Week 6 of the USSF D-2 Pro League Sees Austin Take Charge with League's Best Record
Week 6 Recap and Week 7 Preview of the 2010 USSF D-2 Pro League
May 17, 2010
© U.S. Soccer
Week 6 Recap
Week 6 of the USSF D-2 Pro League got off to a surprise start on Wednesday, May 13, with Crystal Palace Baltimore earning its first win of the season by defeating the previously unbeaten Portland Timbers 1-0 on the road. The following evening, the Tampa Bay Rowdies earned three valuable road points as they beat the Carolina RailHawks 2-1 to move up the USL Conference standings. Saturday, May 15, saw three draws played out as Miami FC and the NSC Minnesota Stars tied 1-1 in Blaine, Minn., and AC St. Louis found a late equalizer to grab a point away to Portland in another 1-1 tie. Later in the evening, the Canadian derby ended scoreless as the Montreal Impact picked up a point on the road at Swangard Stadium against Vancouver Whitecaps FC. The weekend wrapped up in Austin, where the Aztex were victorious at home against Crystal Palace Baltimore. That result, combined with Portland's loss and tie allowed Austin to seize control of the overall standings where they now sit in first place with 13 points.
Week 6 Results
|May 13||Portland Timbers 0, Crystal Palace Baltimore 1||PGE Park; Portland, Ore.|
|May 14||Carolina RailHawks 1, Tampa Bay Rowdies 2||WakeMed Soccer Park; Cary, N.C.|
|May 15||NSC Minnesota Stars 1, Miami FC 1||National Sports Center; Blaine, Minn.|
|May 15||Portland Timbers 1, AC St. Louis 1||PGE Park; Portland, Ore.|
|May 15||Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0, Montreal Impact 0||Swangard Stadium; Burnaby, British Columbia|
|May 16||Austin Aztex 2, Crystal Palace Baltimore 1||House Park; Austin, Texas|
Week 6 Quick Hits
- After Portland's loss to Crystal Palace Baltimore, Miami FC holds the distinction of being the only undefeated club and the only winless club in the league. They are currently in fourth place of the NASL Conference with five points after five draws.
- Although Vancouver has scored more goals (4) than only one other team on the season, they have only allowed a league-low two goals in six games to help them still sit atop the NASL Conference with nine points.
- With their 2-1 win against Crystal Palace Baltimore, Austin has scored a league-best 11 goals in six games - two more than their closest competitors Rochester Rhinos, the only club that has defeated them this season.
Week 7 Preview
The Montreal Impact will be on the West Coast again in Week 7 when they take on the Portland Timbers at PGE Park at 10 p.m. ET on Wednesday, May 19. Two more Wednesday matches are scheduled on the week with the Rochester Rhinos playing host to Crystal Palace Baltimore at 7 p.m. and the Austin Aztex will look to continue their good form at home to the Tampa Bay Rowdies at 8:30 p.m. ET. A Crystal Palace Baltimore versus Portland Timbers rematch will kick off the weekend when the Timbers visit Maryland at 7 p.m. ET on May 22 after Crystal Palace handed them their first loss of the season last week. The NSC Minnesota Stars will travel to Miami FC in a cross-conference matchup at 7:30 p.m. ET, and the Tampa Bay Rowdies will take on AC St. Louis at Anheuser-Busch Soccer Park at 8:10 p.m. ET. The weekend will wrap up at 10 p.m. ET as the Rochester Rhinos will look to keep pace in the USL Conference when they take on NASL Conference Leaders Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Swangard Stadium at 10 p.m. ET.
Week 7 Schedule
|May 19||Portland Timbers vs. Montreal Impact||10 p.m.||PGE Park; Portland, Ore.|
|May 19||Rochester Rhinos vs. Crystal Palace Baltimore||7 p.m.||Marina Auto Stadium; Rochester, N.Y.|
|May 19||Austin Aztex vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies||8:30 p.m.||House Park; Austin, Texas|
|May 22||Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. Rochester Rhinos||10 p.m.||Swangard Stadium; Burnaby, British Columbia|
|May 22||Crystal Palace Baltimore vs. Portland Timbers||7 p.m.||UMBC Stadium; Cantonsville, Md.|
|May 22||AC St. Louis vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies||8:10 p.m.||Anheuser-Busch Soccer Park; St. Louis, Mo.|
|May 22||Miami FC vs. NSC Minnesota Stars||7:30 p.m.||Lockhart Stadium; Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.|
Week 7 Notes
- Six of the seven Week 7 matches are inter-conference matchups. The only game that features rivals of the same conference will be Tampa Bay away to Austin, who are both of the USL Conference, on Wednesday, May 19, at 8:30 p.m. ET.
- After playing to a 1-1 draw in Minnesota, the NSC Minnesota Stars and Miami FC will clash again in Ft. Lauderdale just one week later.
- Crystal Palace Baltimore will play its first home after five straight away matches when they play host to the Portland Timbers on May 22.
- Full Schedule and League Standings
- Individual Player Stats Leaders
- Goalkeeping Stats Leaders
- Team Stats NEW