Short Week Starts Push for the Playoffs in USSF D-2 Pro League
Week 22 Recap and Week 23 Preview of the USSF D-2 Pro League
Sep. 7, 2010
© U.S. Soccer
Week 22 Recap
The Austin Aztex climbed back atop the league standings, while the Carolina RailHawks made up ground at the top of the NASL Conference in Week 22 of the USSF D-2 Pro League. The week started with Portland earning three points against the Puerto Rico Islanders by a 1-0 score in their final home match of the season. The Carolina RailHawks blanked Crystal Palace Baltimore 3-0 on Friday, while the Austin Aztex lept over Rochester in the league standings on Saturday with a 2-0 win against the NSC Minnesota Stars at House Park in Austin. Sunday's pair of matches saw Puerto Rico earn a valuable road point against Vancouver and AC St. Louis keep their playoff hopes alive with a 3-1 victory against Miami FC.
Week 22 Results
|Sept. 2||Portland Timbers 1, Puerto Rico Islanders 0||10 p.m.||PGE Park; Portland, Ore.|
|Sept. 3||Carolina RailHawks 3, Crystal Palace Baltimore 0||7 p.m.||WakeMed Soccer Park; Cary, N.C.|
|Sept. 4||Austin Aztex 2, NSC Minnesota Stars 0||8:30 p.m.||House Park; Austin, Texas|
|Sept. 5||Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0, Puerto Rico Islanders 0||7 p.m.||Swangard Stadium; Burnaby, British Columbia|
|Sept. 5||AC St. Louis 3, Miami FC 1||7 p.m.||Anheuser-Busch Soccer Park; St. Louis, Mo.|
Week 22 Quick Hits
- Portland finished their home schedule with a win against Puerto Rico taking their record at PGE Park to 7-3-5 on the year.
- Austin reclaimed top spot in the league standings, holding a one-point advantage over Rochester despite having played two less games.
- No teams have been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.
Week 23 Preview
Week 23 starts with a Wednesday prelude before all 12 teams are in action on Saturday. The midweek match will see the Montreal Impact travel to Puerto Rico for an 8:05 p.m. ET kickoff in Bayamon. Crystal Palace Baltimore and Vancouver Whitecaps FC get the Saturday, Sept. 11, league play underway in Towson, Md. at 5 p.m. ET. Later in the evening, the Tampa Bay Rowdies visit the Rochester Rhinos and the Carolina RailHawks welcome the Portland Timbers at 7 p.m. ET. Montreal plays their second game of the week when they face Miami FC at 7:30 p.m. ET in Ft. Lauderdale and Puerto Rico completes their week at home against the Austin Aztex at 8:05 p.m. Wrapping up the weekend, AC St. Louis hosts Midwest rivals NSC Minnesota Stars at 8:10 p.m. ET.
Week 23 Schedule
|Sept. 8||Puerto Rico Islanders vs. Montreal Impact||8:05 p.m.||Estadio Juan Ramon Loubriel; Bayamon, Puerto Rico|
|Sept. 11||Crystal Palace Baltimore vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC||5 p.m.||Paul Angelo Russo Field; Towson, Md.|
|Sept. 11||Rochester Rhinos vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies||7 p.m.||Marina Auto Stadium; Rochester, N.Y.|
|Sept. 11||Carolina RailHawks vs. Portland Timbers||7 p.m.||WakeMed Soccer Park; Cary, N.C.|
|Sept. 11||AC St. Louis vs. NSC Minnesota Stars||8:10 p.m.||Anheuser-Busch Soccer Park; St. Louis, Mo.|
|Sept. 11||Miami FC vs. Montreal Impact||7:30 p.m.||Lockhart Stadium; Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.|
|Sept. 11||Puerto Rico Islanders vs. Austin Aztex||8:05 p.m.||Estadio Juan Ramon Loubriel; Bayamon, Puerto Rico|
Week 23 Notes
- St. Louis can jump into playoff contention with a win against Minnesota, who currently occupy the final playoff spot and have just two more points than the Missouri club.
- Carolina will be looking for a big win at home against Portland as they look to stay within striking distance of NASL Conference-leading Vancouver.
- Both Montreal and Puerto Rico will be looking to capitalize on their two games this week as they look to solidify their playoff spots and pull away from the eighth position.
- Full Schedule and League Standings
- Playoff Standings
- Individual Player Stats Leaders
- Goalkeeping Stats Leaders
- Team Stats