-0 victory against AC St. Louis in St. Louis. Down at Lockhart Stadium in Ft. Lauderdale, Miami FC earned its first win of the season in a 1-0 contest against the NSC Minnesota Stars.
Week 7 Results
|May 19||Portland Timbers 0, Montreal Impact 1||PGE Park; Portland, Ore.|
|May 19||Rochester Rhinos 0, Crystal Palace Baltimore 1||Marina Auto Stadium; Rochester, N.Y.|
|May 19||Austin Aztex 3, Tampa Bay Rowdies 3||House Park; Austin, Texas|
|May 22||Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2, Rochester Rhinos 0||Swangard Stadium; Burnaby, British Columbia|
|May 22||Crystal Palace Baltimore 2, Portland Timbers 1||UMBC Stadium; Cantonsville, Md.|
|May 22||AC St. Louis 0, Tampa Bay Rowdies 3||Anheuser-Busch Soccer Park; St. Louis, Mo.|
|May 22||Miami FC 1, NSC Minnesota Stars 0||Lockhart Stadium; Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.|
Week 7 Quick Hits
- After going winless in their opening four matches, Crystal Palace Baltimore have now won three of their last four to surge to third place in the NASL Conference standings, just two points back of leaders Vancouver Whitecaps FC.
- Miami FC earned their first win of the season after five draws in their first five matches. The south Florida club remain the only unbeaten team in the league.
- The Portland Timbers have now gone winless in their last four with three defeats after starting the season unbeaten in their first four games, which included three victories.
Week 8 Preview
A busy Week 8 of the USSF D-2 Pro League kicks off on Wednesday, May 26, with a marquee matchup of undefeated Miami FC and league leaders Austin Aztex at Lockhart Stadium at 7:30 p.m. ET in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. Later in the evening, the Puerto Rico Islanders return to D-2 Pro League action when they take on the Carolina RailHawks in Vayamon, Puerto Rico at 8:05 p.m. ET. The Tampa Bay Rowdies will play host to the NSC Minnesota Stars on a Thursday evening when they clash at George M. Steinbrenner Field in Tampa at 7:30 p.m. on May 27. Saturday, May 29 will see four games contested, starting with Vancouver Whitecaps FC visiting Rochester at 7 p.m. ET after the two teams played in Week 7 in Vancouver. Also at 7 p.m. ET, Crystal Palace Baltimore will look to continue their good form but face a stern test when Austin pays a visit to UMBC Stadium. The Tampa Bay Rowdies will play at home for the second time in three days when the Puerto Rico Islanders visit at 7:30 p.m. ET, while the Midwest battle between the NSC Minnesota Stars and AC St. Louis will kick off at 8 p.m. ET at the National Sports Center in Blaine, Minn. The weekend will come to a close in Montreal as the Carolina RailHawks visit for a 2 p.m. ET match on Sunday, May 30.
Week 8 Schedule
|May 26||Miami FC vs. Austin Aztex||7:30 p.m.||Lockhart Stadium; Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.|
|May 26||Puerto Rico Islanders vs. Carolina RailHawks||8:05 p.m.||Estadio Juan Ramon Loubriel; Vayamon, Puerto Rico|
|May 27||Tampa Bay Rowdies vs. NSC Minnesota Stars||7:30 p.m.||George M. Steinbrenner Field; Tampa, Fla.|
|May 29||Rochester Rhinos vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC||7 p.m.||Marina Auto Stadium; Rochester, N.Y.|
|May 29||NSC Minnesota Stars vs. AC St. Louis||8 p.m.||National Sports Center; Blaine, Minn.|
|May 29||Crystal Palace Baltimore vs. Austin Aztex||7 p.m.||UMBC Stadium; Cantonsville, Md.|
|May 29||Tampa Bay Rowdies vs. Puerto Rico Islanders||7:30 p.m.||George M. Steinbrenner Field; Tampa, Fla.|
|May 30||Montreal Impact vs. Carolina RailHawks||2 p.m.||Stade Saputo; Montreal, Quebec|
Week 8 Notes
- League leaders Austin Aztex will visit undefeated Miami FC on May 26 in a matchup of two of the best performing teams in the 2010 season.
- After playing just one home game in 2010, the Tampa Bay Rowdies will be at home twice in three days when the NSC Minnesota Stars visit on May 27 followed by the Puerto Rico Islanders on May 29.
- Eight games are taking place in Week 8 - the most games contested in one week thus far this season.
- Full Schedule and League Standings
- Individual Player Stats Leaders
- Goalkeeping Stats Leaders
- Team Stats