Under-20s: Steffen has yet to earn a cap for the U-20 MNT, but he did receive his first call-up with the squad when he served as the backup to Kendall McIntosh during the 2012 Marbella Cup in Spain. Steffen was the No. 3 goalkeeper during the 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship … Under-18s: Was the primary U-18 MNT goalkeeper in 2012, earning call-ups the Lisbon International Tournament in May, the September training camp in the Netherlands and the U-18 team’s November training camp at the Home Depot Center, starting both friendlies against Canada. He posted a shutout during a scoreless draw against Slovakia on May 24.
DALLAS, Texas (April 16, 2014) – Rubio Rubin’s first-half goal helped the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team top Bracket C of the Gordon Jago Super Group with a 1-0 win against Mexico’s UANL Tigres on Wednesday night at the Cotton Bowl.
The U-20 MNT (3-0-0, 9pts) moves on to play Brazilian club Fluminense (2-0-1, 7pts), which won Bracket B, in one Dallas Cup semifinal, while Bracket A winners Coritiba (3-0-0, 9pts), also from Brazil, face Bracket C runners-up River Plate (2-1-0, 6pts) of Argentina in the other. Both semifinal matches will be played Friday at the Cotton Bowl with Coritiba-River Plate kicking off at 5 p.m. CT, followed by the evening’s marquee match between the U-20 MNT and Fluminense at 7 p.m.
The only goal of the U-20 MNT-Tigres game came just before the break when U.S. defender Shaquell Moore slipped a pass to Rubin, who dribbled past multiple Tigres defenders before finding the back of the net with a well-driven strike to the lower left corner.
Fielding a speedy, technical line-up, the U-20 MNT went close on two other occasions only to be denied by the woodwork. In the 27th minute, Ben Spencer glanced a header off the crossbar from a Paul Arriola corner kick. Arriola, handed the captain’s armband for the match, then went close himself in the second half, striking a thunderous volley from 25 yards out that also met the crossbar.
Already eliminated from semifinal contention, Tigres gave the U-20 MNT a stiff contest throughout, but the American’s defense held firm under later pressure with help from goalkeeper Zack Steffen to preserve the shutout victory.
- U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team Match Report -
Match: United States U-20 Men’s National Team vs. UANL Tigres
Date: April 16, 2014
Competition: Dallas Cup
Venue: Cotton Bowl
Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. CT
Weather: 65 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
UANL 0 0 0
USA 1 0 0
USA - Rubio Rubin (Shaqell Moore) 45th minute
USA: 1-Zack Steffen; 2-Shaquell Moore, 4-Matthew Miazga, 3-Michael Amick, 15-John Requejo Jr (21-Jesus Vazquez, 70); 16-Lynden Gooch (17-Luis Felipe, 63), 7-Paul Arriola (13-Erik Palmer-Brown, 88), 23-Jordan Allen (10-Romain Gall, 64); 20-Benji Lopez (24-Zach Pfeffer, 46), 11-Ben Spencer (14-Amando Moreno, 79), 9-Rubio Rubin
Subs Not Used: 12-Santiago Castano
Head Coach: Tab Ramos
UANL: 110-Jossue Garza; 85-David Navarro, 42-Jose Lara, 38-Jose Juan Garcia, 26-Jair Zacarias (11-Julian Aldair Carmona, 50); 115-Victor Hugo Alvarado, 122-Ramon Garcia, 47-Luis Martinez, 120-Oscar Cardona (86-Julio Ibarra, 60); 89-Fernando Cruz (52-Edgar Hernandez, 75), 123-Omar Ramos
Subs Not Used: 106-Marco Benitez, 76-Emanuel Estrada, 46-Baldemar Moreno, 125-Aldo Quintanilla
Head Coach: Angel Martinez
Stats Summary: USA / UANL
Shots: 12 / 6
Shots on Goal: 6 / 4
Saves: 4 / 5
Corner Kicks: 9 / 5
Fouls: 18 / 12
Offside: 1 / 1
UANL - Jair Zacarias (caution) 49
UANL - Luis Martinez (caution) 65
UANL - Jose Juan Garcia (caution) 86
USA - Paul Arriola (caution) 86
Referee: Mario Escobar
Assistant Referee: Rene Ochoa
Assistant Referee: Omar Levia
Fourth Official: Riccardo Montero
CHICAGO (April 9, 2014) – U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team head coach Tab Ramos has named a 21-player roster for the 35th edition of the Dallas Cup, which takes place April 13-20 in Dallas, Texas. The U.S. is in Bracket C of the Gordon Jago Super Group along with U-19 sides from Eintracht Frankfurt of Germany, River Plate of Argentina and UANL Tigres of Mexico.
Making its fifth all-time appearance at the competition and first since 2010, the U-20 MNT’s first match will be the marquee game of the opening day of the tournament. Following a pair of Super Group matches and the Welcome World Opening Ceremonies, the U.S. will play River Plate at 6:30 p.m. CT in the Cotton Bowl on April 13. The U.S. then plays its second match less than 24 hours later against Eintracht Frankfurt on the campus of Richland College at 4 p.m. CT.
The U.S. concludes Bracket C play against UANL Tigres on April 16. The location and time of the match will be determined by results in the first two rounds across Super Group Brackets A, B and C with the purpose being to hold the two most potentially dramatic games of bracket play in the Cotton Bowl.
The roster relies heavily on players who have previously been involved in the U.S. Youth National Team program or received a call-up to the current edition of the U.S. U-20 MNT. Nineteen players either took part in the team’s foreign training camp in Verona, Italy last November or its domestic training camp held in Lakewood Ranch, Fla., this past January.
Of the two players receiving their first call-up to the U-20 National Team, only Erik Palmer-Brown (Sporting Kansas City) has previously represented the U.S. at the Youth National Team level; Jesus Vazquez (UANL Tigres) is receiving his first call-up at any level for the U.S.
Also a relative newcomer to the Youth National Team program, Luis Felipe (Cruzeiro) is receiving his second call-up to a U.S. roster; his only previous experience with the U.S. came during the U-20 MNT’s recent January camp.
The next event for the U.S. U-20 MNT after the Dallas Cup will be a domestic training camp held at North Carolina State University in May.
Roster by Position:
GOALKEEPERS (2) : Santiago Castano (NewYork Red Bulls; Union City, N.J.), Zack Steffen (Maryland; Downington, Pa.)
DEFENDERS (8): Michael Amick (UCLA; Sunnyvale, Calif.), Sullaiman Dainkeh (Maryland; Reston, Va.), Trevor Haberkorn (Furman; Roanoke, Texas), Matthew Miazga (New York Red Bulls; Clifton, N.J.), Shaquell Moore (Unattached; Powder Springs, Ga.), Erik Palmer-Brown (Sporting KC; Lee’s Summit, Mo.), John Requejo Jr. (Real So Cal; Carpinteria, Calif.), Jesus Vazquez (UANL Tigres; San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
MIDFIELDERS (5): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; Plano, Texas), Marco Delgado (Chivas USA; Glendora, Calif.), Luis Felipe (Cruzeiro; Ouro Branco, Brazil), Romain Gall (FC Lorient; Herndon, Va.), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland; Santa Cruz, Calif.)
FORWARDS (6): Jordan Allen (Real Salt Lake; Rochester, N.Y.), Benji Lopez (Real Salt Lake; San Diego, Calif.), Amando Moreno (Club Tijuana; Morganville, N.J.), Zach Pfeffer (Philadelphia Union; Dresher, Pa.), Rubio Rubin (Unattached; Beaverton, Ore.), Ben Spencer (Indy Eleven; Albuquerque, N.M.)
- The U-20 MNT roster is made up of players primarily born in 1995, with the exceptions being Luis Felipe, Shaquell Moore, John Requejo Jr. and Rubio Rubin, who were all born in 1996, as well as the only 1997-born player, Erik Palmer-Brown.
- Sixteen players have ties to U.S. Soccer Delevopment academy clubs including: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Jordan Allen (Revolution Empire/Real Salt Lake AZ), Michael Amick (De Anza Force), Santiago Castano (New York Red Bulls), Marco Delgado (Chivas USA), Romain Gall (Real Salt Lake AZ), Trevor Haberkorn (Solar Chelsea SC), Benji Lopez (Real Salt Lake AZ), Matthew Miazga (New York Red Bulls), Moore (IMG Academy), Amando Moreno (New York Red Bulls), Palmer-Brown (Sporting Kansas City), Zach Pfeffer (FC DELCO), Requejo Jr. (Real So Cal), Ben Spencer (Real Salt Lake AZ/Chivas USA) and Zack Steffen (FC DELCO)
- Acosta and Steffen were teammates on the USA’s 2013 U-20 World Cup team.
- Thirteen players on the team began their time with the U.S. Youth National Team program at the U-14/15 Boys’ National Team level, including: Acosta, Allen, Castano, Delgado, Gooch, Haberkorn, Miazga, Palmer-Brown, Pfeffer, Requejo Jr., Rubin, Spencer and Steffen.
- Nine players are signed with professional clubs in the U.S. at either the MLS or NASL level: Acosta (FC Dallas), Allen (Real Salt Lake), Castano (New York Red Bulls), Delgado (Chivas USA), Benji Lopez (Real Salt Lake), Miazga (New York Red Bulls), Palmer-Brown (Sporting Kansas City), Pfeffer (Philadelphia Union) and Ben Spencer (Indy Eleven).
- Eight players took part in both of the U-20 MNT’s first two training camps of the current cycle that began last fall, including: Castano, Delgado, Lopez, Miazga, Moore, Moreno, Pfeffer and Requejo Jr.
- Four players only participated in the team’s foreign training camp Verona, Italy, last November, including: Acosta, Gall, Gooch and Spencer, while a further seven only attended the January camp in Lakewood Ranch, Fla., including: Allen, Amick, Dainkeh, Felipe, Haberkorn and Rubin.
Date of Birth
Apr 2, 1995