USSF D-2 Pro League Week 5 Concludes with Five Matches on Saturday, May 8
Week 5 Recap and Week 6 Preview of the 2010 USSF D-2 Pro League
May 10, 2010
© U.S. Soccer
Week 5 Recap
Week 5 of the USSF D-2 Pro League saw some movement at the top of the USL Conference as the Rochester Rhinos took advantage of Portland's idle week to jump to the summit of the standings by way of a 2-1 home win against AC St. Louis. The Montreal Impact continued a string of good results at home by taking the first match of the weekend 2-1 against the NSC Minnesota Stars, while Crystal Palace Baltimore earned their first points of the season by grinding out a 0-0 draw during a visit to NASL Conference leaders Vancouver Whitecaps FC. The Tampa Bay Rowdies debuted at home with a 2-2 tie against the visiting Austin Aztex, who joined Portland for second place in the USL Conference with 10 points. Miami FC continued their streak of drawing matches with their fourth in a row in a 1-1 game at home to the Carolina RailHawks.
Week 5 Results
|May 8||Montreal Impact 2, NSC Minnesota Stars 1||Stade Saputo; Montreal, Quebec|
|May 8||Rochester Rhinos 2, AC St. Louis 1||Marina Auto Stadium; Rochester, N.Y.|
|May 8||Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0, Crystal Palace Baltimore 0||Swangard Stadium; Burnaby, British Columbia|
|May 8||Tampa Bay Rowdies 2, Austin Aztex 2||George M. Steinbrenner Field; Tampa, Fla.|
|May 8||Miami FC 1, Carolina RailHawks 1||Lockhart Stadium; Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.|
Week 5 Quick Hits
- With the game against Crystal Palace Baltimore, Vancouver Whitecaps FC started a stretch of three consecutive home games and five of their next six will be at Swangard Stadium.
- In four league matches this season, Miami FC has four points after chalking up four straight draws.
- The home opener in Tampa marked the third time in their first five games that the Austin Aztex have been the visitors during a USSF D-2 Pro League home debut - the other two coming at Minnesota and St. Louis.
- After two weeks, no game in the month of May has been decided by more than one goal.
Week 6 Preview
Week 6 of the USSF D-2 Pro League will kick off with a Thursday matchup between the Portland Timbers and Crystal Palace Baltimore at 10 p.m. ET, as the Maryland club will look to continue its West Coast success last week when they visit the Timbers at PGE Park. The Tampa Bay Rowdies will travel up to Cary, N.C., on Friday evening to take on the Carolina RailHawks at 7 p.m. ET in a cross-conference match. The weekend opens up on Saturday evening with the NSC Minnesota Stars playing host to Miami FC in Blaine, Minn., at 8 p.m. ET with both teams eager to earn points to keep pace with their conference leaders. Portland will be at home for their second match in three days at 10 p.m. ET when AC St. Louis visits PGE Park, while just up the coast, the Montreal Impact will be visiting Vancouver Whitecaps FC in a 10:30 p.m ET struggle for NASL Conference supremacy. Rounding out the weekend, Crystal Palace Baltimore will be on the road again when they visit the Austin Aztex at House Park at 7 p.m. on Sunday evening.
Week 6 Schedule
|May 13||Portland Timbers vs. Crystal Palace Baltimore||10 p.m.||PGE Park; Portland, Ore.|
|May 14||Carolina RailHawks vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies||7 p.m.||WakeMed Soccer Park; Cary, N.C.|
|May 15||NSC Minnesota Stars vs. Miami FC||8 p.m.||National Sports Center; Blaine, Minn.|
|May 15||Portland Timbers vs. AC St. Louis||10 p.m.||PGE Park; Portland, Ore.|
|May 15||Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. Montreal Impact||10:30 p.m.||Swangard Stadium; Burnaby, British Columbia|
|May 16||Austin Aztex vs. Crystal Palace Baltimore||7 p.m.||House Park; Austin, Texas|
Week 6 Notes
- Tampa Bay midfielder Jeremy Christie has been named to the initial 23-man World Cup roster for New Zealand. He is one of 12 players based overseas on the Kiwi roster.
- All six Week 6 matches will be inter-conference matchups, aside from the Canadian derby between Vancouver Whitecaps FC and the Montreal Impact, who are both poised to take control of the NASL Conference.
- After five games each, the Carolina RailHawks and Tampa Bay Rowdies have identical 1-1-2 records (5 points) heading into their matchup on Friday night.
- The Rochester Rhinos and Puerto Rico Islanders will be idle in Week 6.